mtbr member

Upgrading the brakes on my Mukluk

I'm looking for some suggestions for upgrading my brakes on my Muk. It currently has BB5's that perform just OK. I'm 5'11 220 and ride on some steep terrain at times and the BB5's seem to struggle after long descents.

I don't mind bleeding so hydraulics are an option. Should I just with BB7's or a middle of the road hydraulic? I have about $150 to spend.

Thanks
    2015 Specialized Fatboy Comp (On order)
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 3
    http://tincup69.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'm about your height/weight at 5'10", 210, and the one thing that I really hated about my previous Mukluk 3 were the BB5 brakes. My LBS was practically apologetic when I talked to them about upgrading to BB7s - and I was getting ready to do that until I sold the bike a few months back. Absolutely toss the BB5s. I also was using replacement brake levers too but I can't recall the model name - they were a huge improvement over the stock junk.

mtbr member
    Shimano XT. Best upgrade I made to my muk. You'll want them on all your bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    If you want to go cable - BB7's.

If you want to go for the juice - SLX or XT's.

Anything else just don't compare.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I fitted hydro brakes to my '12 Mukluk, work great, but the rear lines will need to be over 1700mm long, so you might need to use a jagwire hydro kit to make it work, unless you cable tie the lines to the frame and not use the existing run. Or you have a later Mukluk then you might get away with it.

I'm using an old set of Deores with XTR pads and they work okay for me, but XT or SLX's for the win.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    As said, XT's seem to have had great reviews by those that use them.... Unless you go on the beach, in which case BB7's might be a more reliable choice as they are proven to work well there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Shimano xt's or Formula the ones are great, BB7's are only just adequate for steep descents.

The Dog.
    I would recommend against anything with mineral oil if you ride in cold temps. My XT's were the most powerful brakes I have ever used, but they became pumped-up, woody, and nearly non-functioning in cold temps.

nothing to see here
    SLX are the same as XT without the pad contact adjustment, which you'll never use anyway (I have the XT's). Just make sure you get the icetech rotors too.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogdude222 View Post
    I would recommend against anything with mineral oil if you ride in cold temps. My XT's were the most powerful brakes I have ever used, but they became pumped-up, woody, and nearly non-functioning in cold temps.
    This was supposedly resolved.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jcaino View Post
    This was supposedly resolved.
    With what?

mtbr member
    ^^^curious as well, since the issue is the mineral oil vs DOT reacting poorly to the cold.

"You're like a Ferrari engine driving a dump truck"

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I believe there was a problem with the seals in the older XT775's that froze/hardened up in cold conditions, but they've since revised the seals.

I ride with my LBS owner a good bit, including lots of fat biking in winter, and he's never had a problem with his XT's. Coldest ride this past winter was started with temps ~20 degrees F, and dropped into single digits by the time we were done almost 4 hours later.

I also know a dude that runs Magura's in the winter with no issues...those are mineral oil, too.

mtbr member
    It looks like the SLX's would be around $300 with rotors? Almost twice what I was looking to pay. Looks like I need to save a few more dollars!

Thanks for the help.
    2015 Specialized Fatboy Comp (On order)
    2014 Trek Fuel EX8
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 3
    http://tincup69.blogspot.com/

try anything on a bike
    Sep 2008

Upgrading the brakes on my Mukluk

Go bb7s. You'll notice huge improvement and that are as reliable as they come. Then use what you saved for some nice bars or a saddle.

2012 Anthem X29 4 - mine
    2011 Mukluk - mine
    2013 Talon 0 29er womens - wife's.

mtbr member
    TinCup... check into the Zee line. Shimano M640 Zee Disc Brake > Components > Brakes > Disc Brakes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    Yes, you will spend a bit more than a set of BB7's... but your braking performance will be exceptional. I was a skeptic when I got the XT's... but worth every cent. (so much so, I'd like to replace the Avid XO hydros on my other bike).

Quote Originally Posted by Tincup69 View Post
    It looks like the SLX's would be around $300 with rotors? Almost twice what I was looking to pay. Looks like I need to save a few more dollars!

Thanks for the help.
    Personally... I'm a Hayes guy.... Price Point has a hot buy on the Hayes Prime Comp brakes... $70... so $140 a set. I have the Prime Expert's which add the caliper 'bite' adjustment... which is AWESOME for on my fat bike, because if the rotors get mucked up and start making sporadic noises, I simply adjust the lever on the fly and it backs the caliper out. No more noise. The Comp's don't have that... but they are also more affordable and still have the Hayes Prime reliability. DOT fluid as well and I have ran mine down to -20 without noticing anything weird.

I have the Hayes Stroker Trails on my FS 29er and been running them for 3 years and they are great. Hayes CS is really fast and responsive as well. My 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    So are the new Shimano brakes (XT-M785s) able to work decently in the cold? I have M785s on all the bikes at our house, except our fat bikes, which has the crappily performing Avid Elixir 9s. Would love to have some of that modulation and power during the colder and snowier times on my Muk. I ride my Muk down to 0F.

Thanks for any info - BS

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogdude222 View Post
    +one

I have XTR dual control brakes on my 9zero7 (Great with thick gloves) and I love them very much, until it get below zero, then they work like crap.

Clueless Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    +one

I have XTR dual control brakes on my 9zero7 (Great with thick gloves) and I love them very much, until it get below zero, then they work like crap.
    You must have alien fingers...How do you reach your brake levers?
    I too am going to get rid of my BB7s. Gonna try the new Hope Tech 3 X2...

Clears
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    +one

Beauty bike patineto but all that cash into it and you are still rolling the endo on the rear?! I can make your Christmas list for you right now

As far as brakes go. +++++ on all the shimano nods. Any in the line; SLX, XT or XTR. I've got XT's on my Superfly and they whomp. I've run BB5's on my muk and they are fair to midland at best. BB7's are a big upgrade and I think for winter riding are more than needed. If I were to ride my muk year round, perhaps I could see going with the shimano's.