• 05-15-2013
    drofluf
    Using Stans With Non Removable Cores
    Getting too many punctures so decided to go down the Stan's in my tubes route. Not quite ready for tubeless yet :)

Only problem is that my tubes don't have removable valve (Presta) cores.

Can I squirt the Stan's through the valve or is that likely to block it?
  • 05-15-2013
    Stevob
    Just buy some tubeless valves. You won't get stans in though a normal valve. Or are you just planning to run stans in your tubes? There's heaps of tubeless threads in this forum if you need more help.
  • 05-15-2013
    drofluf
    Was planning to run the Stan's in my tubes. Will go tubeless at some point but as I'm thinking of a new bike in the autumn was planning the Stan's route as an interim.
  • 05-15-2013
    ColoradoClark
    The Surly tubes have removable cores. True, they are heavy, but if you are having flat issues (we have tons of goatheads here in Colorado), thick tubes and tire sealant (slime, gunk, Stan's, whatever) is probably what you want. I would much rather have heavier tires and not have to worry about flats on every ride. Tubeless sounds like it might ultimately be the answer, but I haven't gone there, yet.
  • 05-15-2013
    98srx6
    the ultralight qtubes have removable cores. However, it only took me about an hour to setup 2 rd's tubeless with gorilla tape with packing foam down the center channel. Cheaper than tubes, and not to much more time invested. The rolling resistance benefit makes this conversion well worth it.
  • 05-15-2013
    stesteste
    Re: Using Stans With Non Removable Cores
    i got a puncture in my non removable tubes so i got a shringe filled whith stans put it in the thorn hole then patched in with repair kit worked a treat

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
  • 05-15-2013
    alphazz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stesteste View Post
    i got a puncture in my non removable tubes so i got a shringe filled whith stans put it in the thorn hole then patched in with repair kit worked a treat

There's an option. Just put a hole in your tube, put in the Stans, patch the hole, and you are good for about six months until you have to repeat the process.
  • 05-15-2013
    c_m_shooter
    It is easy enough to revove non remevable valve cores. 2 light swipes of a file on the threaded end will let you remove the locknut. then lightly push the core into the valvestem and grab it from the back you. You will have it pinched inside the tube, try not to drop it. shoot in the sealent of your choice and push the core back through and reinstall the nut that you were careful not to lose. pinch the last two threads with a pair of vise grips so the nut doesn't fall off when topping off the tires before a ride.
  • 05-15-2013
    duggus
    Re: Using Stans With Non Removable Cores
    Comment deleted.
  • 05-17-2013
    drofluf
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ColoradoClark View Post
    The Surly tubes have removable cores. True, they are heavy, but if you are having flat issues (we have tons of goatheads here in Colorado), thick tubes and tire sealant (slime, gunk, Stan's, whatever) is probably what you want. I would much rather have heavier tires and not have to worry about flats on every ride. Tubeless sounds like it might ultimately be the answer, but I haven't gone there, yet.

Doh!I didn't realise that! Had the solution all the time

• 05-17-2013
    alphazz
    Quote:

Originally Posted by c_m_shooter View Post
    It is easy enough to revove non remevable valve cores. 2 light swipes of a file on the threaded end will let you remove the locknut. then lightly push the core into the valvestem and grab it from the back you. You will have it pinched inside the tube, try not to drop it. shoot in the sealent of your choice and push the core back through and reinstall the nut that you were careful not to lose. pinch the last two threads with a pair of vise grips so the nut doesn't fall off when topping off the tires before a ride.

I suggest going with this. Even if one looses the core inside the tube, it's moderately easy to find it inside the tube because it's the only thing in the tube that seems like it doesn't belong. :madman:
  • 05-17-2013
    Schott
    Quote:

Originally Posted by c_m_shooter View Post

I'm gonna go try this, just because.