mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Vee Bulldozer in snow?

Anyone had the chance to try the Vee Bulldozer in the snow? If so how does it fair?

thanks

Rocking on a Rocky
    Give me a month or two.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

aka bOb
    Just an elite few (aka testers) might of actually had snow time but us in the gp no way just weren't out and believe me I tried.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I tested it on the trails last night here in Alaska.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    There's a slight chance we'll get some snow here tomorrow, but it won't be enough to fully test mine. I've been loving them on dirt so far though!
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    There's a slight chance we'll get some snow here tomorrow, but it won't be enough to fully test mine. I've been loving them on dirt so far though!
    If you live in Anchorage, it looks like we'll get some rain tomorrow...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    So no one has had snow yet? Just waiting on opinions before I order these bad boys.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    are the 'dozers bigger/smaller than the big fat larry??

mtbr member

Vee Bulldozer in snow?

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I tested it on the trails last night here in Alaska.
    And how was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by #mtnbykr View Post
    are the 'dozers bigger/smaller than the big fat larry??
    Bigger than a BFL, but not quite as big as Bud/Lou.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    Bigger than a BFL, but not quite as big as Bud/Lou.
    And a few mm's smaller than a Ground Control

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe View Post
    And how was it?

Lots of self-steer. There's no snow here though (Alaska), maybe in a few weeks.

aka bOb
    Lots of self-steer.
    Felt the same here.

mtbr member

Vee Bulldozer in snow?

I'm looking at the RM Blizzard which comes with those. My Moonlander has BFL's and I love them. Considering running one on the front with the Bulldozer on the rear.

Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    When does your blizzard come?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'm running a Snowshoe XL on the front and the Bulldozer on the rear and like it in the dirt, I'm optomistic it will be a good setup for snow
    Mongoose product development

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by skota23 View Post
    I'm running a Snowshoe XL on the front and the Bulldozer on the rear and like it in the dirt, I'm optomistic it will be a good setup for snow
    Any Chance you have a picture with this setup. Thanks
    2014 Devinci Carbon Troy Xp
    2015 Mongoose Vinson Fat bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'll have a report tonight on running Dozers front and back. Stay tuned.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Vee Bulldozer in snow?

I'm running Bud front and Bulldozer rear on mostly smooth groomed snow. The trails do have some steep climbs that require crawling in granny gear. I have been happy with the climbing traction. Cornering seems pretty good as well (for the rear). I'm sure it wouldn't corner quite as well as Bud in the front. Rolling resistance doesn't seem like an issue on snow, but I do notice loud/slow rolling on pavement.

Rocking on a Rocky
    No issues with the Bulldozer on the rear of the Norco?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Vee Bulldozer in snow?

Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    No issues with the Bulldozer on the rear of the Norco?
    No problems. A little close to the FD, and decent clearance at the stays. Bud does not fit in the rear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    As promised here is the report on running Dozers F/R.

HOLY CRAP these have totally changed my bike! I gave the OEM Missions a full year evaluation - just to see where they worked are where fell flat. Frankly they suck for most conditions outside of dry dirt / smooth trails. They roll well and have ok grip for summer tire but they are limited to fairly mundane trails. Oh well I tried and gave them a fair shake.

On to the Bulldozers: I knew I wanted a larger volume tire for trail riding in the winter so I started looking at Buds, Lous, Snowshoe XL, and Hillbillies. Taking the evaluation to the next level I was having a lot of issues with the front of the bike washing out as most of the trails I ride are cross cuts of slopes. Thus good side bite and corning attributes were very important to me. After seeing the Snowshoe XL and Hillbillies in person I was not convinced that they would give me the bite I was wishing for. So that left the Bud/Lou and Dozers. Sorry Surly but your tires still carry a little too much of a premium for me so I rolled the dice and ordered a pair of Bulldozers last week.

Today was the first ride I had on them. It was our teams yearly Weaselhead Classic winter bike ride. Now the route of this ride is of particular important as it covers all the main type of winter riding that Fatties roll on. There is paved cycle paths, packed single track, technical sections, a frozen lake, open snow fields (ok, un-tracked sections), and most importantly to me side slopes. To say I was amped to ride today is and understatement.
    We started out riding on the path ways which were partly cleared but with icy section. I was rolling with 11psi up front and 12.5psi on the rear which for my 220lb frame worked well on the open sections. The rolling resistance was fair less then I was expecting with an aggressive tire like this. Oh and that pesky self steer? notta'. I'm sure if I was running a lower pressure it would rear it's head but for now, no issues.

Out on the lake the snow was very sugary and it had not bonded to the ice so it was slick. My buddy that was running Nates on his Muk was struggling to get going from a stand still and those on standard mountain bikes were bagged with in 100ft. Me? no problem I was easily able to manage wheel spin and the tires just dug! So they have straight line grip too? I'm starting to like these.

By this point we were having a great time but I'm starting to feel the envy of my team mates - sweetness.

The last big hurtle of the day is a technical section in a steep river valley. The path was boot packed and I could see some other bike track so it was ride able. This was the test, if I could have confidence in the bike and tires here then they were a slam dunk. I took the lead and started working the section as the speed built I was shocked to feel how much bite the tires had. It was a complete re-calibration, I found that I was over braking , taking corners to slow, and not leaning in enough. I had to remind myself to push harder! the harder I push the better the bike responded. Faster and faster I went until I figured I'd better slow and make sure everyone was keeping. Oops, I guess they didn't as they had to send one guy after me to get me to wait.

I guess this all means that I'm happy to have the tires on the bike. I cornered hard, climbed faster, and generally had more faith in the bike then even before. That's saying a lot considering I love my Bigfoot.

Would I recommend the Bulldozers? Yes, they are the tire that I wanted from day one but didn't know I did.

For comparison here's the test bed set up:
    2014 Norco Bigfoot (Chewie)
    Stock double walled 80mm rims
    running with tubes
    1X9 Shimano drive train with a Race Face Narrow wide 32T front ring
    70mm Syncros stem (OEM was a 90mm)
    Old Skhool Onza Bar ends
    Specialized saddle

Rider:
    Well... me (dude)
    Weight ~220lb
    6'1"
    Style: aggressive
    Type of riding: Adventure/single track

Please take the above review as you will and ride safe.
    GDog

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'm also using Bulldozers here in the northern Finland and so far have been happy for their performance at snowy conditions. For the start of the winter I pimped these a bit with Best Grip studs to have some grip at the icy trails and it has really paid off! More than a month usage without any issues and these suckers with only approx. 50 studs were better to ride than the some full diy-studded Dillingers my friend has..

I have Surly Bud/Lou combo for the real winter as they have bit wider casing with bigged knobs to shovel that snow but at the moment I'm in no hurry to do anything

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I have about 100 miles of groomed single track on my new blizzard with the stock bulldozers. I have another 50 commuting miles on snow covered roads. My comparison is 3 thousand miles all on a couple sets of big fat larrys. A great improvement so far. Much reduced front end corner washout. Good overall traction. Good float. On Saturday I rode a solid 4 hours with about 20 fat bikes of all makes models and tire brands. I feel my tires were better than most and totally kept up with the best. I am surprisingly impressed as I had told the guys at my LBS that I was thinking the weakness in the new Blizzard may be the tires. I was wrong.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Not much experience in the snow yet, but really liking this setup. Aggressive and affordable.
    Quote Originally Posted by skota23 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aarontriton View Post
    Any Chance you have a picture with this setup. Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vee Bulldozer in snow?-20140917_190239.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I went out again tonight for a rip on some tighter trails and was amazed at how much harder I could corner. Sorry to gush but I didn't know fat bikes could be this good and I still have to dial in the new setup.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by makaman View Post
    Not much experience in the snow yet, but really liking this setup. Aggressive and affordable.
    Makaman, is your front rim 100mm wide? If so can you measure the outside nob to nob width for us?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have had several rides on the Bulldozers. Both on dirt and in snow. Good traction. I think the Lou and Nate are the traction standard though. riding buddy with 3.8 Nates is the climbing king in our group. Set-up tubeless on Mulefut rims was easy. Have ridden as low as 2.6 PSI!!!
    Tire tastes OK.
    Vee Bulldozer in snow?-img_20141108_075232_272-medium-.jpg

I switched the direction on the front just to try it out and to turn the ramped side of the center knobs forward. Not sure if it is any different. Lots of self-steer on pavement and dirt. Especially at speed. I rode a serious off camber (dirt) trail with long flat sections as it switched back and forth down a slope. The Bulldozer up front wanted to steer towards the uphill side like some kind of anti gravity ray was in it. I had to stay on my toes or I would have been on my nose. I would like to try a different 4.7-8 fat tire on that trail to compare as maybe they all will do it?

urmb
    “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a \mountain or fat/ bike.” ~ John F. Kennedy

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Re: Vee Bulldozer in snow?

Quote Originally Posted by BigGDog View Post
    As promised here is the report on running Dozers F/R.

HOLY CRAP these have totally changed my bike! I gave the OEM Missions a full year evaluation - just to see where they worked are where fell flat. Frankly they suck for most conditions outside of dry dirt / smooth trails. They roll well and have ok grip for summer tire but they are limited to fairly mundane trails. Oh well I tried and gave them a fair shake.

On to the Bulldozers: I knew I wanted a larger volume tire for trail riding in the winter so I started looking at Buds, Lous, Snowshoe XL, and Hillbillies. Taking the evaluation to the next level I was having a lot of issues with the front of the bike washing out as most of the trails I ride are cross cuts of slopes. Thus good side bite and corning attributes were very important to me. After seeing the Snowshoe XL and Hillbillies in person I was not convinced that they would give me the bite I was wishing for. So that left the Bud/Lou and Dozers. Sorry Surly but your tires still carry a little too much of a premium for me so I rolled the dice and ordered a pair of Bulldozers last week.

Today was the first ride I had on them. It was our teams yearly Weaselhead Classic winter bike ride. Now the route of this ride is of particular important as it covers all the main type of winter riding that Fatties roll on. There is paved cycle paths, packed single track, technical sections, a frozen lake, open snow fields (ok, un-tracked sections), and most importantly to me side slopes. To say I was amped to ride today is and understatement.
    We started out riding on the path ways which were partly cleared but with icy section. I was rolling with 11psi up front and 12.5psi on the rear which for my 220lb frame worked well on the open sections. The rolling resistance was fair less then I was expecting with an aggressive tire like this. Oh and that pesky self steer? notta'. I'm sure if I was running a lower pressure it would rear it's head but for now, no issues.

Out on the lake the snow was very sugary and it had not bonded to the ice so it was slick. My buddy that was running Nates on his Muk was struggling to get going from a stand still and those on standard mountain bikes were bagged with in 100ft. Me? no problem I was easily able to manage wheel spin and the tires just dug! So they have straight line grip too? I'm starting to like these.

By this point we were having a great time but I'm starting to feel the envy of my team mates - sweetness.

The last big hurtle of the day is a technical section in a steep river valley. The path was boot packed and I could see some other bike track so it was ride able. This was the test, if I could have confidence in the bike and tires here then they were a slam dunk. I took the lead and started working the section as the speed built I was shocked to feel how much bite the tires had. It was a complete re-calibration, I found that I was over braking , taking corners to slow, and not leaning in enough. I had to remind myself to push harder! the harder I push the better the bike responded. Faster and faster I went until I figured I'd better slow and make sure everyone was keeping. Oops, I guess they didn't as they had to send one guy after me to get me to wait.

I guess this all means that I'm happy to have the tires on the bike. I cornered hard, climbed faster, and generally had more faith in the bike then even before. That's saying a lot considering I love my Bigfoot.

Would I recommend the Bulldozers? Yes, they are the tire that I wanted from day one but didn't know I did.

For comparison here's the test bed set up:
    2014 Norco Bigfoot (Chewie)
    Stock double walled 80mm rims
    running with tubes
    1X9 Shimano drive train with a Race Face Narrow wide 32T front ring
    70mm Syncros stem (OEM was a 90mm)
    Old Skhool Onza Bar ends
    Specialized saddle

Rider:
    Well... me (dude)
    Weight ~220lb
    6'1"
    Style: aggressive
    Type of riding: Adventure/single track

Please take the above review as you will and ride safe.
    GDog
    Can you list all of the other fat tires you've ridden in various conditions?

(The vee missions have been almost universally regarded as absolutely aweful in every condition).

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Makaman, is your front rim 100mm wide? If so can you measure the outside nob to nob width for us?
    Yes, rim is 100mm. The Snowshow Xl measured 113.09mm (in the picture @ 10psi), although I have gotten bigger numbers depending on tire pressure. Pretty sure i've measured close to 4.6" with a stock tube at 15-20psi.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vee Bulldozer in snow?-new-image1.jpg  

Vee Bulldozer in snow?-new-image3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    And the Bulldozer on an 80mm rim.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vee Bulldozer in snow?-new-image2.jpg  

Vee Bulldozer in snow?-new-image4.jpg  

Rocking on a Rocky
    If you want to run one set of tires year round Bulldozers are the ones.

aka bOb
    If you want to run one set of tires year round Bulldozers are the ones.
    Yeah if you don't mind a lot of self steer in the summer. They don't even come close to the Ground Controls performance wise but the price is a lot better.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Yeah if you don't mind a lot of self steer in the summer. They don't even come close to the Ground Controls performance wise but the price is a lot better.
    Ground Controls were my #1 pick, but was worried about the rear fitting and of course the $160.00 price tag.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    run the bulldozers backwards, self steer virtually nil then

Rocking on a Rocky
    No self steer here but on pavement they do roll hard.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by hamtaro View Post
    run the bulldozers backwards, self steer virtually nil then
    I think the front one is backwards or the back one is frontwards.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by iscariot View Post
    Can you list all of the other fat tires you've ridden in various conditions?

(The vee missions have been almost universally regarded as absolutely aweful in every condition).
    Unfortunately only the Nates on my buddy's muk. Yes the missions are bad but I wanted to make sure I understand what their limitations are. One thing we teach at the race track is take what the car gives you and adapt to it. Same applies for riding I think
    My 2 cents

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

mtbr member

I think the front one is backwards or the back one is frontwards.
    Or are they both frontwards, and it is actually time that runs backwards?

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by AllMountin' View Post
    I just couldn't look at the fugged up tread pattern on these tires anymore, it hurt my head.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by AllMountin' View Post
    frontwards, backwards, don't think even vee tire know. i run them with the directional arrow pointing the "wrong" way and self steer is basically nil. So they could be forwards, backwards, or in-betweenwards

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I just couldn't look at the fugged up tread pattern on these tires anymore, it hurt my head.
    I must have a migraine then because, in my situation, the "fugged" up tread pattern on the Bulldozer is nothin' when you ride a cheap fatty with an 21.5mm offset frame, two different sized wheels and two different type tires on it. But I love it!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    First ride in real snow... Not super-impressed. I think maybe I need to clean off some old dirt/clay residue, as the tires were not shedding the snow at all. I may also look into treating them with something to keep snow from sticking. What does anyone use?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximumX View Post
    First ride in real snow... Not super-impressed. I think maybe I need to clean off some old dirt/clay residue, as the tires were not shedding the snow at all. I may also look into treating them with something to keep snow from sticking. What does anyone use?

Had my first real snow ride on the Bulldozer(rear) and thought it handled pretty good. I have the 120 TPI tire with silica and had no issues with snow sticking to it. Got me through some thick(calf deep), foot trafficked trails today. Snowshoe XL in front, Bulldozer in back, and two friends with XL's in front and H-Billie's in back all 120tpi with silica, and none of us had issues with snow sticking to them. Maybe the silica or temperature had something to do with the sticking?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vee Bulldozer in snow?-20141213_092449.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Can I ask why the choice of Snowshoe XL in front and Bulldozer in rear? As opposed to dual Bulldozers or Showshoe XL in rear and Bulldozer in front?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximumX View Post
    Snow is so variable though, I've been trucking through all sorts of snow conditions with D5s, yet the other day I ran into some very shallow sugary snow that's been rained on and frozen/refrozen for weeks, up the slightest inclines in the unpacked stuff I couldn't get any traction at all, whereas these tires have been kicking major butt everywhere else, including newfallen powder. I have the bulldozers and will be riding them a bit more with my backup fatty in the next few weeks. Hopefully we get more snow, but it's been pretty bad here in Alaska...

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Very impressed with Bulldozer traction as a rear tire on some packed slush / refrozen / ice, on a steep trail that many mtn bikers walk in the summer. 120 tpi silica version. No clogging in the 20-40F temps I've used it in so far.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
    Can I ask why the choice of Snowshoe XL in front and Bulldozer in rear? As opposed to dual Bulldozers or Showshoe XL in rear and Bulldozer in front?
    The Snowshoe xl rubbed the chain in the first two gears, otherwise, I would have gone with snowshoe xl front and rear. I would also have no problem running bulldozers front and rear, but wanted a bigger, more aggressive tire in front.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Snow is so variable though...
    Okay... Ridden the 'Dozers now on some proper cold snow. MUCH better experience than the sticky wet stuff I was on before. And I did give them a rinse to get some of the dirt off that probably wasn't helping things.

I'd previously been playing around with some Missions that I'd studded with Kold Kutters. Made myself nice little circuit in the greenbelt behind the house with some winding single-track, open field and a lake crossing. Not much elevation except for a slick toboggan hill.

Slow-going, but these tires are unstoppable! Had no trouble churning through untracked snow in fields and over lake ice. I probably could've even had a few more pounds of air in the rear and managed okay. Even rode straight up the toboggan hill with very little slippage. The compound and textured part of the casing seems to grip the snow without sticking to it. I am now a believer and looking forward to playing on these some more! :-)

horseman
    Sep 2005
    Any Vermonters running them yet? Pretty freakin winter here, eh?!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Vee Bulldozer in snow?-uploadfromtaptalk1421960836324.jpgI find not much stops my bulldozer other than ice. I find that warmer snow does stick to them but does not hinder traction or rolling. Great tire in the rear not familiar for front as I run a bud.

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk
    2014 Devinci Carbon Troy Xp
    2015 Mongoose Vinson Fat bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Thought I'd comment on these tires after a season and a half riding them in snow. I've found that in cold, dry snow they work very well. Plenty of traction and float in the rear. The front washes out a bit in dry snow but probably no worse than many other tires. I've found the front works better reversed from the "suggested" direction. In cold snow, you can ride in up to eight inches of the stuff without a problem.

However, warmer / compacting snow and slush sticks to these tires like glue resulting in a packed tire quickly. Once these tires pack, you have zero traction.

So, below about 25F these are excellent tires. In the 25F-35F range, a bit terrifying.

Non-snow upsides worth mentioning: these are very durable, set up easily tubeless and are not expensive. I think they're a pretty good tire.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I got one good ride with the 4.7 Dozers on 80mm rims on my Alaskan, then the season went to ice.
    On a good trail, they're very capable at 6psi. Plenty of float, and good torque wheelies. I love being hooked up on snow.
    On pavement, they self steer if the pressure is too low. At 13psi, they roll fairly smooth and fast. 8-9 psi is fun on trails.