Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tyre Choice

mtbr member

Tyre Choice

When I built my second Pugsley I used a couple of spare Endomorph tyres but I'm looking to change them for something more suitable for off-piste terrain, namely, trackless boggy grass/moorland. Wondering if Nates would be better than Larry's. Perhaps 45Nrth Husker Du's? Any comments appreciated.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Gonna come down to Nate or Du, Nate will have way more bite but more rolling resistance than the Du.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    It depends...but under the circumstances you describe the du is probably the tyre I would try first.

It's too bad Dunlop doesn't come out with a K70 for fatbikes. But then again this wasn't an ideal tyre on recently rained on desert lakes of southern Calfornia because the sticky mud wouldn't clean out with each revolution...even with the high reving two strokes of yesteryear; circa late 60's.

While I don't have first hand experience I hear from one fatbike racer that the nate is superior in the steering position; again this is under certain conditions. With the du and the nate expect increased rolling resistence which is a pretty important factor.

Personally, I like the Larry that came with my 907 because it seems to be a good middle of the road tyre that can be adjusted to many environmental conditions by simply adjusting the air pressure.

Another Retro Grouch
    I find the HuDu to be perfect for my Pugs. Less rolling resistance than the Larry or Endo, more traction than either. I want a Big Fat HuDu for my Moonie.

Geordie biker
    Larrys don't like bogs and off piste uk conditions.....

They wash out and spin, hence I added nates to the pugsley. Never known traction like it, and so much confidence, you can keep them low or high pressure, doesn't matter, they grip and go.

I had to reverse the BFL on the moonlander to get me through marshland and bogs here....always craving the extra bite from nates.

Tonight I stuck the BFLs on the pugsley and my moonlander is now wearing nates.....I seem to ride more sticky conditions and rocks rather then the soft sand the BFLs conquer.
    2014 milage so far - 2,167
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

mighty sailin' man
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter View Post
    Less rolling resistance than the Larry or Endo
    Surprised to hear this. Anyone else say the same?
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

mtbr member
    I did a 24 hour race recently. Nate on front, Larry rear.

At first I was cursing the Nate because it felt harder to push.

Then on some of the fast muddy downhills I was going speedway style sideways most of the time (where were the photographers!). More cursing. Eventually I realised the Nate was going where I was pointing it and it was just the back wheel whipping around because it was floating over the mud. Without the Nate I would have been off - there were quite a few falls there.

So, verdict? - I love the Nate

Though I will say it's not the easiest tyre to push for 24 hours when you're riding a singlespeed.

Here is a pic of some of the mud before the race. It was liquid after one lap and gloopy deep.

As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    The Nate is perfect if you are riding in conditions like Velo has posted above.

I feel it is overkill as an all round tyre & see it as winter mud rubber, it is all about grip & everything is a compromise (Not a bad thing!)

It is also very draggy when beach riding. I have settled for BFL/Larry combo for beach & swap to Nate for mud/slop when required.
    Last edited by motorman; 02-10-2012 at 06:01 PM.
    Drink coffee....ride bikes....eat cake
    http://morayfatbike.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    My Nate is going on my geared bike. Too much like hard work on a singlespeed

I think the Husker Du may be worth a look - when we can get them, that is.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Anybody have experience with the Origin8 Devast8or? It's listed as a 4.0 tire. No reviews on this site that I've seen.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by AcuNinja View Post
    Anybody have experience with the Origin8 Devast8or? It's listed as a 4.0 tire. No reviews on this site that I've seen.
    You might have seen this but if you haven't there is a little info here.

Origin8 OR8 Devist8er 4.0 tire
    And I love beer!!

ouch....
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    Same here, lighter, rolls better, and way more grip.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    I can't comment on the 45Nrth Husker Du's, but I LOVE the Nates in loose snow, mud and standing water -- boldly going where no other tire dares to go.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    Not the first time I have seen this posted. I am wondering why myself.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    There has to be a scientific method for determining rolling resistance
    for a given tire under various conditions.

mighty sailin' man
    ^^ and that's what I'm wondering. I'm sure conditions play a big part in it.
    I'm thinking the new way is to have several tire sets to swap to and holy carp is is sweet to have the options available!
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

Another Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Same here, lighter, rolls better, and way more grip.
    There's no doubt the HuDus have less rolling resistance and more traction that Larrys. For forward rolling resistance my theory is that the Larry knobs are spaced too far apart compared to the HuDu.

mtbr member
    Ride all sorts of terrain here in the UK from trailcentres, beach, bog and woodland.

Running Larry front and Nate rear...

....no wash out or spin problems here. (yet!)

Directional on the fornt and paddle on the back so far has always given me best results.
    Leave nothing but footprints & take nothing but photographs.

Geordie biker
    I'm running nates on my moonlander and so far I'm lovin it.

I wanted to try them at higher pressures than the 5psi BFLs, as lots of my riding is on Tarmac or hard ground, and then onto boggy soft ground.

Been great today, little bit hard for rock crawling, as I'd expected, but never had to stop all day....bike handled everything just fine.
    2014 milage so far - 2,167
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    My Nate is going on my geared bike. Too much like hard work on a singlespeed

I think the Husker Du may be worth a look - when we can get them, that is.
    * cough *

I might be giving mine a go this week.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    If boggy grass is what I think it is then a larry/endo combo is the way to go. Why? Isn't this the sort of condition that would warrant staying on top of as opposed to digging in till firm terra firma is located? Velo has the experience and the answer imho. With respect to nates and du's having less rolling resistence...under what circumstances?

Another Retro Grouch
    Not Nates, they have plenty of rolling restsance. Several posters, including me, have found that HUDu have less rolling resistance than Larry, under all conditions. IMHO, HuDus are just a better design that Larrys and Endos.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

wondering what this will be like :-)

its from Brants flickr BTW ;-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Not Nates, they have plenty of rolling restsance. Several posters, including me, have found that HUDu have less rolling resistance than Larry, under all conditions. IMHO, HuDus are just a better design that Larrys and Endos.
    Spent some time last night in the Cambell Tract, me on a 907 with a larry/endo combo and my riding partner on du's. There is one long downhill following a short trek up a steep hill after the tower and I thought the snow conditions favored my set-up and my partner thought they favored his. Trail conditions are good but the temperature was in the low 30's.

I'm thinking of a du/larry set up but I'm not sold on the idea of pushing a tire through the snow. Perhaps Velo can chime in here and tell us what it was like pushing the nate through the mud. His comments regarding the downhill sections are telling.

Sandy Pants
    Feb 2011
    Running the usual Endomorph/Larry combo & having a blast. But getting tired of washout. Really like the look of HDs & the reviews of them. Only thing holding me back is a couple reviewers commented they are slightly narrower and noticeably smaller in diameter than Larrys. Slightly narrower I can live with, but a smaller diameter concerns me. Increased diameter increases float along with width; I'm not willing to give up very much float at all. Decreased diameter also means a lower bottom bracket which I am not interested in.
    Does any body have actual measurements of Larry vs HD diameters? If someone could put a level on top of a HD and measure from the level to the floor (with the level perfectly level, and a known psi), I could the do the same with my Larry and the same psi and have some objective info on this. Rims should also be the same for accuracy...I'm running drilled Rolling Darryls.
    Thanking any kind soul in advance that could provide this info.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast