mtbr member
    Dec 2011

tyvec tire liners on fat bikes

so I've been getting a lot of flats recently due to Goat Head thorns getting through the Larry's into my tubes, even running low pressure.. ... nobody seems to make tire liners for fat bikes yet and I thought of tyvek as a solution, I wondered if any of you fat bikers had tried tyvek? good results?
    I think I'm just gonna give it a shot. I got some free FedEx envelopes today...
    I'll post up some WIP stuff when I get to it.

mtbr member
    Maybe you should try going tubeless if thorns are the main issue. I just did mine, and I had a fun time setting it up and it's holding so far. Plus the suppleness and less weight is noticeable. But if you want to keep tubes I think it sounds like a good Idea. Maybe put a little bit of glue down the middle of the tire to hold whatever material in place. It would make it easier to put the tube in place and ensure that it stays centered while pumping up. Let us know how it works.

mtbr member
    Not tried Tyvek but my guess it wouldn't be all that effective if any against thorns. Have you tried some Stan's in your tubes?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'm not ready to jump to tubeless just yet... mentally! I'll post an update and results once I get them done up.

Dr Gadget is IN
    I'm going to vote "tyvek won't help", but mostly based on my experience with other tire liners - that don't work.

Sealant in your tubes is going to work better, but yes - tubeless is the best solution.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    I disagree, Tyvek might actually work quite well. Here's why - the cross weave of the material itself makes it nearly impossible to rip until a flaw is made via razor or other bladed object. I would say it would help to deflect the goat heads. I would suggest dual layers, though. Also, you may need to affix them to the tire shell itself somehow to prevent bunching. I'd vote to give it a try. Can't be worse than using a slime liner that eventually buckles up and creates sharp points.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Just found this - Rubber Roll | Rubber Sheet Roll
    It might make an excellent DIY tire liner, and it's a cheap experiment.

Once I get my fat bike, I'll get some and give a report.

ETA: Thinking about it ... It's to heavy ... Got to find some polyurethane roll material.
    That's what most of these liners seem to be, anyway.
    Last edited by bikeabuser; 08-14-2012 at 11:55 PM.

Frt Range, CO
    I've never actually used Mr Tuffy but it is impossible to penetrate. Maybe a pair of liners side-by-side can work for a fat tire?

Mr Tuffy Tire Liners Prevents Puntures and Flats... Original and still the BEST!

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I've seen rumpled up tire liners cause more flats than you can imagine.

Low pressures will only increase the rumpling inside.

I do agree that conceptually it's not a bad idea though, just not in practice.

Tubeless, love it.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Really I am that slow
    Special Ed airlock sealant on my fat front works quite well
    Read my BLOG!

Nipple twister and bike builder at Borealis

http://www.borealisbikes.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    I've seen rumpled up tire liners cause more flats than you can imagine.

Low pressures will only increase the rumpling inside.

I do agree that conceptually it's not a bad idea though, just not in practice.

Tubeless, love it.
    I agree. When I pulled out my slime liners, I noticed that they had kinked, creating a nice sharp point on which tubes would get holes.

The idea behind tyvek is that it is more cloth-like so could not create a flat-causing area like on many of the plastic liners.

I agree, also, that tubeless would be a great option, but it is not for everyone.

I will say that I've last had a flat nearly a year ago (knock on wood) and am a daily commuter. I do not use liners, slime, stan's, or any other product. What I've done is simply identified a tire pressure that keeps me from snakebiting while also allowing me to roll over most potential tire poppers (Lots and lots and lots of broken glass around Anchorage, it seems) Granted, we do not have an issue with goat heads and I'm not sure that devil's club could penetrate.

I still tell the OP to go for it, give it a try and see what happens. What do you have to lose?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    well, as luck would have it, I came out of work tonight excited to go ride and found a flat fat tire bike waiting for me. I got it home and slid some tyvek in there with a patched tube. we'll see how it goes. I would have taken pics but I was trying to do video, which didn't work. :P

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Update?

Any update? I am assuming the radio silence probably means "no go"
    Zip

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    OK- it has been a loOOOOOOOOoong time since I reported - since the time of the last post (5 months ago) I have had 0 flats from thorns (or anything else for that matter). I did have a slow leak in the rear tube for pretty much that entire time (I assume I missed a spot or had a bad patch job) until the end of December, when I added some slime to the tubes (both).

I guess I have no direct evidece that the tyvek works or doesn't work, but it just might.

so to sum up: I'm running tyvek "liners" with slimed tubes front and rear and things seem to be going great.