Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vee Rubber

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Cool-blue Rhythm Vee Rubber

Just came across their new site, and some of their offerings look amazing, most particularly the Snowshoe XL and the H-Billie! Has anyone had any experience with them? Have contacted them but haven't heard back, really hope these come out in the UK! Fat Tire | VEE Tire Co.

mtbr member
    I like the H-Billie, similar in design to the on-one floaters. However, I still don't understand how on-one can sell their tires at the low prices they do.

Anyway, good on them for doing so.
    Where there is a hill, there's a way!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have the regular Snowshoes and they have been great.

The XL appears to have the same rubber compound, but a slightly different tread patter and wider casing. I say go for it!

[Edit] the H-Billie looks pretty intriguing too!

Nuts
    I wouldn't hold my breath or trust for any Vee rubber till someone get's em in their paws and does some testing and measuring. They actually said on their FB page that the XL and the Bulldozer sold out already and I have not heard of a anyone anywhere getting either. Maybe they made like 4 of em or some company purchased them all for oem? Like I said I'm looking forward to the new offerings just not holding my breath.
    And I love beer!!

Rocking on a Rocky
    I got some snowshoes and they hooked up great on the snow. waiting on the Bulldozers for summer use.

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Solo-Rider View Post
    I like the H-Billie, similar in design to the on-one floaters. However, I still don't understand how on-one can sell their tires at the low prices they do.
    A better question is how can all the other companies sell their tires at such HIGH prices? On-one is selling them for a reasonable market value and they are still making plenty of profit. A 120 TPI fat tire is about $20-$25 at the very MOST at their cost. This includes all of Surly's fat tires. There is huge mark up on fat tires because they can get away with it. As the market gets bigger and more competitve prices will fall.

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Also, I'm certain the Floater will be a much better tire than the H-Billie. The Floater has similar center section knobs but much better more aggressive side knobs. In other words, it will roll just as good but will have much better over all traction, theoretically, and IMO. I'm running Floaters now and they are awesome tires. Just wish they had a 4.8-5" version.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by N8R View Post
    A better question is how can all the other companies sell their tires at such HIGH prices? On-one is selling them for a reasonable market value and they are still making plenty of profit. A 120 TPI fat tire is about $20-$25 at the very MOST at their cost. This includes all of Surly's fat tires. There is huge mark up on fat tires because they can get away with it. As the market gets bigger and more competitve prices will fall.
    Yes, that's a better way to put it and we can only hope for the day when prices are reasonable. I've been running the vee mission's from day one (they came stock) and finally ordered a set of floaters. At $109 for the set, shipped free, why not.
    Where there is a hill, there's a way!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Strada wheels sell a few of their tyres in the UK.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Scotsman View Post
    Strada wheels sell a few of their tyres in the UK.
    None of the new ones and they're way more expensive than places like planet x and triton cycles

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OfficerFriendly View Post
    places like planet x and triton cycles
    Email these guys and ask if they are going to get some in..... that might be a better approach than emailing the manufacturer.... or find out who the uk distributer is.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Just got the reply email Bulldozers should be available within the next 30 days.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    Just got the reply email Bulldozers should be available within the next 30 days.
    That's what they told me 30 days ago. Ahh life in the fat world.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Awesome, are you talking about UK stock?

Rocking on a Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    That's what they told me 30 days ago. Ahh life in the fat world.
    A sales rep not being completely honest? The world we live in!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've had a set of H-Billies (120 tpi, folding bead) for some time now. From my experience, the tread is almost 50% of the way between a Floater and a Knard. They roll super smooth on pavement and dirt and grip really well on dirt, loose gravel, and sand. No testing on snow since they came after the snow melt here. Casing is almost 50% of the way between a Knard and a BFL in flattened width, and the quality surpasses my Folding BFL. Sidewalls and Casing at the tread are slightly thicker (likely due to the Tubless-Readiness), but the oddball thing is that the tread width is only 87mm across (layed flat). Therefore, they look really strange in pictures I've seen of the mounted on 80-100mm rims. They look perfect on my 65's though. I would buy them again in a heartbeat given that they were bigger, better quality, and cheaper than a lot of QBP 3.8's.

As a side note: you can look up J&B Importers and see (for the U.S., at least) if a particular Vee tire is in one of their warehouses. Also, I did not pay full retail for these (thanks to some favors I did for my LBS). I paid US$75 per tire and my shop owner said he was still making money.

As always, your milage may vary. I was really hoping these would be as good as the QBP offerings and was pleasantly surprised to get something BETTER after all the poo-poo I've seen from others.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I've been using regular snowshoes. I ride aggressively in rocky terrain and I'm having problems with puncturing the tire. I'm running them tubeless or else I would pinch flat all the time but the 120 tpi with the silica compound doesn't seem to hold up against rocks. Would the 72 tpi make a big difference for that? Also, are any of the new tires from vee rubber more designed around riding on rough terrain?

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    A sales rep not being completely honest? The world we live in!
    It was directly from Vee on their FB page.
    And I love beer!!

Rocking on a Rocky
    It was directly from Vee on their FB page.
    Vee.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR Z View Post
    I've had a set of H-Billies (120 tpi, folding bead) for some time now. From my experience, the tread is almost 50% of the way between a Floater and a Knard. They roll super smooth on pavement and dirt and grip really well on dirt, loose gravel, and sand. No testing on snow since they came after the snow melt here. Casing is almost 50% of the way between a Knard and a BFL in flattened width, and the quality surpasses my Folding BFL. Sidewalls and Casing at the tread are slightly thicker (likely due to the Tubless-Readiness), but the oddball thing is that the tread width is only 87mm across (layed flat). Therefore, they look really strange in pictures I've seen of the mounted on 80-100mm rims. They look perfect on my 65's though. I would buy them again in a heartbeat given that they were bigger, better quality, and cheaper than a lot of QBP 3.8's.

As a side note: you can look up J&B Importers and see (for the U.S., at least) if a particular Vee tire is in one of their warehouses. Also, I did not pay full retail for these (thanks to some favors I did for my LBS). I paid US$75 per tire and my shop owner said he was still making money.

As always, your milage may vary. I was really hoping these would be as good as the QBP offerings and was pleasantly surprised to get something BETTER after all the poo-poo I've seen from others.
    Did you happen to weigh your Hillbillies?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bausscog View Post
    Would the 72 tpi make a big difference for that? Also, are any of the new tires from vee rubber more designed around riding on rough terrain?
    From what I've read from others and from experience, the lower tpi tires are slightly more puncture and cut resistant owing to their thicker cords and, subsiquent, thicker casings at the expense of slightly higher rolling resistance. As far as tread for your type of riding I have no idea. I know what type of tread I like for the type of riding I do, but that's mostly midwestern soils. You'll just have to look around for yourself on that one :-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamJay View Post
    Did you happen to weigh your Hillbillies?
    I did not. I care more about quality and feel on the bike and these are winners in my book. A quick search of the 'net shows that Fat-Bike.com has them in the 1250 range.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    My H-billie (folding, 120tpi) came in today, in very cool looking box no less. Weighed it at the LBS, and Vee was off by 100gr! It was cool that they are on the low side, 1,220gr! How about them apples. The tire weighs less than my 29x3 Knard.

For those that care, the bead to bead width is (9.3") 236mm with my engineers scale.

Fat front should be laced up on Tuesday for my Jones, my goal is to set this guy up tubeless with a surly rim strip...

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by worldskipper View Post
    My H-billie (folding, 120tpi) came in today, in very cool looking box no less. Weighed it at the LBS, and Vee was off by 100gr! It was cool that they are on the low side, 1,220gr! How about them apples. The tire weighs less than my 29x3 Knard.

For those that care, the bead to bead width is (9.3") 236mm with my engineers scale.

Fat front should be laced up on Tuesday for my Jones, my goal is to set this guy up tubeless with a surly rim strip...
    Thanks for the report, I'm still kinda waiting on the Bulldozer.
    And I love beer!!

Rocking on a Rocky
    Thanks for the report, I'm still kinda waiting on the Bulldozer.
    Same here. Hear anything yet on a date?
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast