mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Using spray silicone for reducing tire buildup?

Has anyone else tried this?

I recently sprayed the front tire of my fat bike with rubber safe silicone spray normally used to keep rubber seals on a vehicle from sticking in the winter.

I wiped off the tips of the knobs themselves and when I braked hard on tile indoors I still could fell the back lift.
    I have noticed no significant loss of traction but alot less mud and snow buildup overall.

Anyone think of a downside I may have missed?

How much does it weigh?
    I had no buildup of snow on my tires when riding on snow that is not slushy. Slushy snow is the only kind I've encountered this problem with.

If you haven't lost any/much traction, it sounds worth it, try some climbing though, let us know how it affects that.

Harrumph
    Never had a problem in snow/slush. Even mud clears pretty well. Though a bit of silicone or WD40 on a downtube/chainstay yolk help with mud build up.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Most of my issues were where I had to cross over slush and then back onto powder.
    It was like I was driving a pilsbury dough boy bike with even bigger white tires!

mtbr member
    I use silicon car polish on my frame to stop stuff sticking. I haven't been brave enough to try using it on the tyres... :
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Geordie biker
    I have often wiped frames down with wd40 and aswell as keeping them clean they don't attract as much dirt.

Never done anything like that with tires of fatbikes though.

I have noticed they collect huge amounts of rubbish around the BB, chain stays and gearing!

Tire wise, the fatbikes tend to self clean quite well, especially low tread endos and the widely spaced nates.
    2014 milage so far - 2,167
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by roobydoo View Post
    Most of my issues were where I had to cross over slush and then back onto powder.
    It was like I was driving a pilsbury dough boy bike with even bigger white tires!
    This usually clears off for me after a bit more riding as the tires flex and the ice doesn't.
    Latitude 61