Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    Fat & Single

Tubeless Tuesday.

All this chatter of tubeless and countless threads, i myself have had 3-4 attempts but never using the "build up the valley" method.

So the missus asked what i was doing today, i said "a bit of stuff outside" she said she would not be home all day and she would pick the kids up from school

Perfect opportunity for for Toobless Toosday.... though i didnt count on it taking me 5 hours.

Ok i used Laminate flooring underlay for the foam, its plastic backed and not the lightest but its a medium density foam. I measured the "valley" and cut it into strips progressively getting wider.

1 wrap around with gorilla tape, stretched and made sure it reached the bead.

Marge lites.
    Rimstrip = 45g
    Foam = 50g
    Tape = 45g
    So the rim strip stayed there meaning a 90g gain for losing a 220g Q-Tube superlite = -130g
    I have not added sealant to the Marge Lites yet as i will not be riding them until i have got the others sorted.

This is where i was gobsmacked, i fitted the tyre, gave them a quick once round with some soapy water, gave it 1-2 pumps with the track pump and the tyre move towards the bead and started bubbling

10-12 pumps later the first bead popped, then the second at about 15psi, i have pumped them to 20psi and they still seem like they are holding air with no sealant.

Awesome, cant believe how easy that was, most time was taken cutting foam. Thanks to all who have posted their tubeless conversions.... if you see some of you mod here, i probably copied you. Cheers
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Fat & Single
    Ok set number 2.

These have been a *****, i have tried these 3-4 times with no luck.Hopefully things have changed.
    These are 47mm Trialtech SL's. They already had a rimstrip weighing 55g as there was a full wrap of gorilla tape on them from the last unsucessful tubeless attempt.

I removed the old rimstrip and added the foam and new gorilla tape, total gained was 45g more from what they were, the original rimstrip could have been lighter but nevertheless 220g q-tube superlite minus 45g = 175g saved (rimstrip is additional 55g) per wheel. Both wheels have had 70ml of stans added.

First thing was to block the holes that would let the air escape into the rim and out the butted joint. Filled with epoxy metal putty and a smear of loctite on the joint.

Same as before, filled the valley with foam. Then taped up.

These went up with the same 1-2 pumps but did not pop onto the bead, thats why i will try and sort these out first as the other wheels are 100%. I cant burp the bead or let any air out until they are nearly flat but tonights ride will make things clearer. They are currently holding air (after stans blocked about 10 holes from thorns) at 10psi and i will drop that gradually down to about 7psi for testing purposes.

Hopefully all works well and they stay on the rims, cheers for tips

4 wheels now tubeless !!!!

Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

nothing to see here
    Nice work. Looking forward to the ride impressions.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Fat & Single
    Cheers Stevo, If i survive the run tonight i'll post how the Trialtechs go later, the Marge Lites are as good as perfect, the bead is solid on them.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Fat & Single
    Just did a 35km loop, wheels performed beautifully.

One thing that has surprised me, i usually ran these wheels/tyres at 9psi on dirt

I started the ride with 10psi in the tyres (digital gauge), i took the gauge with me to drop air out as i went.... wrong. I had to add a little bit making both tyres to 11psi to feel the same as they did previously with tubes fitted.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mighty sailin' man
    can you help with the weight argument and weigh a wheel (or the bike) before and after please
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

Fat & Single
    I have saved 260g on the Marge/Buds wheelset.

And 350g on the TrialTech/HuDu's wheelset. (sealant added after weigh in)

With the new 1080 cassette i weighed my bike in the high 24lbs today, the new "lite" HuDu's i just got are saving me 130g a tyre too, so when its gets the next weigh in i might have a surprise
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

addicted to chunk
    Nicely done! Enjoy alot less flats
    Riding.....

Fat & Single
    Cheers shark, Ive been tubeless for 5 years on other bikes, if i get anywhere near the result ive had with them i'll be super happy.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Great write up and nice images. I'm tubeless on my non drilled rolling Darryl's + nates. Just used gorilla tape and Stan's but no center filler. What is the reason needed for the center foam? She's on marge lites and will soon be running Dillingers ...I'd like to make this tubeless for her.
    Thanks again.

Smash Mode: ON
    So if I read that right you didn't put any tape under the foam, just over it? And the 'contact patch' between the rim and tape is more or less just the bead shelf??
    Whatever floats your bike, dude

Vagician
    Very nice and thurough.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Mustangs View Post
    So if I read that right you didn't put any tape under the foam, just over it? And the 'contact patch' between the rim and tape is more or less just the bead shelf??
    correct. all i did was do three layers of gorilla tape (left/right/center), melt the valve hole out w a soldering iron and put air in w a compressor. providing that seals up ok i then take out the valve core and huck some stans in and shake.
    so far its worked flawlessly on 3 efforts on rolling darryls W/O cutouts.

Nemophilist
    Hey;

SUPERB, clear, concise write-up with great images, Ozz. Not the first, but likely the best!

-
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    Hey;

SUPERB, clear, concise write-up with great images, Ozz. Not the first, but likely the best!

-
    yup by far the ozzyiest (just made that up ) if i understand the 1st post correctly regarding the absence of a tube it requires more air volume to match a tubed setup in order to have the same ride feel yes??

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I post this in the other thread but i think its very important to inspect the bead of the tire for any inperfections and remove them with sand paper or if you are careful a die grinder. I found that out the hard way after I had leaks on a spilt tube method.

Nemophilist
    Quote Originally Posted by exp18 View Post
    I post this in the other thread but i think its very important to inspect the bead of the tire for any inperfections and remove them with sand paper or if you are careful a die grinder. I found that out the hard way after I had leaks on a spilt tube method.
    Very True...

Of ALL of the the surfaces involved. Car race tires are the same way. The beads are so stiff and with little extra rubber to absorb junk, that if anything gets in there (casting flashing, bead bits, little stones, rim corrosion or nicks, whatever) it will leak, and race tires already leak like crazy anyway. Flat every morning, sometimes, if you don't pay close attention when mounting them.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Ok set number 2.

These have been a *****, i have tried these 3-4 times with no luck.Hopefully things have changed.
    These are 47mm Trialtech SL's. They already had a rimstrip weighing 55g as there was a full wrap of gorilla tape on them from the last unsucessful tubeless attempt.

I removed the old rimstrip and added the foam and new gorilla tape, total gained was 45g more from what they were, the original rimstrip could have been lighter but nevertheless 220g q-tube superlite minus 45g = 175g saved (rimstrip is additional 55g) per wheel. Both wheels have had 70ml of stans added.

First thing was to block the holes that would let the air escape into the rim and out the butted joint. Filled with epoxy metal putty and a smear of loctite on the joint.

Same as before, filled the valley with foam. Then taped up.

These went up with the same 1-2 pumps but did not pop onto the bead, thats why i will try and sort these out first as the other wheels are 100%. I cant burp the bead or let any air out until they are nearly flat but tonights ride will make things clearer. They are currently holding air (after stans blocked about 10 holes from thorns) at 10psi and i will drop that gradually down to about 7psi for testing purposes.

Hopefully all works well and they stay on the rims, cheers for tips

4 wheels now tubeless !!!!

Nice work dude!! Persistence pays! You will absolutely love riding tubeless on your fatbike. I think the benefits are totally magnified by the big wheels... Especially the aspect of rolling resistance. You will feel it immediately.

Let us know how it goes!

Cheers,
    MG

i heart singletrack
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Just did a 35km loop, wheels performed beautifully.

One thing that has surprised me, i usually ran these wheels/tyres at 9psi on dirt

I started the ride with 10psi in the tyres (digital gauge), i took the gauge with me to drop air out as i went.... wrong. I had to add a little bit making both tyres to 11psi to feel the same as they did previously with tubes fitted.
    You'll likely start to get a feel for the fact that you can go lower and lower with your pressure as your confidence in the tubeless setup grows. You'll start to understand that feeling the rim gently tapping the ground every once and a while isn't the worst thing in the world when you're running tubeless (unless you're riding in really rocky terrain).

mtbr member
    Does this method work for folding bead tires or only wire bead?
    Disclaimer: I own a bike shop

Dubz bikes and boards
    Oxford, Michigan
    248-969-5986

www.dubzbikesandboards.com

mtbr member
    May 2012
    thanks for the post..

I've got Large Marge Rims and the 27tpi Larry and Endos.. would these combinations be tubeless compatible? What's the process?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    "Just used gorilla tape and Stan's but no center filler. What is the reason needed for the center foam?"

I was wondering the same?? What is the purpose of the filler, center foam or any foam at all?? Seems like you could just use the existing rim strip or no rim strip and just run 3 strips of gorilla tape around rim carefully covering up to bead edge on rim as pictured in this thread and be done?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruitr1 View Post
    "Just used gorilla tape and Stan's but no center filler. What is the reason needed for the center foam?"

I was wondering the same?? What is the purpose of the filler, center foam or any foam at all?? Seems like you could just use the existing rim strip or no rim strip and just run 3 strips of gorilla tape around rim carefully covering up to bead edge on rim as pictured in this thread and be done?
    As far as I understand it, the foam really just helps with mounting and first taking air. Without the foam, there would be too much room for air to escape between the tire and rim when first airing up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Seriously, all that work for 1/2 lbs? I just don't get it.

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by rivrmutt View Post
    Seriously, all that work for 1/2 lbs? I just don't get it.
    Loosing the weight is is very nice side-effect but the whole concept of tubeless is puncture and pinch flat elimination and also ride quality.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast