Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vee Rubber

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post
    So is Bulldozer going to fit a Pugsley when mounted on a Marge rim (Currently Large Marge XC)?

I would like a little more volume for winter without needing to buy a new bike.

Craig
    Snowshoe knobs are much taller. should be much better traction in snow.

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    It's not the aggressiveness of the tread, it's the wrap, or lack thereof. Both Larry and Knard have great tread wrap. These seem like great tires otherwise. Silica compound is a great idea for winter. Just that one glaring design flaw will prevent me from buying.
    On 65mm Marge rims, the tread wrap isn't even remotely an issue, the tire profile is more rounded; cornering grip on dirt with Snowshoes, is excellent and the side knobs are more than sufficiently aggressive. The H-Billie should address the shortcomings that the Snowshoe had, such as washing out in corners in the snow and offer even better performance. l can see where lack of tread wrap might be an issue on 100 mm rims and to a lesser extent, 80mm, but Vee also has the Snowshoe XL, which is made expressly for larger rim sizes. l won't say that your concerns aren't valid, but they may be a little overstated.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    The tread wrap on these are very, very poor.

One of the reasons Nate grips like mad in the slick is because of the tread width. It makes for better off-camber and cornering grip, but it also helps with forward motion once you drop the PSI and all the knobs are making contact.
    Looking at the picture of the tire on the 80mm rolling Darryl, I totally agree about the lack of tread wrap. I looked closely at the side knobs on my nates and see that even the outer edge knobs have significant wear. They wouldn't be wearing if they weren't doing something. Whether its low pressure spreading the casing out in the winter or throwing the bike into a corner in the summer, a fat tire has to have good side knobs. I wouldn't buy the h billie because of that and I wouldn't buy the bulldozer because of the backwards ramps, no matter how cheap they are.

mtbr member
    On my 29er I ride a Schwalbe Hans Dampf on the front and a Maxxis High Roller 2 on the rear...what would be an equivalent setup for my fat bike?

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Vee Rubber

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    On 65mm Marge rims, the tread wrap isn't even remotely an issue, the tire profile is more rounded; cornering grip on dirt with Snowshoes, is excellent and the side knobs are more than sufficiently aggressive. The H-Billie should address the shortcomings that the Snowshoe had, such as washing out in corners in the snow and offer even better performance. l can see where lack of tread wrap might be an issue on 100 mm rims and to a lesser extent, 80mm, but Vee also has the Snowshoe XL, which is made expressly for larger rim sizes. l won't say that your concerns aren't valid, but they may be a little overstated.
    The pictures of them mounted up say it all for me:

The Vee Mission on the back seems to have a much better tread wrap. Marge Lites would certainly help things, but they're looking pretty skimpy on Darryl's compared to other 4 inchers. I just wonder what their logic was when they chose to make the tread narrower than other tires.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Anyone care to ponder if an H-Billie on the rear with the Nate front would be an ok combo for trail riding? I have one on the way directly from VEE as a warranty replacement, and was thinking about replacing the rear VEE8 with the HB, but don't want a mullet setup. I know its marked 4.2 but is the size difference noticeable? 65mm Marge Lites will be the rim setup.
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Espen W View Post

Got the protos for the Snowshoe XL in the new Lightweight version, approx. 1360g.
    These are 260mm bead to bead (like Bud/Lou).
    Has anyone got their hands on this "lightweight" version?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Vee Rubber

Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    I just took my Bulldozers of. Even though they seemed to perform great my OCD was going nuts just looking at the front tire.
    So they ride just fine, but you don't like how they look? How did they feel on dirt? How would you expect them to perform in snow?

The design may look funny, but most people can't assess a tire's performance by looks alone.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by blizzard_mk View Post
    So they ride just fine, but you don't like how they look? How did they feel on dirt? How would you expect them to perform in snow?

The design may look funny, but most people can't assess a tire's performance by looks alone.
    They didn't handle as nice as my Ground Controls on the commute to the trail head but they handled loose gravel just a touch better and that was the extent of my time on them. They where just too touchy on the road and really had some self steer down in the lower pressures (road again), which is not what this tire is for and it is not fair to judge it on that alone without a further assessment.

Yeah your right maybe you can't judge a tire by is looks but if it looks fugged up it ain't staying on my bike As far as snow there is no way to tell until the snow flies.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    They didn't handle as nice as my Ground Controls on the commute to the trail head but they handled loose gravel just a touch better and that was the extent of my time on them. They where just too touchy on the road and really had some self steer down in the lower pressures (road again), which is not what this tire is for and it is not fair to judge it on that alone without a further assessment.

Yeah your right maybe you can't judge a tire by is looks but if it looks fugged up it ain't staying on my bike As far as snow there is no way to tell until the snow flies.
    That is fair. Thanks for the detailed response!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    A nate on the front is an excellent fat bike tire! The rear is not as important in the non-snow months. I always aim for more traction in the front on a bicycle. Washing out sucks sometimes. My plan on my 65mm build for this winter is a H-billie up front and a snowshoe in the rear.

Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    Anyone care to ponder if an H-Billie on the rear with the Nate front would be an ok combo for trail riding? I have one on the way directly from VEE as a warranty replacement, and was thinking about replacing the rear VEE8 with the HB, but don't want a mullet setup. I know its marked 4.2 but is the size difference noticeable? 65mm Marge Lites will be the rim setup.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk3Rider View Post
    A nate on the front is an excellent fat bike tire! The rear is not as important in the non-snow months. I always aim for more traction in the front on a bicycle. Washing out sucks sometimes. My plan on my 65mm build for this winter is a H-billie up front and a snowshoe in the rear.
    Washing out always sucks, which is why I put a Nate back up front. My question is more if the H-Bille will be that much larger than the Nate (visually or physically) to make it odd to run it on the back with the Nate up front. I know its a 4.25, but also know not everyone measures their tires the same and its much less knobby so maybe it want make a difference or be noticeable.

frl
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Johanneson View Post
    Has anyone got their hands on this "lightweight" version?
    Thanks
    Some guys in Norway, who have tried snowshoe xl. They say that's the best tire on wet condition. And they say that bulldozer is very good to, but the xl is a bit better. Hope the xl come soon.
    With bluto, xl and a weight about 11.8 kg. Going to be fun in the woods.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I am getting a set of Mission 24x4.0 for my 1x1 this winter. I'm hoping the odd sizing makes them cheap soon.

Just A Mountain Biker.

Vee Rubber

For those of you still wanting to kick this can down the street, my warranty h-Billie showed up today, BONUS, they sent me 2. It is appreciably larger than a Nate, so much so that putting it on back and a Nate up front felt like I was leaning forward. So I out one on each end, much better. Will get in the dirt later this week and test them out, they are very nice and quality looks to be there ~ I put them on in the direction that made sense to me, I think the arrow is just incorrect.

mtbr member
    How is rolling resistance to Nate? Anxious for some feedback on this tire. Looks a lot better than the fatback tire in this size. Interesting that the front felt that much different. Depending on vee or someone else doesn't put out a stud. I am gonna either runs nates studded or Dillinger 5 up front and 4 in back. I am suspicious that they have a new tire coming out as a tubeless option is my guess. A studded nate looks hard to beat for most winter conditions.

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by frl View Post
    Some guys in Norway, who have tried snowshoe xl. They say that's the best tire on wet condition. And they say that bulldozer is very good to, but the xl is a bit better. Hope the xl come soon.
    With bluto, xl and a weight about 11.8 kg. Going to be fun in the woods.
    I have an XL and it's pretty good. It will be a few months until I can test on snow, but my initial impression is favorable.
    --Peace

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Anyone have any updated ride reports for the H-billies? I'm trying to narrow my tire choice and the H-billies are looking good so far.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    My bike should be here at the end of the month but I have an H-Billie, a Snowshoe (non-xl) and a Panaracer Fat B Nimble to try out. Couldn't decide on what to get so I ended up with three different tires. :-)
    I figure my son has a Pugsley so an extra tire is not a bad thing and choices are good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrozz View Post
    Anyone have any updated ride reports for the H-billies? I'm trying to narrow my tire choice and the H-billies are looking good so far.
    Been riding H-Billies for the past 6 months during the summer here in Michigan. H-Billies are, in fact, bigger than 3.8s but the tread is narrower than all the 3.8s I've come across. They actually look SMALLER than most 3.8s from Surly for this lack of tread wrap (I didn't really notice til I started getting comments from my other fatbiking buddies). I've been running my H-Billies backwards (too lazy to break down my tubeless setup to change) and they roll great on pavement, dirt and mud. Good all around tread and compound (the rubber is hard on these bad boys, only showing a little wear from a lot of paved miles). Also Tubeless works great on mine (120tpi, folding), but the lack of tread on the sidewalls gives a lot of fall off when really leaning in to corners. It's kinda like: "Yeah this is rad and super fast and I'm totally railing this curv-- wait, what happened I just ran out of all traction...and now I'm slow... :-("

All in all, if you're touring, especially on dirt and gravel, H-Billies are your tire, but I'm replacing them with something a little more agressive in corners 'cause I like to blast single-track every now and again...and again, and again!

Not to disuade you, because they really are a good tire for the price, just not what I'm looking for right now

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    A couple of us are running H-Billies here, I've got a set on my Fatboy. However when setting up tubeless on a friends I seated ghetto style with a hand pump to 20psi and a couple of days later the bead looks like it has given away and exploded the tyre in my bike room. Would this be covered by warranty? Also has any one tried the Floaters on their Fatboy I was thinking of these but they seem a bit narrow?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dalboy View Post
    However when setting up tubeless on a friends I seated ghetto style with a hand pump to 20psi and a couple of days later the bead looks like it has given away and exploded the tyre in my bike room. Would this be covered by warranty?
    I'd have to believe it's covered since all the H-Billies I've seen say "Tubeless Ready" on the sidewalls. Sounds like a bead failure that shouldn't have happened, especially if you truely never went over 20psi.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    run the bulldozers backwards. tread pattern on them is loosely the same as maxxis high roller 2 and the kenda nevegal and they run the direction of a reversed bulldozer.

I found the bulldozers awful at any pressure running them the correct direction..was like the bike had a pivot in the middle and both ends wanted to go opposite directions, reversed them and they track virtually dead true. running 9psi rear and 8 front. they do kinda suck for sideways grip, they need way more lugs on the sides to work well on 80mm rims or risk running 4psi all year round

mtbr member
    May 2005
    h-billy for snow? (50 mile endurance race) or? thoughts?
    Perfect number of bikes (n) + 1

Anchorage, AK

Vee Rubber

Quote Originally Posted by Truth! View Post
    h-billy for snow? (50 mile endurance race) or? thoughts?
    If you are doing the Frosty Bottom, I would recommend a faster rolling tire like the Husker Du or Dillinger 4. Those trails are hard and fast.
    --Peace

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars_D View Post
    If you are doing the Frosty Bottom, I would recommend a faster rolling tire like the Husker Du or Dillinger 4. Those trails are hard and fast.
    The H-Billie is a pretty fast tire with excellent grip.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I just put a bulldozer on yesterday . Conditions this AM muddy wet clay. They roll fast and grip like mad so much better then the mission commands that it replaced.

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk
    2014 Devinci Carbon Troy Xp
    2015 Mongoose Vinson Fat bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Billie doesn't like the snow

Went out for a little ride on the Mukluk last night. Front tire is the VEE H-Billie, Bluto fork, running at 10 PSI
    Vee Rubber-billie.jpg
    Billie does well in most conditions, but I finally had the chance to run it in more than an inch of snow, and am disappointed in the behavior of the tire. The lack of knobbies on the sidewall allows Billie to wash out in even the smallest of ruts.

I run a Nate
    Vee Rubber-nate.jpg
    on the back. This is, after a couple of hundred miles, a simply fantastic tire.

Right now, I suffer from the 'size matters' issue, and am tempted to try a Bud on the front, and maybe move Billie to the rear and see how things turn out.

Here's hoping I hit the lottery....

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    H-billie is not a good front tire on rims over 65mm wide because of the lack of knob-wrap on the edges of the tire. I found it rides fine as a rear tire on an 80mm wide rim. It would be horrible on a 100mm wide rim as there would be very little knob contact while cornering.

Quote Originally Posted by switchie View Post
    Billie does well in most conditions, but I finally had the chance to run it in more than an inch of snow, and am disappointed in the behavior of the tire. The lack of knobbies on the sidewall allows Billie to wash out in even the smallest of ruts.couple of hundred miles, a simply fantastic

Right now, I suffer from the 'size matters' issue, and am tempted to try a Bud on the front, and maybe move Billie to the rear and see how things turn out.

Here's hoping I hit the lottery....

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Just grabbed a Mission Command (72 tpi folding bead) to run on the rear of my Muk. I mounted it to a Rolling Darryl with a single wrap of Tyvek tape so no tape over the bead. Tire wasn't tight enough and burped sealant during the first ride. I've never had a fat bike tire do this, but when hammering up hills in granny the tire would actually slide on the rim. I took it apart and put one layer of Gorilla tape on the bead and this did the trick. No burping and no slipping. Good tire for the rear on dirt, I probably won't try it on the front.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12