mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Turnagain fr80 rims no go with offset.

I was going to build up a set of turnagain rims for my wife's new pugsley. It turns out that I can't use it for the rear because the spoke holes are offset 24mm from center. They are drilled with 64 holes so I would assume they expected to be used for an offset build. I checked on freespoke with a virtual build and they came up with about 27% spoke tension on the second set which is unusable. If anyone out there has a different experience I would like to hear what you did.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Are you sure you put your offset on the proper side and used 17.5mm for your hub with the freespoke program? When I was playing around with the idea of doing an offset clownshoe for my pug, the tension came out around 88% with a 20mm offset. I don't know what the ERD is for the Turnagain rim but something doesn't seem right if you are getting a 27% with a 24mm offset.

Sup
    I would 2 cross and use thinner spokes on the non drive side
    I wish I could give you a better answer but the number come out bad
    good luck
    I am slow therefore I am

Sup
    Quote Originally Posted by ntm1973 View Post
    Are you sure you put your offset on the proper side and used 17.5mm for your hub with the freespoke program? When I was playing around with the idea of doing an offset clownshoe for my pug, the tension came out around 88% with a 20mm offset. I don't know what the ERD is for the Turnagain rim but something doesn't seem right if you are getting a 27% with a 24mm offset.
    I think he is saying the spoke holes are 48mm apart .... double of what surly has
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Yes spoke holes 48mm apart, way too wide for pugsley offset.

Really I am that slow
    the spoke holes and erd are not that much different then a marge lite or rolling Darrel
    Read my BLOG!

Nipple twister and bike builder at Borealis

http://www.borealisbikes.com/

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    The spokes are offset twice as far from the center of the rim as a rolling Darrel. This puts the spoke holes about 15 mm from the outside edge of the rim. If you lace offset onto the right side spoke holes it leaves 65 mm of rim unsupported on the left side and rt side spokes almost straight down to the rim.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I do plan to use these for the front. I will lace then to a surly ultra new ( or is it ultra *****en) front 135mm hub. The wider offset of the spoke holes will lessen the bracing angle of the spokes but it will still be at an acceptable range.
    I like the idea of a bolt on front hub.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    mactweek,

If the spoke holes are 48mm apart then they are 24mm off center. When I plug that into freespoke with a 17.5mm offset shimano rear hub laced 24mm to the right, I ended up with:

Bracing angle rt 3.5 left 3.1
    Tension distribution rt 89% left100%

I used the same erd as a clownshoe. That looks like it would be a good build to me.

I'm not trying to be a smart*, just trying to understand what I am missing?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I wish I could get figures like those. I played around with different rims and offsets on freespoke and determined that they would work with with moonlander offset but not pugsley. I built up one on a Hope Fatsnow rear hub and it worked fine, So now I guess I can use my R.D. rim for the pugs.