mtbr member

Under a canopy of trees: part 2

A good breakfast is essential if you intend to ride trails all day long and so I stuffed as many calorific things as I could into a croissant and got some coffee on the go. It had been cold through the night and I had stayed in my sleeping bag well after sun up. This meant that I would have to hustle to get to the planned objective for the day: the River Findhorn.

Findhorn salmon and trout are prized by the fishermen who have made trails along the side of the river. The bench cut sections on the steep gorge sides above the classic grade 2-4 white water were my objective after a blog post by Huw Oliver planted the seed in my mind.

Rolling through Rothiemurchas after fuelling up I couldnt help but smile. I had no where else to be and nothing else to do but pedal. Climbing through the Ryvoan pass, into Abernethy forest the speed was high. Calm weather and high pressure meant a crisp but sunny day with a hint of a tail wind.

Following the River Spey to Grantown, I then joined the Dava Way and spun the cranks northwards. The Dava Way is a relatively recent walking/cycling path that stretches from Grantown, 38km to Forres, near the Moray Firth. It follows the foundation of the old Highland Railway and as such is of mellow gradient and good surface for the most part. Some sections are 'rafted' on boggier ground and it made a sharp contrast with the rocky, steep trails of the Northern Cairngorm start.

On reaching the River Divie, I digressed from the route and went in search of the fabled Findhorn singletrack.

It didn't disappoint.

I had hoped to be back in Aviemore in time for dinner and given that it was a sunday, this meant keeping total ride time to 8-9 hours ideally. It became clear that if I continued on the river side, I might have to dine at 'Mountain House'.

I couldn't resist a little more, crossing the worlds most rickety bridge and taking in the surroundings as I munched on a snack or two.

Eventually I decided that there was more exploring to be done in the area and a future trip focussing on this would be required. With a rueful smile, I turned tail and headed back, south towards the mountains, away from the sea.

The ride was around 115km but the climbing was easy due to the rail grade - about 1000m. Mike and his friend Ike - washed down with Irn Bru - gave me wings...

This place needs an enema
    How any trip of any significance happened before Mike 'n Ike ruled the world is just beyond my comprehension...

mtbr member
    they are spectacularly good - it was your recommendation that got me on to them - thank you! :-)~

FB&H rider
    Beautiful stuff!
    'Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill'

2016 Trek Farley 5 "Farley"
    2017 Growler Mr Big Stuff "Sir Fatsalot"

mtbr member
    dRjOn exposes why Scottish cyclists don't need Lance's special vitamins

As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland