Thread: UMA2 tubeless

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

UMA2 tubeless

I thought this was covered before but the search came up empty. I just got a new set of UMA2 70mm rims and I want to run them tubeless with the endo rear and larry front both 127TPI. The rims came with some nylon cloth that I assume goes over the holes in the rims, do I then put gorilla tape over the nylon cloth? Also, how much stans have you been putting in? I was thinking about starting at 5 scoops.

Nuts
    I use 3 scoops in my 90's no idea if that's enough though.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    use two layers of foam and do the split tube thing

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by bnelson View Post
    use two layers of foam and do the split tube thing
    No split tube or foam needed. Never did the 70's but if they are like the 90's the op is on: the right track.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    I had mixed success with gorilla tape. The rim is so wide that you need two pieces overlapping. Kept resulting in leaks for me.
    Some helpful fellow in this very thread read of my troubles and sent me some wide, very wide stans tape.
    It works! It's lighter than split tube too. Since getting light was a goal, there was no alternative in my head.
    I used three scoops. No issues at all. No loss of air. No burping. Running pressures so low that they don't register on a tire gage. Low enough that i have had some serious rim strikes on rocks, but no issues.
    Keep your fabric, cover it with tape, preferably stans, and try it out. You may need to fill in the drain holes and watch the rim seam closely as those can be air escape areas.
    Here is mine.

Please read of my prior attempts and troubles:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/fat-bikes/907-here-754624.html#post8790207

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

wide tape

where did you locate the wide tape?

mtbr member
    Bdun got it from fatback bikes. http://shop.fatbackbikes.com/
    Edit: btw, you may have to call. Not a regular web item.
    Last edited by thickfog; 02-04-2012 at 02:29 PM.

How much does it weigh?
    Tubeless would be nice...

My skinny tube in fat tire has developed the squelch sound every revolution...

Fatback
    Check your rims. A noise once a revolution sounds more like a cracked rim than a tube issue. We've put some serious stretch on tubes before. Most of them failed, but none of them made noise (other than the shotgun blast of failure).
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgschulze View Post
    Tubeless would be nice...

My skinny tube in fat tire has developed the squelch sound every revolution...
    If you mean skinny tube as in, 26x2.1 etc tube? Yep, squelch, squelch squelch, been there, done that.

It's the spot in the tube where it simply won't inflate enough to support the tire adequately. Ride it that way for a while, and when you open it up, you'll have all manner of rubber shavings in there from the tube and tire rubbing on each other.

Not saying it can't be the rim, by all means, as Thirstywork said, check that too, but a normal tube will likely cure your funky noises. That, or goin' tubeless.

At the thickfog, yeah, I've seen the same thing with narrower tape, the sealant really wants to get out, and a little rumple in the tape gives it all the edge it needs. It makes the adhesive inthe tape give way faster than you can say boo.

The ultra wide Stans tape is the way to go, hands down.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Wide Stan's tape

What type of tape is it? I contacted Stan's and they said they don't sell it. Obviously Stan's doesn't make their own tape and I'll bet it's some kind of 3M tape. Anyone have a good guess? Otherwise I can use the 3 inch wide gorilla tape. The overlapping 2-inch gorilla tape failed miserably on my uma2's.

Nuts
    [QUOTE=noish;8988184]What type of tape is it? I contacted Stan's and they said they don't sell it. Obviously Stan's doesn't make their own tape and I'll bet it's some kind of 3M tape. Anyone have a good guess? Otherwise I can use the 3 inch wide gorilla tape. The overlapping 2-inch gorilla tape failed miserably on my uma2's.[/QUOT

It is the exact same tape as Stans just wider. I was told by Speedway that they had it cut in a big lot just for them just not sure who cut it but I believe Speedway is the only place you will get it.
    And I love beer!!

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    ^This^.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

addicted to chunk
    You have to call them, tell them the secret password, then be very discreet about it....

"Hey, I'm calling about the....ummm...you know...." (whisper quiet)...."wide tape....word on the street is you guys are the only supplier...I got the cash...."

Riding.....

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by shark View Post
    you have to call them, tell them the secret password, then be very discreet about it....

"hey, i'm calling about the....ummm...you know...." (whisper quiet)...."wide tape....word on the street is you guys are the only supplier...i got the cash...."

:d
    I like it
    And I love beer!!

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    You have to call them, tell them the secret password, then be very discreet about it....

"Hey, I'm calling about the....ummm...you know...." (whisper quiet)...."wide tape....word on the street is you guys are the only supplier...I got the cash...."

Reply from the other end of the phone :
    Cash ?
    First one is on the house !

That's how you reel them in...