mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Vee Rubber Snowshoe direction

My tires came mounted correctly, but analyzing the tread they look backwards.

Most of my other tires have the ramps to the knobs on the leading edge. These tires the square edge is forward and the ramp on the trailing edge.

Thoughts?

Make some music
    Sep 2004
    H-Billies are in the same boat regarding tire direction and tread ramp. I mounted the front leading with the ramp and rear is square for the snow.

Fun stuff!
    J.O.R.B.A. More than just tm. WWW.JORBA.ORG

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Groovy. No snow or big hills here so I'll probably try ramps forward for both and see how it goes. Thanks!

mtbr member
    I wound up running my snowshoes this way - at the contact patch on the front wheel, square edge facing forward for max braking/traction, in the rear with the square face facing backward at contact patch for max propulsion/grip. I loved the snowshoes for anything and everything right up until spring snow conditions arrived (in January no less). Higher moisture content snow made these useless for my area. Now running Bud/Lou, but changing back to snowshoes for Utah spring break desert riding.

mtbr member
    I have been running snowshoe xl studded all winter and wasn't crazy about traction on ice or grip on snow climbs. Today I reversed them and I felt both ice traction and climbing improved. Maybe cornering was a fraction worse, but that might have been in my head. I don't like going against a manufacturers recommended direction, but in this case I am leaving them on in reverse.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I reversed the rear tire earlier this winter for a Snowshoe XL 4.8" , studded Vee. Noticeably better climbing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by endo_alley View Post
    I reversed the rear tire earlier this winter for a Snowshoe XL 4.8" , studded Vee. Noticeably better climbing.
    I reversed them both. Is there a reason why you didn't reverse the front. Have you tried it both ways?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by SalsaSalsa View Post
    I reversed them both. Is there a reason why you didn't reverse the front. Have you tried it both ways?
    I assumed that the ramps help with rolling resistance. And since the front tire does not give the bike any propulsion, it did not need the square cuts digging into the snow . The ramps in the direction of travel would be a little smoother.