Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Boo Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    331

    Unanticipated fatty benefit

    We've had a pretty crappy winter here in Southern New Hampshire so far. by crappy I mean warm and more rain than snow. But I did go out for a ride today on a local rail trail. The trail conditions are crap, but it was still a lot of fun.

    On my way home something cool occurred to me - I wouldn't have been outside today if it weren't for the fat bike- I'd have been at the gym.

    I snowshoe, xc ski, hike, run....I do a lot in the winter. I figured getting a fat bike would give me one more option for my winter activities. But the trails are in such crappy condition- not enough snow for skiing or snowshoeing, and while I could put my microspikes on and hike, it'd be more annoying than I was in the mood for.

    But the fat bike saved the day. Never anticipated there'd be winter days where a BIKE was the best option for my outdoor fun. Haha.

    Pretty cool. Now if we could just get some friggin' snow!
    Crashing mountain bikes since 1990.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    55
    I bought my fat bike just after Christmas for kind of the same reasons you did, more options for winter. Now I ask myself why did I not buy one sooner. So much fun not to put the bike away for months and months.

  3. #3
    Professional Crastinator
    Reputation: Fleas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,657
    For me, the benefit was fully anticipated - although I wasn't sure I believed all the hype. I came to discover that the hype was all true.

    -F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    141
    I'd be on the trainer all the time if it wasn't for my fatbike.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by wArden View Post
    I'd be on the trainer all the time if it wasn't for my fatbike.
    +1. I hate using my trainer, although I do intervals with it. I prefer my rollers to the trainer, but still not crazy about that either. I just generally hate working out indoors. I'd prefer to be outside....and so I try to be as often as possible.

  6. #6
    Rippin da fAt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,592
    Boo Bear,

    I was in the process of getting all the bits for my 9:Zero:7 frame when I had a massive heart attack. Laying in a hospital bed asking the cardiologist "When can I ride my bike?"
    3 months later, the dr. offered to let me offa cardiac rehab if I would ride my fatty 1.5 hrs. a day, 4 days a week. Geez, Doc, ya don't hafta twist my arm quite that much to get me to ride a bike!! After all, who in their right mind can resist the lure of a bike wearing 26x4.8" shoes?? The addiction runs deep!

    Surgeon General's Warning: Fatbiking may cause uncontrollable hysterical laughter.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    568
    ^now if only your doctor could have written you a prescription for a fat bike and your insurance paid!

  8. #8
    Rippin da fAt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,592
    He did but insurance was Benedict Arnold about it! Either way, the fatty is my buddy!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    342
    Insurance absolutely refuses to pay for anything fun. Now if you explained to them that you ride til you puke THEN they might cover it.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    55
    It would have been nice if some of my HSA dollars could have been used for my fat bike purchase.

  11. #11
    Rippin da fAt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,592
    Quote Originally Posted by mactweek View Post
    Insurance absolutely refuses to pay for anything fun. Now if you explained to them that you ride til you puke THEN they might cover it.
    Werd!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Bear View Post
    We've had a pretty crappy winter here in Southern New Hampshire so far. by crappy I mean warm and more rain than snow. But I did go out for a ride today on a local rail trail. The trail conditions are crap, but it was still a lot of fun.

    On my way home something cool occurred to me - I wouldn't have been outside today if it weren't for the fat bike- I'd have been at the gym.

    I snowshoe, xc ski, hike, run....I do a lot in the winter. I figured getting a fat bike would give me one more option for my winter activities. But the trails are in such crappy condition- not enough snow for skiing or snowshoeing, and while I could put my microspikes on and hike, it'd be more annoying than I was in the mood for.

    But the fat bike saved the day. Never anticipated there'd be winter days where a BIKE was the best option for my outdoor fun. Haha.

    Pretty cool. Now if we could just get some friggin' snow!
    I've seen lots of trash talk about fat bikes in 'normal' bike media but I swear owning a fatty has completely changed winters for me. XC Skiing is even more condition dependent than biking and downhill skiing is expensive and takes a whole day where I live (western Montana). I can head out on the bike most days all winter and have a decent ride in 2 hours. That is key when your life is consumed with kids and work. Sure, many of the rides are in the dark, slogfests or wet or dealing with glare ice, but with the right lights, clothing and tires, it's all better than xc skiing on 90% of the days.
    I'm not convinced of the merits of a fatty on our dry buff single track in the summer. It's fun but I find that my hardtail 29er is better on that. But my fatty has definitely made winters much more bearable.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    568
    I'll be leaving my house at 610, and will arrive at the state park at 615

    We got a little snow here just south of Boston last night so I'm looking forward to the light reflecting off the some crust

    Nights are awesome and I could no agree more than fatty makes this time of the year awesome

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Boo Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by ghood View Post
    I've seen lots of trash talk about fat bikes in 'normal' bike media but I swear owning a fatty has completely changed winters for me. XC Skiing is even more condition dependent than biking and downhill skiing is expensive and takes a whole day where I live (western Montana). I can head out on the bike most days all winter and have a decent ride in 2 hours. That is key when your life is consumed with kids and work. Sure, many of the rides are in the dark, slogfests or wet or dealing with glare ice, but with the right lights, clothing and tires, it's all better than xc skiing on 90% of the days.
    I'm not convinced of the merits of a fatty on our dry buff single track in the summer. It's fun but I find that my hardtail 29er is better on that. But my fatty has definitely made winters much more bearable.
    Agreed on the dry stuff- I got my fatty in October and my first thoughts were, "Why the heck is everyone so crazy about this?" But in the snow it is totally a game changer. I burned about the same calories/hour fat biking today as I do xc skiing. And I like xc skiing, but I don't like the increased risk of injury. (Sprained my MCL last February, for instance.)

    Afraid my snowshoes, crampons, and winter hiking gear might not get as much love now.
    Crashing mountain bikes since 1990.

  15. #15
    Rippin da fAt
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,592
    Quote Originally Posted by blidner View Post
    I'll be leaving my house at 610, and will arrive at the state park at 615

    We got a little snow here just south of Boston last night so I'm looking forward to the light reflecting off the some crust

    Nights are awesome and I could no agree more than fatty makes this time of the year awesome
    Wouldn't have it any other way!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tigerteeuwen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    For me, the benefit was fully anticipated - although I wasn't sure I believed all the hype. I came to discover that the hype was all true.

    -F
    Pretty much sums up my experience, I bought my fat bike for winter commuting having never tried one before, and I was pleasantly surprised after riding it, and that spurned additional winter riding non commuting related.

  17. #17
    Mayor of Waterdog
    Reputation: Ol' Bromy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    391
    I just bought my first fat bike thinking that I would use it as my primary winter bike. I took my fatty out for our second ride yesterday. The trails were very muddy, but my new rig got really good traction. My buddies were following on normal mountain bikes and said that they we're trying to stay in my tire tracks as they'd get better traction there. We've got rain in the forecast for tomorrow, but my fatty's loaded up for an after work ride.
    “We bring Saturdays” ~ Homme

Similar Threads

  1. Fatty for a Clydesdale fatty?
    By schnee in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-30-2014, 05:14 AM
  2. On One Fatty and Baby Fatty, complete or kit
    By eugenemtbing in forum Where are the Best Deals?
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-14-2014, 10:39 AM
  3. 1x10 - what's the benefit over 1x9?
    By RTM in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-18-2012, 03:27 PM
  4. I'm such a fat fatty-a**-fatty-fat-butt
    By pippinr in forum Clydesdales/Tall Riders
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-13-2011, 09:03 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •