nothing relevant to say

Vee-Rubber Mission 26x4.0

Vee Rubber is really stepping up their game for 2012.
    Their Mission Tire will be produced in 26, 26fat,650B and 29. Fat/Fat, Fat front 29, or fat front 650B. you can have a matching tire set.

Geordie biker
    Interesting, glad there's a bit of choice these past 6 months for fatbike tires.
    2014 milage so far - 2,167
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Curious on weight?

Boat anchor but sturdy like the Origin8 or lighter and more potentially fragile ala Surly?
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

That Unicycle Guy
    Oct 2008
    These guys seem like they are trying to get into all the niche bike tire markets, and I hope they succeed!

I am excited about this tire, but really excited about the 36er tire they are going to be making as well.

I bet they would be one of the first companies to make a 24x4 or 29x4 tire if it was shown that there is a potential market for such tires.

36x3 would be fun and would probably fit in current Nimbus frames

Has anyone used any of their products yet?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    EVERYONE has ridden a Vee Rubber product, you just may not have known it.
    (they make tires for several other companies, just like DURO does.)
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    saw the 4" guy at frostbike, and talked a bit to the designer. Lighter than the devist8or (also made by them), but not by much. They are still working on a higher tpi/folding option which should be lighter yet. time will tell if it approaches the innova stuff.

tread pattern seemed nice, a bit lower profile than the Nate, and somewhere between the Nate and the Du in knob spacing

Witty McWitterson
    At frost bike, the designer said that the first run was a heavy one, at 1800+ grams. They're working on lightening it up for the second run to get them more in line wieght wise with the Surly offerings. It does look like quit a nice tire in person. Kind of half way between a HD and an Endo.
    Just a regular guy.

Human Test Subject
    Anyone know of a release date or cost?

Harmonius Wrench
    We got some in at the shop where I work. Special ordered for a customer that uses a NecroPugs as his daily transpo. These are 120TPI but are pretty dang heavy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vee-Rubber Mission 26x4.0-vee-rubber-mission-002.jpg  

Vee-Rubber Mission 26x4.0-vee-rubber-mission-005.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I thought I felt an increase in the gravitational pull. Dang, 1870 g's?!?! There is not enough metal left on a Marge Lite to remove to compensate for that much weight increase over a Nate.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    I thought I felt an increase in the gravitational pull. Dang, 1870 g's?!?! There is not enough metal left on a Marge Lite to remove to compensate for that much weight increase over a Nate.
    Yeah....they are porky tires, but less than half the price of a Larry 3.8 120TPI tire, and as I said, the guy that got these is commuting/urban riding this bike, and wearing out $120.00+ tires is not a good option for him.

And......maybe if someone needs/wants a heavy tire for protection against rocks, maybe this is a better choice for less money.

Anyway, it isn't for me, or a lot of folks, but this guy was tickled to death to save way over a $100.00 on tires for his Pugs.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    We got some in at the shop where I work. Special ordered for a customer that uses a NecroPugs as his daily transpo. These are 120TPI but are pretty dang heavy!
    That looks like the original, lots-of-rubber-in-the-casing Mission. Thick and tough. They were talking about reducing the amount of rubber on the casing to drop 200-300g.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    That looks like the original, lots-of-rubber-in-the-casing Mission. Thick and tough. They were talking about reducing the amount of rubber on the casing to drop 200-300g.

It probably is the original, as you say. These were the only models that were available at the time we ordered. Every other variant listed by J&B was "out of stock", which may mean about anything with those guys from "we'll never have them" to "they will be in next shipment", or anything in between.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Every other variant listed by J&B was "out of stock", which may mean about anything with those guys from "we'll never have them" to "they will be in next shipment", or anything in between.
    Heh.

Enlightening.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    As far as cheap fat commuter tires go I'd say the innova spider is in the running, seems like i remember them being pretty cheap and I bet they are lighter and smother rolling than the v mission.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    It probably is the original, as you say. These were the only models that were available at the time we ordered. Every other variant listed by J&B was "out of stock", which may mean about anything with those guys from "we'll never have them" to "they will be in next shipment", or anything in between.
    Sounds about right. I've been hoping to see the devist8er UL for months now. Just checked though and they finally updated the expected arrival date from 4/20 to 8/20 so maybe they are actually on the next shipment. I guess we'll know in a couple days. If the price stays close to the same as the previous devist8er the devist8er UL could be a much more competitive tire and a good bargain weighing in at 1350g.

mtbr member
    Yeah....they are porky tires, but less than half the price of a Larry 3.8 120TPI tire, and as I said, the guy that got these is commuting/urban riding this bike, and wearing out $120.00+ tires is not a good option for him.

And......maybe if someone needs/wants a heavy tire for protection against rocks, maybe this is a better choice for less money.

Anyway, it isn't for me, or a lot of folks, but this guy was tickled to death to save way over a $100.00 on tires for his Pugs.

GT, how was the actual size when they were mounted up? Bigger, smaller, same compared to all the Inova 3.8s?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Why not use the Kenda Flames for a commuter tire? $35 each, nearly the diameter of a Floyd, smooth rolling.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger View Post
    GT, how was the actual size when they were mounted up? Bigger, smaller, same compared to all the Inova 3.8s?
    We didn't mount them up, Pete, but the guy came in today and said he was really disappointed in them compared to his Larry 3.8'ers. I didn't get a chance to speak with him, but I guess he is claiming you have to run them at a lot higher pressures than the Larry to negate some of the rolling resistance.

Not sure if that is due to the weight or the casing. I'm thinking it is a bit of both going on there.

Sorry- if I see him riding, (I do from time to time), I'll report back on the volume.