Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Laramie, Wyoming

Turnagain Rims Tubeless??????

I just got my new Borealis and since they don't have the Carbondale rims, they gave me these Turnagain rims. I can't say I'm a happy camper as watching Flynn put a set of Bud and Lou tires on the Carbondale rims for a friend of mine is what convinced me to get a new bike.

The question, has anyone been successful at going tubeless on these rims?

And if so, what method did you succeed with?

mtbr member
    Bump

I'm wondering if anyone has successfully set these up tubeless also and how they did it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Here's a rough outline.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger View Post
    Bump

I'm wondering if anyone has successfully set these up tubeless also and how they did it.
    1) Secure the rimstrip (we use 12 gram Tyvek strips instead of 80g standard rimstrips) to the rim with tape.
    2) Two loops of 1'' wide foam tape along each rim wall.
    3) 5 or 6 loops of Gladpack or similar plastic wrap.
    4) Install tire and pour in some Stan's solution
    5)Pull the sidewalls outwards onto the foam tape.
    6)Inflate with any pump you have handy, like a mini pump.
    7) Trim off excess plastic.
    7) Ride

This method makes for easier tubeless setup than on my tubeless ready carbon rims.
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes
    Our fatbike videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/NDprototyping?feature=mhee

mtbr member
    Thanks
    This was helpful.
    I did a variation of this and after few attempts it did work. Usually I wouldn't bother to try and get a rim with no bead lock to work, but the goat heads in my area are really terrible.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Sounds good!
    Inflating the tires with this setup on our 103mm rims is way easier than on my tubeless ready bead lock type 80mm carbon rims, as it easily inflates with a minipump out on the trail, while the bead lock type requires a burst of air in order for the bead to pop into place on the carbon rims-
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    After failing with various tape set ups that I have used with other rims, a split 24" tube over the rim strip worked perfectly. Rode 90 miles today with no air loss.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlh View Post
    After failing with various tape set ups that I have used with other rims, a split 24" tube over the rim strip worked perfectly. Rode 90 miles today with no air loss.
    Nice, gonna give this a try would love to get back to tubeless!! Do you know what kind of pressure you are running??

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I've had it down to 6psi for the mixed snow/dirt rides I have been doing. I'll run it until my sidewalls wrinkle this weekend, and let you know how it goes. FWIW- I only weigh about 150lbs.

Laramie, Wyoming
    john, you might be 150 pounds with full winter gear on that is soaking wet.

mtbr member
    ^is this the only solution? Split tube or a bunch of foam/ plastic wrap? I was hoping they'd be easier to set up or at least similar to Rolling Darryls. I've tried doing my standard method (tape, install tire with tube, pop one side and pull tube out, put valve in, etc), but the beads won't stay set at all. Kind of a bummer.
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Even the 103 version that we run is incredibly easy to set up tubeless with the foam tape/plastic wrap method. I've run them down to 2.5psi without any issue, and I run JumBo Jim 4.8s tubeless without latex solution at the moment, with minimal loss of pressure.
    Foam tape/wrap weighs barely 40g, so I would guess that you save at least 1lb off the wheelset vs. a split tube.
    What is the weight of the 24x2.75 split tubes that folks use?

In addition, run a Tyvek strip instead of a stock nylon rimstrip and loop off another 1/4lb.
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The 24" Qtubes split tube over the rim strip seems to be the best solution. I've got 3,000 miles on this set up since my initial post, and while it is difficult to set up, it has been quite reliable at ultra low snow riding pressure. I put on my Bud & Lou a couple weeks ago, and they were much harder to install than the Dillinger 4s. It took me and four other guys at my local shop to each pull a section of the bead in place as one guy shot air in with the compressor. Plenty of Stans coating the bead helped quite a bit. I hate these rims for this reason, but they have been reliable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Espen, are you using actual Turnagain rims? The first generation FR80s are loads harder to run tubeless than any other rim I have ever set up. I know you are an industry insider, but the new tubeless ready Turnagains are still not quite ready for the general public.

mtbr member
    Unfortunately these do not go tubeless very easily. I tried foam and tape and it worked, but was a huge hassle and didn't hold up at low pressures. Sounds like split tube is the best approach. I've switched to tubes for now and will replace these rims eventually to a tubeless compatible pair. It is a little annoying to have a high end bike speced with rims that aren't tubeless, but I believe this will be changed soon if it hasn't already. The new Turnagain rims should work really well - at least that's what I've heard from people that are using them. I think the Sun Mulefut would also be a good alternative.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger View Post
    Unfortunately these do not go tubeless very easily. I tried foam and tape and it worked, but was a huge hassle and didn't hold up at low pressures. Sounds like split tube is the best approach. I've switched to tubes for now and will replace these rims eventually to a tubeless compatible pair. It is a little annoying to have a high end bike speced with rims that aren't tubeless, but I believe this will be changed soon if it hasn't already. The new Turnagain rims should work really well - at least that's what I've heard from people that are using them. I think the Sun Mulefut would also be a good alternative.
    The Mulefut sets up tubeless super easy. So easy I got er did on the first go round.

Workin for the weekend!
    Split tube method was a cinch as compared to tape or other methods. These rims aren't close to what is needed for tubeless. The Clownshoes and RD's have much better tire engagement.

I may bond the tire to the split tube flange using an instant adhesive to make it burp proof depending on how good/bad the idea works. So far so good. Only real fear is spining the tire on the wheel when the grip comes back after the winter.

I'm very surprised that in 2015 ANY Fatbikes are coming with these profiles for wheels. Surly must have put all their customers over a barrel with inventory allotments. Borealis, Norco, 9Zero7 all have their house brand wheels on these shitty Weinmann rims.
    Todd

mtbr member
    I was most upset when I realized my echo turnagrin to a frown rims were not gonna play nicely tubless. After several fails at mounting, I went with light 2.4-2.75 tubes. Put 4 oz. Of orange seal in the tube. Working great for stopping flats here in the AZ. Deserts. Until I change rims, this seems like a fairly lightweight alternative.
    RAM speed: UP, UP, and away....!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    The Mulefut sets up tubeless super easy. So easy I got er did on the first go round.
    What method did you use?

Getting ready to convert my Mulefuts and debating tyvec vs gorilla vs saran, ect.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My local shop is being especially good to me and will be swapping our my FR 80 rims with a set of the new FR 100s when they are available. It seems that their release keeps getting pushed back. I ordered my Yampa in late October, and was initially told that it may come with the new tubeless-ready rims, then it became a couple more weeks, a couple more, and eventually told by Borealis that it would be December. Borealis then told my shop that it would be early in January, then told them mid January. My shop left a message with Borealis today to see if they will be shipping soon.

Aside from the lousy rims, I love the bike, but would have been much smarter to order a Yampa frameset or gone with the HED upgrade. If I get a chance to run the TR Turnagains I will post a review.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGHORN LEW View Post
    I was most upset when I realized my echo turnagrin to a frown rims were not gonna play nicely tubless..
    Exactly! I am surprised a high end bike would come with rims that can't be easily made tubeless. i had my maiden voyage today on my Echo and it is a super sweet bike HOWEVER I got a flat from a thorn in my front tire (that I had to put a tube in) and my f'in tire started to FALL off the rim! Thank god I wasn't going down a technical downhill section or anything cause I could of gotten seriously injured. Why no bead lock on these things????

mtbr member
    ^ the newer rims are supposed to be tubeless, but for those with the older rims, it's a total suck. I just assumed that Borealis/ Turnagain was at the forefront on things, but not having tubeless compatible rims/ no bead lock is just lame-o.
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlh View Post
    The 24" Qtubes split tube over the rim strip seems to be the best solution. I've got 3,000 miles on this set up since my initial post, and while it is difficult to set up, it has been quite reliable at ultra low snow riding pressure. I put on my Bud & Lou a couple weeks ago, and they were much harder to install than the Dillinger 4s. It took me and four other guys at my local shop to each pull a section of the bead in place as one guy shot air in with the compressor. Plenty of Stans coating the bead helped quite a bit. I hate these rims for this reason, but they have been reliable.
    They stopped being reliable today. The rear went flat, put in my spare Q-DH tube, but to loose fit of the Lou at low pressure caused the tire to move around and shear off the stem of my only spare. Had a nice ride out on my rim, then hitchhiked back to town. My new wheels can't get here soon enough. Why in the hell are such great bicycles spec'd with such shitty wheels?

Laramie, Wyoming
    Well John, it's almost like this post has come full circle, one year later. Although I don't ever use mine any longer, they are still holding air. GORILLA tape and building up the bead shelf (A LOT) was the only thing that worked to my satisfaction.

And the guys at Borealis couldn't understand why I was as disappointed as I was, while waiting on my carbons.

I went up to the Snowies today and rode in very soft snow with temps near 50 degrees and very little air in the tires. I'm glad I'm not still riding those Turnagain rims.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I might just relace them with Clownshoes at this point. It's depressing just how heavy the Surly tube I just put in is.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast