Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Vee-Rubber Snowshoe 4.7 weight

Vee-Rubber just emailed me the official weights of the new 4.7 Snowshoe that I designed with them (they will sell it to anyone, though, except to other Norwegian bike brands, as per agreement)

Must admit that I was surprised at the weight.
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes
    Our fatbike videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/NDprototyping?feature=mhee

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    Vee-Rubber just emailed me the official weights of the new 4.7 Snowshoe that I designed with them (they will sell it to anyone, though, except to other Norwegian bike brands, as per agreement)

Must admit that I was surprised at the weight.

all that and no chips?? why post about it but leave it out?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Alrighty, good to see that folks are still interested in the data

Lightest version, 120tpi, folding, new silica compound edition comes in at 1260g
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I could not believe the weight (and need to put it on my personal scale first), but Vee have so far been very conservative with claims.
    For example: 120tpi Mission is claimed at 1430, while every one (and that is many) that I have weighed have come in between 1320 and 1420g, with a bunch of the latest ones clustered around 1420 +/-5g, so obviously a controlled manufacturing process and lower weight than claimed, which is extremely rare when it comes to tires.

My first samples are on their way and I will post pics on the scales and mounted on bikes vs. Mission, etc. once I get them.

Just changed the spec on our Mk3 bikes from Mission to Snowshoe, and saved 320g by going from 4.0 to 4.7. That is a decent exchange in my book. Should take our Mk3 Mammut F3 very close to sub 25lbs on 103mms and 4.7.
    Norwegians can preorder it for $2100 (plus sales tax). They must be allowed some perks up here in the dark and frozen sub Arctic winter.
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes

mtbr member
    det aer dejligt det that is awesome news!

Anchorage, AK
    Count me in for two.
    --Peace

Nuts
    I am....well lets just say very excited right now. Now all we need is some real life measurements.
    And I love beer!!

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Looks like my next front tire. Any word on when they'll be available to the public?
    Last edited by Gigantic; 10-02-2013 at 08:36 PM.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I am....well lets just say very excited right now. Now all we need is some real life measurements.
    Exactly! Count me in as well!

mtbr member
    EspenW, did you say in another thread that all of these tires will be offered with holes for studs, or that both options will be available.
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

mtbr member
    These would just come in time, well, if they are available next month. Hopefully they have the same price point as the Floaters.
    Holes for studs, oh yeah, piercing nips. How close can you get with your bike?

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgould View Post
    How close can you get with your bike?

Some things we just don't talk about

And yes if the tire is a good tire and they come out for a decent price I might even be able to afford to stock a few extra. This could really change the fat tire market or it could flop we will see. So far it's looking good but we need some hard numbers to see if they will fit all the 170mm frames.
    Last edited by bdundee; 10-03-2013 at 07:48 PM.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    most importantly they weigh as advertised / claimed because we know the devist8ers did not do either by a long shot.

mtbr member
    Will these fit on the rear of a Pugsley with a RD rim?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgould View Post
    Holes for studs, oh yeah, piercing nips. How close can you get with your bike?
    I know you're kidding around, but for those who might not know, from what I've read these tires are desgined to be run with studs. Here's a quote from EspenW in another post:

We made it slightly smaller than the Bud/Lou in order to fit all those frames where Lou just barely don't fit. In addition, it will have holes for up to 300 studs (like the Escalator, just more volume and more studs)

I'd be wondering if there is more than one model. With holes and without.
    You're so cute internet tough guy. Noogie...Noogie...Noogie.

Remember... it's "Vee Tire" now... not "Vee Rubber". Awesome on the weight.

They don't look like they have holes for studs though... or am I missing something?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Looks like the first production run will be w/o stud pockets, unfortunately, but I will put some pressure on them to have it incorporated on the later runs.
    I'm confident that the weight is legit, even though it is pretty amazing. As mentioned, everything that I have weighed from them since last fall (tons of Mission, Vee-8s, Speedsters have been at least 10g lower than claimed weight, so I will not be surprised to see these below 1250, and even lower once we get the 300 stud pockets incorporated. Will likely be one studable and a regular version.

Pugsley on RD rim: I doubt it, as if I recall correctly, the BFL, which is ''only'' a true 4.5 on 100mm rim barely fits. Snowshoe is specified as a true 4.7 on a hundred.

It should fit those frames where Lou is just a little too big. Like our MK2 bikes. That is why I sepcified Snowhoe at a true 4.7 instead of 4.8 and limited knob height to 6mm vs 7mm on Lou. Slightly more space so that more people can run monsters bigger than 4.5.

It will also be interesting to see the performance of their new Silica compound. Silica is used in auto winter tires (of the Nordic type) in order to keep them soft when the temps drop.
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post
    Pugsley on RD rim: I doubt it, as if I recall correctly, the BFL, which is ''only'' a true 4.5 on 100mm rim barely fits. Snowshoe is specified as a true 4.7 on a hundred.

It should fit those frames where Lou is just a little too big. Like our MK2 bikes. That is why I sepcified Snowhoe at a true 4.7 instead of 4.8 and limited knob height to 6mm vs 7mm on Lou. Slightly more space so that more people can run monsters bigger than 4.5.
    I'm eagerly awaiting word on whether they will fit on alu Beargrease with RD
    Life....the original terminal illness

Nuts
    I'm afraid these will be to big for my 170 fatback on hundies anyway.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    I'm thinking that one of these on the front and an On-One Floater on the rear would be a great pair for my Mukluk 2 in snow. The Larry/BFL combo that I have on there now is good, but I'd like some more traction for when the snow isn't packed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    This looks like the trick for the rear of my 2012 Mukluk. When I run my Nate I wish for more volume, when I run my BFL I wish for more grip, and a Lou sort of fits but with almost no clearance. The snowshoe looks like the kind of tire I was hoping. Someone would step up and make.

Nice work! Here is to hoping this tire won't be vaporware like some other tire offerings in the past.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    We'll have 3 pairs of Vee Snowshoes up here in Norway next week, and I'll throw them all on our official scale.
    Bad news is that the first production run will not have the stud pockets that we originally spec'ed. Reason was that Vee wanted to keep the cost and time to market down for the first production runs, in order to get a good production volume, and to get them on some OEM specs (in addition to Diamant and Nakamura) right away.
    Production lead time will be 45-60 days, so they could be available fairly quickly.
    Our deal with Vee was that we helped them with design and spec of the Snowshoe, as well as providing a guarantee of us byuing a minimum quantity, while they covered the mold and tooling cost. If we had covered that cost, it would have been our exclusive tire (like the Vee made Floater is exclusive to On-One and Sterling is to Fatback). Since we currently only serve the Norwegian market, and already got exclusivity for Snowehoe in that market, paying for the mold cost and thus worldwide exclusivity would not make sense.
    (We are making arrangements with an Australian distributor for Diamant Mammut fatbikes, though, so things are happening with regards to sales abroad)

Vee is considering offering a studable Snowshoe for the second production run, but they might need some convincing.
    Thus, if you want such a tire, send them an email. They are listening

Here is an official pic of the Snowshoe, as well as showing them on a nice Borealis carbon bike:

Vee-Rubber Snowshoe 4.7 weight-snowshoe.jpg
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Any idea on pricing?

JYB
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Anybody else notice that new Vee option for 29+ up there!

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I missed that. We need details on that one please.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast