Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Nuts
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    This thread is gonna get real fun now....

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hmmmm... I guess I'll wait until the final review comes in before I really commit to these. Not quite as wide as I was expecting, but the weight is reasonably close to Espen's findings, given how much fat tires seem to vary. The tread seems narrow, but Espen said that it was narrower than he had asked for.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    So now that all the fragile egos and butts have been bandaged....
    can we get back to talking about and over analyzing a tire that isn't available yet?
    why do such a thing this is getting super entertaining.

=========
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    why do such a thing this is getting super entertaining.
    Says the guy with an ad violation in his signature
    owner/raconteur at fat-bike.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SocratesDiedTrolling View Post
    Hmmmm... I guess I'll wait until the final review comes in before I really commit to these. Not quite as wide as I was expecting, but the weight is reasonably close to Espen's findings, given how much fat tires seem to vary. The tread seems narrow, but Espen said that it was narrower than he had asked for.
    That tread looks really narrow.. Are the fat-bike.com tires prototypes? It would be bummer to not have a full width tread, especially when riding at very low psi.

mighty sailin' man
    Quote Originally Posted by ~gomez~ View Post
    busted
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I believe that Espen said somewhere that he would talk to Vee and see why the tread is so narrow, as it was not what he was hoping for. I doubt much can be changed with only a month until they are to be available.

Anchorage, AK
    Still seams like a very nice tire, even with the narrow tread. Low-weight, high grip rubber, decent float and should fit my Mukluk on clown shoes.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I concur. I'm not against the tire, just don't have enough info to be confident in purchasing it yet. Not to mention, we've still got a while until we can get them. I'll just wait for my buddy Gomez to give us the final word.

Nemophilist
    Oh lord yes....Trailmaker took offense that I didn't want to run a story about his blue cruiser fat bike - something about my vernacular that made him angry. Sorry dude.....(for like the tenth time)
    First impressions still safely intact.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    So...5 pages later...we have a tire that might be wide or might be narrow. Or it might be wide with a narrow tread...or not. Or it might have stud holes...or not. Or it might have sticky rubber ...or not.
    But what we do know is that there are fragile egos.
    There is thin skin.
    And easily penetrated butts.
    Carry on...

Anchorage, AK
    Looks like the Sterling (also made by Vee Tire) has the same fairly narrow tread area.
    Vee-Rubber Snowshoe 4.7 weight-sterling.jpg

Vee-Rubber Snowshoe 4.7 weight-showshoe.jpg

Based on this test of the Sterlings from Interbike it doesn't look like it will be a problem for either tire:

Name:  sterling2.jpg
Views: 1703
Size:  7.9 KB

...and I am not sure that the tread is any narrower than on Dillingers on a hundred (which is a race proven combo) ...here is a picture I just took of my son's Dillinger on his 100mm unicycle rim...and with the wider casing, the Snowshoes should have great float...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vee-Rubber Snowshoe 4.7 weight-img00434.jpg  

--Peace

mtbr member
    says the guy advertising for fat-bike.com in his.

mtbr member

Vee-Rubber Snowshoe 4.7 weight

Nice write up on size with different rim options.

http://fat-bike.com/2013/10/product-...shoe-26-x-4-7/

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Had no idea there was so much drama in here.

Went back a few pages, sat down with a beer and a warm robe, and dove into the issues.

Man....you guys cray.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Had no idea there was so much drama in here.

Went back a few pages, sat down with a beer and a warm robe, and dove into the issues.

Man....you guys cray.
    I'm with you here, been off MTBR for a bit, came back and just got done reading this thread, Wow. Keeping my eyes on these and the Fatback tires hoping to get a little more float on the back of my '10 Fatback on 70's.
    "but you are a jerk, google it!" anonymous negative feedback 09-18-2012 09:07 AM Keep is positive folks!

Dirt Huffer
    Is there anywhere to pre-order these?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by woody_8_5 View Post
    Nice write up on size with different rim options.

Product Spotlight ? Vee Tire Snowshoe 26 x 4.7 | FAT-BIKE.COM
    Is it just me or do others find counterintuitive the fact that 100mm result not only in wider but taller as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by p_cycle View Post
    Is it just me or do others find counterintuitive the fact that 100mm result not only in wider but taller as well.
    I think you are extracting too much information from the picture. Unless the wheels are attached in parallel to a common axle is will be hard to determine the difference in height by looking at a picture. A slight lean will make one appear considerably shorter.
    Based on Surly's tire specs it would appear most tires are slightly smaller in diameter on wider rims.

Also comparing this to the specs Surly publishes it appears that these are barely bigger than Nate, and noticeably smaller than BFL. Seems less of a tweener size an more of a large 4" model. I would speculate that they fit anywhere you can put a Nate with some clearance.

Will be interesting to see how the new tread compound handles and wears.

Craig

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Check out the pics and measurements that I posted on page 3 of this thread.
    The tires are pre-production, so it is possible that the ones that gomez and I got were slightly different. However, all the tires that we received here in Norway were approx 4.5'' when measured on Weinmann HL-102 rims (101mm wide). Vee Missions measured 4.3'' on the Weinmann DHL-100 rims.
    I put the Snowshoe on a prototype C4 103 rim (102.6mm wide) and it measured 4.62'' (see pic on page 4 of this thread). I also have a factory freak Vee Mission tire that measures 4.5'' on the same rim. This tire has been used since January, so it has expanded somewhat since new.
    For comparison, I aired up a new Surly Bud on a 101.5mm wide Weinmann HL-102 rim.
    It measured 4.68'' right away, but grew to 4.75'' the day after.
    Center knob height unmounted was 6.5mm and approx 6.1mm at 20psi. Reason why know height decrases when mounted is that the knobs stretch slightly and the area beween the knobs bulge under pressure, reducing the effective know height. This goes for all tires.

I will soon post some more pics.
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes
    Our fatbike videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/NDprototyping?feature=mhee

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    And here are the pics.
    Two shots in the wild of Snowshoe on my personal 22lb test bike

Vee-Rubber Snowshoe 4.7 weight-wp_20131026_002-3-.jpg
    Vee-Rubber Snowshoe 4.7 weight-wp_20131026_005-3-.jpg

Snowshoe vs. Mission (both on hundies)
    Vee-Rubber Snowshoe 4.7 weight-snowshoe-3-2-.jpg

Measurement of freshly inflated Bud (20psi on 100mm rim) Exactly at Surlys claimed max casing width: 4.68''
    Vee-Rubber Snowshoe 4.7 weight-wp_20131027_002-3-.jpg

Snowshoe and Bud (note that Snowshoe sidewalls bulge out well past the thread area.)
    Vee-Rubber Snowshoe 4.7 weight-wp_20131027_003-3-.jpg

Bud and my factory freak 4.5'' Mission, both on 100mm rims
    Vee-Rubber Snowshoe 4.7 weight-wp_20131027_009-2-.jpg
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes

=========
    The tires that we are testing are production tires. I confirmed that information directly from Vee Tire.

The only real discrepancy that I can see is Espen W's tires measured, 4.5 on the weinmann 101mm rim and the tires we measured were 4.325 on a surly 100mm rim. The 1/8th inch difference could be explained by the difference in the two rims, both in the width of the rim and possibly the manufacturer's bead configuration.

Look at the weights of 120 tpi folding bead tires on this list. Our two snowshoes weighed 1185 and 1247 grams. Which tires in the 120 tpi folding bead (also compare ultralight) are in the same weight class as the snowshoe? The answer is not BFL/Bud/Lou.

I'll find out tonight if they fit on a pug with rolling darryls

and...ride testing continues
    owner/raconteur at fat-bike.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Absolutely correct on the weights, they are awesome compared to the current offerings on the market.
    I inflated to 30psi (with dishwashing liquid on the beads) in order to make them seat properly before taking them down to measurements at 20psi. If the bead does not pop all the way out on the rim seat, it will make a big difference when it comes to measured width. (I have discussed max pressure with Vee beforehand)
    That said, different rims will make a difference as well, I have a lot of faith in the new Stan's rims in that regard.

With 4.5'' on the Weinmann rims and more than 4.6'' on our new C4 rims, they are exactly at the width that I requested when initiating the Snowshoe project with Vee back on March 12th (checked my email).
    I requested a tire that would sit right between the Mission (4.3ish) and Bud (4.7ish) when mounted on our rims. With 4.5-4.6 on the same rims, Snowshoe is spot on. This maximizes the available tire size for our Mk2 Diamant Mammut and Nakamura BigBob bikes (21.5mm offset 135mm frames).
    We initially settled on 6mm knob height, so 4.6mm (with the tire unmounted) is somewhat lower than expected, but should still be fine.
    We planned to have stud pockets, like the Escalator/Dillinger, but Vee decided to postpone that to a later version. With the new Silica compound, the grip on ice should be greatly improved vs. previous offerings, as that is the same compound as often used in Nordic type studless winter tires, which provide excellent grip on ice and hardpacked snow w/o studs.

Our test riders and myself are giving Vee feedback on the tires now, with some new ideas for the next version of the Snowshoe.
    Last edited by Espen W; 10-30-2013 at 11:07 AM.
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Any word on the longevity of the new compound on terrain other than snow? I'm anxious to hear how they'll last as a trail tire.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast