Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Logantri View Post
    I am pretty sure those devist8er don't self steer because of shape, but the casing. They have incredibly stiff cases that with equally high rolling resistance. I have used them as a pair, the rear, and compared to other tires of mine. No doubt these roll considerably slower and the self steering is borderline dangerous. Find yourself some used tires before getting these I say. I have the cheaper ones, btw.
    Good to hear this from someone in far better shape than me.

Did you notice if they were even stiffer when approaching 0 F? I took so much pressure out the other day that I could feel the tube retract from the sidewall, and still the wall still didn't deform like I wanted.

Worst fat product I've bought so far

My aim for them was to aggressively stud only the side knobs of a tire, while having somewhat low profile knobs to roll more easily while riding to a trail instead of driving to it. Totally fell short of expectations.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

Nemophilist
    Hey;

In my experience, there are three areas of difference between the 27 and 120TPI tires. Price & weight, obviously. The third is ride. I cannot quantify any of this in hard evidence. I only have my impression of the two carcass types.

I have 120TPI HuDu's and 27TPI Nates. My only "complaint" about the HuDu's is that they seem a little "fragile." Like they will just shred apart in rougher terrain. Thankfully I have had no issues like that. Besides that so far unfounded fear, I like them A LOT.

Obviously the Nates have a far more aggressive tread, and they hook up well in terms of bite to the dirt/mud/snow. The interesting thing to me is that the traction does not seem as good as the HuDu's over objects like rocks & roots. I seem to note the bike skipping out and dancing around a lot more with the 27TPI Nates than with the 120TPI HuDu's. It is my impression from reading that the HuDu has a fairly soft compound, and this may have an effect here. However, my gut tells me that it is the suppleness of the casing on the HuDu that absorbs and almost "grips" objects like suction cups.

Naturally, it would be better if I were comparing the two carcass types in the same model of tire. It would be quite interesting to see if the same impressions held.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    i bought a fat bike for the sole purpose of winter single track riding in the rocky mtns. my bike came with Mission Vees. basically crap in snow. not too shabby on weight though...1433 g for the 72tpi version.
    my advice, unless you need this tire for less aggresive riding or other season use, save up for a Nate type treaded tire.
    all dee best

mtbr member
    I'm leaning towards Vee's Snowshoe XL for my build, but seeing as how my bike won't be ready to go this winter, I won't need 'em until next. Meanwhile, I'll run the Missions to get my bike built and the cockpit set up the way I want it, 'cuz they're cheap and I mostly want the fatbike for winter use. Even though I know they basically suck, I've had no other option on the Wo I've been renting, but it's really obvious the second you try something better on snow/ice.
    Denver Broncos: 98-3 since 1975 when scoring 30+ at home. Shaky start, but you know you're worried...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2