Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Wizard of the Trail

Vee rubber tubes and mission tires

I have seen the vee rubber tires and tubes on some websites for decent prices. Anyone have any experience with these? I'm more interested with the knobbies on the mission tire. Are they low like devist8ers or tall like a Nate ? Thanks for any info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

mtbr member
    Low knobblers on the missions. I didnt buy mine with high performance expectations. I wanted less expensive tires to not worry about. They are thick and heavy which is fine with me and the roll fine on all surfaces I've tried. They grab and self steer more than larry. Once I got used to it I don't notice too much. They took some fiddling to seat evenly and without any hops. Overall I'm happy with them. Glad to have a less expensive tire.

Wizard of the Trail
    Have you used the devist8ers? They self steer too, but because they have a flat profile. When i first mounted them, i thought i had a flat or too low of a pressure. I feel it has nothing to do with the knobbies. How does the mission perform on snow? I have Nates and devist8ers. I've yet to try out the devist8ers on snow. They are very stout and excellent in the months without snow. I run the nates in snow only. I was basically looking for a cheap alternative to Nates. If anyone has owned both devist8ers and missions, I would be happy to read your input on the differences.

mtbr member
    Wish I could provide input on snow riding. We don't get any here. They're ok in sand and loose dirt and leaves.

They're pretty round and grab anyway. Don't notice it on the trails, mostly on hard stuff. Haven't ridden devastators.

I suspect the missions won't hold as well as nates on snow based solely on pictures of nates and my experience with missions. Would love to find out otherwise though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Geist262 View Post
    Have you used the devist8ers? They self steer too, but because they have a flat profile. When i first mounted them, i thought i had a flat or too low of a pressure. I feel it has nothing to do with the knobbies. How does the mission perform on snow? I have Nates and devist8ers. I've yet to try out the devist8ers on snow. They are very stout and excellent in the months without snow. I run the nates in snow only. I was basically looking for a cheap alternative to Nates. If anyone has owned both devist8ers and missions, I would be happy to read your input on the differences.

Snow: Replaced the Endomorph rear (terrible traction) with a Nate (amazing traction). Replaced the Larry front (poor steering) with a Devist8er ultrlight foldable (good steering, make sure to mount reverse direction). Happy with 8er. Good price, good performance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Just installed a pair of devist8rs on Clownshoes last night - there is some of the self-steer, but for $35/tire they work really well and will hold me over until I can afford Bud/Lou

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Geist262 View Post
    I have seen the vee rubber tires and tubes on some websites for decent prices. Anyone have any experience with these? I'm more interested with the knobbies on the mission tire. Are they low like devist8ers or tall like a Nate ? Thanks for any info.

The Mission self steers hard when you lean or are on steep off cambers. Lean and the front wheel flops over.

Do not feel this with the Big Fat Larry or Nate.

All on Large Marge.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Wizard of the Trail
    Thanks for the input guys. Right now I have no reason to change. I was hoping the mission would be a cheap alternative to the Nate, but not so.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I moved my Devist8or to the rear and backwards (V pointing to the rear) and ran it with low pressure (about 4psi), and it worked well yesterday with a Nate on the front. I was riding packed/groomed snowmobile trails and had almost 0 slippage. A riding buddy had more slippage with a Nate at 8psi.

When I ran it on the front with the Vs forward, what is devistated was my steering ability.

Wizard of the Trail
    Stockli Boy, I had the same issue you did. I just increased pressure sp it would round out. I was at around 10 psi, which is high for me.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Just put a Vee Mission on my Pug, replacing the Endomorph, only because my preferred tires, Knard @ rear and Nate @ front aren't available. The Mission is over a pound heavier than the Endomorph, but on the Marge Lites, the profile is relatively round and doesn't seem to cause any steering issues.

Wizard of the Trail
    Thanks for the report. I plan on getting one for the front and run a devist8er in the rear for summer.

Living the thug life.
    I am pretty sure those devist8er don't self steer because of shape, but the casing. They have incredibly stiff cases that with equally high rolling resistance. I have used them as a pair, the rear, and compared to other tires of mine. No doubt these roll considerably slower and the self steering is borderline dangerous. Find yourself some used tires before getting these I say. I have the cheaper ones, btw.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Logantri View Post
    They have incredibly stiff cases that with equally high rolling resistance. I have used them as a pair, the rear, and compared to other tires of mine. No doubt these roll considerably slower and the self steering is borderline dangerous. Find yourself some used tires before getting these I say. I have the cheaper ones, btw.
    This refers to the Devast8ers right? I'm thinking about a set of Vee Rubber Mission tires for summer use so as not to wear down expensive snow tires.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by FrY10cK View Post
    This refers to the Devast8ers right? I'm thinking about a set of Vee Rubber Mission tires for summer use so as not to wear down expensive snow tires.
    I dunno if I'd want to run either tire on the front; they're heavy! weighing ver a pound heavier, you're notice that in the handling, regardless of the stiff sidewalls and/or self-steering tendencies. Persnally, I'd run the better tires in the summer if they're available. one thing I learned from years in motorcycle roadracing is that tires are a worthwhile investment. While different in many ways, it's certainly applicable in the case of fat bikes. If I could get a knard or a Nate, I wouldn't be running this tire, regardless of the weather.

Dirt Huffer
    How much does the Devist8or ultra lite weigh?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    How much does the Devist8or ultra lite weigh?
    for sake of discussion lets be clear it's not UL despite the sidewall label.........1800gm +/- some.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    the Vee Mission was 4.06 pounds, or 1841 grams for a 60tpi carcass, which is most likely the same carcass as the Devist8er.

Living the thug life.
    Quote Originally Posted by FrY10cK View Post
    Yes.
    I proudly ride for these guys.

My blog.

Human Test Subject
    When the best review is basically "they're ok... if you do this" I'd say spring for better tires.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'm really hoping on one is going to make their floater tire available soon. Saw a weight of 1480g on another thread and being on one I expect the price to be fairly low. Some people just can't justify or afford to drop $300 on a set of bike tires.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Cost and availability seem to be the better points for these tires. You can actually get these tires.

People say you forget about what you paid for something even if you think you paid too much. I paid the silly buthole price of ~$300 for a set of tires about 3-4 months ago. It still sits very poorly with me. I will likely on do that once.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    why all the discussion? If you are racing, obviously you'd spring for the expensive, lighter tires.. if you're just dickin' around with the bike, and have the money to blow, you'll buy the more expensive tires... if you' re dickin' around and do not have the money to blow, you'll likely buy the tires that are significantly cheaper which still give you the "fat" profile.

Those three categories I just laid out do not overlap, and the cost/benefit ratio differential of the two types of tires do not push an individual from one category to another.

mtbr member
    I bought the Vees so I could abuse them without worrying too much about the cost of a new tire. They do the job brilliantly. They're heavy as all get out, and about as thick, which is nice for exploring the city and suburbs by fatbike. I inadvertently crushed a bunch of glass from a broken bottle with the tires and feared the worst, but they are unscathed. If anything, I expect my legs to feel great when I throw on some lighter tires. Worry less, ride more. Better quality, affordable tires will come around shortly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by vaultbrad View Post
    I bought the Vees so I could abuse them without worrying too much about the cost of a new tire. They do the job brilliantly.
    This sounds like what I want for beating around town this coming summer. Next Fall maybe I'll throw down the $300+ for something light.

Thanks to Geist262 for starting the thread.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast