Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Urgent help! Flat tyre solutions

Hi folks, I started a solo trip across the gibb river road in northern Australia today. I snapped a derailleur today and am waiting for a spare to hopefully arrive tommorrow. However, I picked up six separate flat tyres today, affecting all thee surly tubes. I'm running three endos, one obviously a spare, but I tried that today in desperation. Any thoughts would be appreciated. It's the four sided thorns doing the damage. Could I glue in another split tube inside the tyre to give it more of a buffer? Any ideas would be appreciated. There is a local sports shop with very basic supplies, and nothing fat bike specific. Tubeless is not possible at short notice.

Fat & Single
    Awesome trip ! Hope you get something sorted so the flats dont ruin the trip.

If i was in you situation i would be looking at lining the inside of the tyre with something. Are the thorns you are talking about 3-corner jacks/goat heads ?

I have not had much luck with stans in my tubes against 3-corner jacks but something like slime might do better. Endos have a lot of un knobbled surface so the jacks will be killing you.
    The big issue with them is you can collect 20 punctures in a couple of rev's of your tyres and you cant patch 20 holes on 1 tube.... kinda brings you to a standstill.

I would definately be looking at lining the inside with insertion rubber about 2-3mm thick, this will add quite a bit of weight but at least you will be able to continue with the trip.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    You could give this a try: closed cell foam.
    Never tried it myself though.
    Good luck!

mtbr member
    Dunno if you have these 'pool noodles' down under, but they grow like weeds here in suburbia. These are sliced down the middle and "butterfly"ed to stay open. They're about 2 1/2" diameter & 3/4"--17mm? thick and stiffer and springier and more durable than the pipe insul. I've seen. That's red duct tape holding them together. These 2 weigh 3oz. & cost $2. Oy!Oy!Oy!

Laramie, Wyoming
    I can't picture the foam doing anything after the tube is installed and air is added. The tube is just going to completely compress the foam.

mtbr member
    Tubeless isn't that hard with a few basic supplies... A removable core presta valve stem (could cut out of any tube), a roll of gorilla tape, and some sealant.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Did those surly toobs have sealant in them? I've found sealant in the surly toobs works quite well. Unscrew the valve cores and squirt some in. Sounds like you might not have access to proper bike sealant but maybe you can get some automotive stuff that might help in the pinch your in, just a thought.

mighty sailin' man
    ^ auto or tractor! Great idea
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

Laramie, Wyoming
    Call out to Ozzy, I think he has a couple sets of wheels set up tubeless.

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    Call out to Ozzy, I think he has a couple sets of wheels set up tubeless.
    Hes already started the trip and wont have the gear to get it done where he is.

The Gibb River Road is a very isolated road running through one of the most scenic areas of Australia, its a 660km trip that needs to be planned from start to finish and you need to be self sufficient with everything including fuel.We are planning to do it by 4WD in the next few years, up the Tanami Track to Wolfe creek the across to Broome, then up the Gibb River Road..... never thought about doing it by Fat bike, bloody awesome adventure. The Tubeless thang should have been worked out a little bit before now
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Laramie, Wyoming
    Sounds like a trip where a lot of things should be worked out ahead of time. I figured you were closer than many of us, but I was just joking.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I have a solution. The endos were going to be the weak link. I bought 3.0 inch tyres and tubes from the sports store, ran the surly tubes flat inside the tyres as a buffer, and will carry the spare endo and tube as backup. Running a sealant through the tyres as an added buffer. Machined a hanger from a piece of steel at a local workshop. Did some laps of a thorn tree with no punctures. Dropping as much weight as possible and will see how we go. Back out tommorrow.

mtbr member
    happy trails mate!!

mtbr member

Good luck, for sure!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    wait. You had access to 3.0" tires, and tubes, and the internet, but you couldn't find duct tape and tire sealant?

I would think you could find those at a gas station.

Lord Thunderbottom
    set up the pool noodles with normal 26" tubes on mine this weekend

so far I can't tell they are even in there, should keep any thorns etc shorter than 1/2" or so away from my tubes

I used 2 noodles per tire, split lengthwise and duct taped them end to end into a doughnut, they were just slightly larger than the tire diameter so they fit in nice and snug and didn't wiggle around

my tubes were held in place nicely in the center of the noodle

mtbr member
    Thank You, Titan, for trying this and posting. I was feeling pretty under-appreciated. I know tubeless is lighter, but I change tires often enough that it's not worth it for me. I'm pretty sure the pool toobs have saved me from 2 pinch flats and one puncture in just 2 rides since install. Still not sure about the ride quality, though. Would love to hear from You or anyone else who's tried the same tire with and without the pooltubes. I'm sure they compress a little, especially on harder surfaces at higher pressures, and may even add rolling resistance.
    Last edited by dudeist; 05-18-2013 at 04:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dudeist View Post
    Thank You, Titan, for trying this and posting. I was feeling pretty under-appreciated. I know tubeless is lighter, but I change tires enough that it's not worth it for me. I'm pretty sure the pool toobs have saved me from 2 pinch flats and one puncture in just 2 rides since install. Still not sure about the ride quality, though. Would love to hear from You or anyone else who's tried the same tire with and without the pooltubes. I'm sure they compress a little, especially on harder surfaces at higher pressures, and may even add rolling resistance.
    I'm following this idea with interest - looks like it could be a great alternative to tubeless if the ride's OK

Thanks for sharing!
    If you need me I'll be at the bar

mtbr member

while I have to say that I HAVEN'T done the pool tube method, I don't think that it should be compared to tubeless, which is far more than avoiding pinch flats. This actually adds rotational weight to your bike, not ideal.

Lord Thunderbottom
    2 pool noodles and duct tape per tire was only like 100g, 40-44 per noodle

so between this and a smaller tube it's still less than a surly tube
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by TitanofChaos View Post
    2 pool noodles and duct tape per tire was only like 100g, 40-44 per noodle

so between this and a smaller tube it's still less than a surly tube
    True dat!! Are you running some ultra light tube now? Did you just tape the foam together at the ends, down the middle, or all over? I'd be concerned about a tube working in between and, you know, pinching. Also, abrasion? Got pics?

mtbr member
    GearInches.com Panaracer FlatAway Review Less weight= mo' money. $15-$20 [and only 40mm wide-not for fatties]

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    i've done the pool tube/pipe insulation first on a rear tire, and then on both... haven't had flats or issues with foam deterioration.. mind you ,, it's only been a few months. I suspect it would help with pinch flats as well,, but never had gotten those, so can't say..

I don't feel much of a difference in ride quality,, but I know on my 29'ers. going from tubes to tubeless. I actually disliked the squishy feeling of tubeless. but that's just my opinion...

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by autodoctor911 View Post
    wait. You had access to 3.0" tires, and tubes, and the internet, but you couldn't find duct tape and tire sealant?

I would think you could find those at a gas station.
    This is exactly what I was thinking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    It might be a good idea to cut out a square inch of foam and then put a 6 pound or 10 pound weight on it to see what happens, 'cuz that's how it will compress when it is in your tire with 6 psi or 10 psi. I think at 6 psi it should be 25% smaller, and at 10 psi it should be 40% smaller. That's not too bad.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast