mtbr member

Under a canopy of trees: part 1

Drive, north, pitch tent, revel in the cold, clear Cairngorm air and look at a cerulean blue sky between the red branches of the trees. Saddle up and hit the trail, bound for a relic of a time gone by, Utsi's hut. The Swedish herder reintroduced reindeer to the area in the mid 1950's. They are spectacular animals - I love seeing them and they are well established now.

Take some of the lesser travelled trails, grinning despite the growing wind, then drizzle, then hail and finally persistent rain.

Shivering, the smile remains and after some warming food, a wee dram and the maps are broken out to plan for the next day.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn View Post

Nice cup!

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    Nice cup!

-F
    ;-)~

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Three letters: G, P, S.

"Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

noob bikepacker
    Definitely subscribed!!! So jealous of you getting to ride in Sweden!...and forget GPS, old school orienteering is an art and craft in and of itself. Keep those skills strong and pocket the GPS for emergencies
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil View Post
    Three letters: G, P, S.

:-)~ for some reason, uisge beatha and tiny screens don't seem to mix too well...i've not been able to figure out why, so I'll keep trying....

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing. Looks unbelievable! Have fun and be safe.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    more pictures please
    Mongoose product development

Elitest thrill junkie
    Looks a lot like many of the places we ride in Alaska in the summer. Be thankful you don't have to contend with Moose. Had to pull my bear-spray out yesterday after getting cornered. Luckily didn't have to use it.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    ...So jealous of you getting to ride in Sweden!...
    The Cairngorms have been moved to Sweden!? How did they do that?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The Forest looks so clean and orderly compared to around here. Out of curiosity I tried to search how far it was from Braemar to Glen Avon and it said it "One or more waypoints can't be routed because they are too far from any roads. Ha!

Looks like a great ride. How far are you traveling total?

Steven
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    LOL @ map labeled "Explorer 404"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shoo View Post
    The Forest looks so clean and orderly compared to around here. Out of curiosity I tried to search how far it was from Braemar to Glen Avon and it said it "One or more waypoints can't be routed because they are too far from any roads. Ha!

Looks like a great ride. How far are you traveling total?

Steven
    if you look here, you can use the wee map box to toggle around and increase/decrease scale and give some idea. Glen Avon runs east west, a few km north of Braemar. it connects the Strath Avon/Glen Builg (a north south glen that is often used in 'tour of the Cairngorm' routes as one of the N-S sections, usually the other being Glen Feshie, which is further west) to the Lairig an Laoigh. These are the 2 major passes through the Cairngorm itself - the Lairig Ghru and the Lairig an Laoigh are pretty brutal by bike, the former being mind bendingly so.

This ride was short - about 4 hours total. you can ride a long way on relatively easy trails here, or take very hard, steep trails - see a previous ride here for example - HTH!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Great info, thanks. I will do looking some more around tonight.

if you look here, you can use the wee map box to toggle around and increase/decrease scale and give some idea. Glen Avon runs east west, a few km north of Braemar. it connects the Strath Avon/Glen Builg (a north south glen that is often used in 'tour of the Cairngorm' routes as one of the N-S sections, usually the other being Glen Feshie, which is further west) to the Lairig an Laoigh. These are the 2 major passes through the Cairngorm itself - the Lairig Ghru and the Lairig an Laoigh are pretty brutal by bike, the former being mind bendingly so.

This ride was short - about 4 hours total. you can ride a long way on relatively easy trails here, or take very hard, steep trails - see a previous ride here for example - HTH!
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

noob bikepacker
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    The Cairngorms have been moved to Sweden!? How did they do that?
    oh...I saw Swedish herders and didn't put 2 and 2 together....herders would have been nomadic...
    "It's about having pointless fun in the woods...." - Walt
    '15 Surly Krampus
    '87 Mongoose Californian Pro

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sXeXBMXer View Post
    oh...I saw Swedish herders and didn't put 2 and 2 together....herders would have been nomadic...
    it *is* very similar - i thought as much when i was riding near stockholm....