Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Jammin' Econo
    After years of stubbornly sticking to my guns on the tape method, I went out to the garage this afternoon and found the rear wheel that I'm planning on using for the Fat Pursuit this weekend was completely flat. "No prob," I thought, "it's been a while since I've topped off the Stan's in that wheel. I'll just squirt a couple ounces in there and pump it back and go for a ride."

Which I did, and then upon pumping it back up, I hear air and see Stan's coming out of several of the rim cutouts, through the sides of the rim strip. ****. Nothing to do at that point but strip the whole wheel down again, clean it really well, and start a fresh tape job (the current tape job lasted a year on this particular wheel). Except I don't have a ton of time for that particular project right now.

And then I remembered I had mistakenly bought a 24" x 2.7" Q-tube that I needed to return to the shop, and I thought...hmmm.....maybe I should give the split tube method a try.

Piece of cake - way faster than going through the whole tape process and it sealed up on the first try. I think I may be converted....
    “I dream of a day when my children will live in a world without the shackles of cause and effect.” - S. Colbert

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Just tried the fatty stripper setup with Vanhelgas and surly rolling Daryl rims. Hope it works as well as advertised. I will be trying it out tomorrow. I had an issue with burping when I tried just tape.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Having trouble setting the bead on my Kendra Juggernauts. Using taped rolling daryls and a compressor but the bead won't budge. Any suggestions to try?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I had to put a tube in my rolling darryls and set both beads. Then I broke one bead, pulled the tube out, and installed the new valve stem. Then hold the wheel sideways with the broken bead side down, and you can inflate it with a hand pump. I tried a lot of other ways, but it never worked.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    First ride with the fatty stripper setup tonight. I ran at 7lbs due to packed trails. No burping. I will see how low I can go before they burp.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Converted my Large Marge for Minion 4.8's, used Stans valves and sealant.

I honestly can't stand cutouts, but it is what it is, so off to Joann's Fabrics for some durable Offray Ribbon, 1.5", then to Home Depot for a roll of Versa Tape, 3".

The Offray 1.5" ribbon covers the holes nicely, it's durable nylon used for crafts , and there are lots of color choices; I got purple.

The Versa tape is rubberized, stretchy, water proof, and moldable, designed for sealing membranes in shower pans, pulled tight, it molds to the rim, with 5mm overlap to either side, a little razor knife trim and it's solid. I cut it back so that it was covering the rim hook.

Sealed up with a little help from a compressor, seated well with 25psi, no leaks, held great on today's ride, down to 4psi.

and it ain't even Tuesday

Tubeless Tuesday.-2016-12-27-19.44.18.jpg

Tubeless Tuesday.-2016-12-27-19.43.58.jpg
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 12-27-2016 at 07:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just went tubeless on my Farley with the Barbegazi / Mulefut 80 combo using Stans valves & sealant, Sun Ringle tape and Surly rim strips in orange. It all went together perfectly and I've had zero issues so far after 3 long-ish rides.
    Tubeless Tuesday.-5yvkhqk.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by grizwold View Post
    Having trouble setting the bead on my Kendra Juggernauts. Using taped rolling daryls and a compressor but the bead won't budge. Any suggestions to try?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Use a cam strap to compress the tire center, which pushes the beads to the rim shelf.

Compressor to inglate, then deflate and add sealant with a syringe through the valve. Reinflate and go ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Halp! working on going tubeless and I can't get the tire to go above 10 psi with out it leaking (orange seal)around the entire one side of the bead seat. The other side is totally clean with no leaks. thinking maybe the bead is not seated (even though it is indicated by the little line) and I need to get more air in there faster with a compressor, just need to hook it up to the adapter.

Setup is old darryl orange seal tape and non TLR dillinger 4's. I taped up on to the bead seat too for a tighter interface.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Set tape
    Install tube overnight at 20psi
    Break bead on 1 side of tire
    Remove tube
    Set bead (with soapy water as necessary)
    Insert sealant
    Ride immediately

If not riding immediately, hold off on sealant, as it won't work it's way around the bead and the tire will leak down. This may be part of the problem. Just spinning the tire doesn't get it everywhere it needs to be IME.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    positive update! update.

got the compressor hooked up to it and jacked it up to 30-35 psi and it leaked around the other bead as well and then stopped shortly after and its holding strong at ~30 psi with no bubbles!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I've been using stretch wrap from home depot.
    Wrap rim, install valve, install tire and inflate with floor pump.
    Takes about 10 minutes a wheel.
    I have the sun tape and rim strips on order but for now this works very well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    so i woke up this morning the the back tire is low and the front is just completely zero pressure. I tested the beads on both and the front broke quite easily while the rear held up so I didn't push it to hard. Gonna try again today I guess and take it for a ride this time.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Bain View Post
    so i woke up this morning the the back tire is low and the front is just completely zero pressure. I tested the beads on both and the front broke quite easily while the rear held up so I didn't push it to hard. Gonna try again today I guess and take it for a ride this time.
    Always take for a ride after putting sealant in. It won't work to all the nooks and crannies of the bead otherwise.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    tried it again and the tape seems to have failed due to sealant leaking through the tape somewhere as it was leaking profusely through the cutouts not impressed with the orange seal tape usability. Just went out and bought clear gorilla tape.

Bikes with dogs

FattyStripper = TheraBand?

FattyStripper is out of stock on their normal bands till mid-February.

But in doing a bit of guesswork, I'm theorizing that Thera-Band latex exercise resistance bands are the exact stuff they're using to make their strips, or they're using the same supplier. Am I right about this? The bands come 6" (150mm!) wide -- the exact width of a standard FattyStripper. The only previous hits in a search for Thera-Band on MTBR are about people doing PT on their elbows and such like -- nothing about tubeless. But if my calculations are correct, one should be able to get at least 3 strips to stretch to a 26" rim out of the 6 yard box for $14 or 25 strips out of the 50 yard box for $115. Just gotta unroll the box and glue or weld the seam to your length of choice. Should I assume the "red/medium" is the exact same thickness that FattyStripper is using? Is there an advantage to going thinner or thicker?

Tubeless Tuesday.-s-l1600.jpg
    Tubeless Tuesday.-a7514ed0527e83448b71381fe09f619f.jpg
    Last edited by pocky; 01-30-2017 at 01:38 AM. Reason: added images

mtbr member
    tried it again and the tape seems to have failed due to sealant leaking through the tape somewhere as it was leaking profusely through the cutouts not impressed with the orange seal tape usability. Just went out and bought clear gorilla tape.
    Next time try Zip flashing tape. It is pliable and stretches nicely to conform to the rim contours.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pocky View Post
    FattyStripper is out of stock on their normal bands till mid-February.

But in doing a bit of guesswork, I'm theorizing that Thera-Band latex exercise resistance bands are the exact stuff they're using to make their strips, or they're using the same supplier. Am I right about this? The bands come 6" (150mm!) wide -- the exact width of a standard FattyStripper. The only previous hits in a search for Thera-Band on MTBR are about people doing PT on their elbows and such like -- nothing about tubeless. But if my calculations are correct, one should be able to get at least 3 strips to stretch to a 26" rim out of the 6 yard box for $14 or 25 strips out of the 50 yard box for $115. Just gotta unroll the box and glue or weld the seam to your length of choice. Should I assume the "red/medium" is the exact same thickness that FattyStripper is using? Is there an advantage to going thinner or thicker?
    A 24" x 2.25-2.75 Q-Tube set up split tube works better IME than Fatty Strippers. Advantages I have found:

1.) chance of leaking between the stem and stripper is eliminated.
    2.) I had better luck with reuse
    3.) It is way easier to trim excess.
    4.) excess is black so it is not noticeable.
    5.) Cost was better at ~$6/tube which includes stem with removable core.

Bikes with dogs
    But $6 per tube is the exact same cost as FattyStripper anyway at $12 for a pair, assuming you're just using valves that you just cut out of old tubes for free.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-01-30 at 10.05.08 AM.png
Views: 657
Size:  54.0 KB

Anyway, the main point of FattyStripper as my friends have been using it (and I've been planning to use it) is not to be the lightest possible setup (which it probably is, except for stretch wrap), but rather to make the seal on poor tire/rim combinations easy to do in the first place, and to prevent burping altogether. The latex is supposed to bond to the tire and not to the rim, so you're essentially turning the tire into a tubular that will not burp even if you roll the tire bead off the rim altogether, and will even stay on the tire when you change tires.

Question 4 and 5 in the FAQ: FattyStripper & SkinnyStripper Tubeless FAQs

mtbr member
    But $6 per tube is the exact same cost as FattyStripper anyway at $12 for a pair, assuming you're just using valves that you just cut out of old tubes for free.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-01-30 at 10.05.08 AM.png
Views: 657
Size:  54.0 KB

Anyway, the main point of FattyStripper as my friends have been using it (and I've been planning to use it) is not to be the lightest possible setup (which it probably is, except for stretch wrap), but rather to make the seal on poor tire/rim combinations easy to do in the first place, and to prevent burping altogether. The latex is supposed to bond to the tire and not to the rim, so you're essentially turning the tire into a tubular that will not burp even if you roll the tire bead off the rim altogether, and will even stay on the tire when you change tires.
    The key will be them staying glued to the tire and the seal between the stem than the thin stripper holding during removal. They may have had a price drop since I purchased them. I thought I had paid $16, but perhaps that included the foam backer rod.

My biggest frustration with them was trying to trim the excess without slicing the sidewall. Even with a new razor blade they were tough to cut.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Maybe you don't need to glue or weld. Looks like you can just get the loops!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tubeless Tuesday.-capture.jpg  

Bikes with dogs
    Oh, wow, that would be perfect. But I assume 18 inch "lay flat length" means 36 inch circumference. Is that enough to stretch around a 26" rim? Based on the installation video on their web site, it looks like the strips are considerably longer than 26 inches lay flat, since the strip hangs lower than the diameter of the wheel.

I was assuming length should be π*d for d=24" since we'd otherwise be going for a 24" split tube, so we're looking at around 75" of unstretched FattyStrip, aren't we? But latex is pretty stretchy. So even if we assume the equivalent of a 20" split tube, we're still talking about 63" of circumference, and it does look from that video like the fattystripper is hanging about 30" down, doubled.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I know it's Wednesday but I did do this last night on Tuesday and wanted to share my very novice experience with going tubeless. To start, I have a Scott Bid Ed with the standard Scott Syncro stuff including the wheels which are not tubeless ready. After much research here, I decided to try the split tube method. I bought a couple of Q-tube 24" 2.1-2.3" tubes and a bottle of Orange seal and using new JJ 4.4 Snakeskins.

Prepped the wheels just by washing them lightly with a bit of dish soap and water. Installed the inner tube and pumped it up to stretch the tube and made sure it was centered and the seam was at the top of the tube to guide where to split it. Using an exacto knife I started to cut on the seam carefully. A little tension by pulling on the tube made this go easy and smooth. Once the tube was split, I did clean out the talc inside just by using a rag and water. Then I put the tire on the rim and made sure the edges of the tube were centered and equal amounts showing over the shoulder of the rim. Placed a little soapy water using my finger along the edges of the tube to allow the tire to move easier and set up. Using a compressor, at about 20 lbs the tire popped into place on the first try! Using the exacto knife, I trimmed the excess tube from the sides by pulling on it and cutting. I was able to get a clean and even cut with only about .25 inch showing which you cannot see since it is black.

At this point the tires have been sitting and holding pressure and I have not even put any Orange seal in! This was so easy and worthwhile and took me about 20 minutes total for the first tire and about 10 minutes for the second.

Total weigh savings were pretty good as well:

Old tires 4.5" Kenda Juggernaut Sport 1514 grams or 3.33 lbs
    Old tubes 26X3.8/5.0 451 grams or 15.9 oz
    Total 1965 grams or 4.33 lbs

New tires 4.4" JJ Snakeskins 1227 grams or 2.7 lbs
    New tubes Q-tubes 24X2.1/2.4 192 grams or 6.9 oz (less 25 grams from final trimming)
    Total 1394 grams or 3.07 lbs

That's a whopping 571 grams or 1.26 lbs from 1 wheel on my setup if my math is correct!!!!!

I do expect to put 3-4 ounces of Orange seal so then the weight savings would be closer to 1 lb per wheel but I think that is pretty darn good. Overall this was a good learning experience and I encourage anyone to try this method. It was easy and clean and worked like a charm (for my set up anyway).

That's it, just wanted to share my experience.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    so it tried it with clear gorilla tape and that tape held for 10 mins and went to hell after. Upon teardown found the tape had failed as I had to double wrap it. Gonna try again this time with leaving the tube and tire on at 20 psi overnight and since I ran out of orange tape I'm using some of both tapes! I think Im getting close to $100.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    A 24" x 2.25-2.75 Q-Tube set up split tube works better IME than Fatty Strippers. Advantages I have found:

I bought an ICT and picked it up last week. I asked my LBS to setup tubeless and this is the method they used. They said with tape they've seen people poke at rim and break the tape loose. With the 24" inner tube cut open it eliminates this. I've ridden it 5 times and haven't put any air in since I picked it up. So far so good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MioFatbike View Post
    After much research here, I decided to try the split tube method. I bought a couple of Q-tube 24" 2.1-2.3" tubes...Using the exacto knife, I trimmed the excess tube from the sides by pulling on it and cutting. I was able to get a clean and even cut with only about .25 inch showing which you cannot see since it is black.
    Anyone used 24" x 2.1-2.3" split tubes for going tubeless on Rolling Daryl's? I ask because my shop has the 24" x 2.1-2.3" tubes in stock but they would have to order the 2.4-2.75" tubes. They also said that the 2.4-2.75 were $7 more per tube than the 2.1-2.3" tubes.

mtbr member
    Oh, wow, that would be perfect. But I assume 18 inch "lay flat length" means 36 inch circumference. Is that enough to stretch around a 26" rim?
    I just measure the length of the clown shoe rim strip I use on my Marge lite rims and it's 780mm (just over 30") when laid out flat. I'd guess you'd need about the same length in Theraband.

Tim

Jammin' Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post

This, to which I would add:

6.) Way quicker and easier, ime, to set up than dickin' around with tape, foam, whatever.
    7.) See #1 again. And not only is it eliminated at the stem - if you do it properly, it is eliminated everywhere. You've essentially created a vulcanized seal from bead to bead, with an integrated stem.

After trying a variety of different approaches, I really see no advantage to messing around with any other methods anymore. At least for rims/tires that aren't truly tubeless ready.
    “I dream of a day when my children will live in a world without the shackles of cause and effect.” - S. Colbert

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    so it tried it with clear gorilla tape and that tape held for 10 mins and went to hell after. Upon teardown found the tape had failed as I had to double wrap it. Gonna try again this time with leaving the tube and tire on at 20 psi overnight and since I ran out of orange tape I'm using some of both tapes! I think Im getting close to $100.
    I guess no amount of typing and posting about what actually works will help some people.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Split. Tube. Method.
    Cost = $6 per wheel
    Time = 10 min per wheel
    Results = It freaking works!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Since Tesa 4289 proved to be a stiff nightmare on my Nextie rims with their "valley" .. at least in the probably too broad 50mm version, I decided to just cut out small pieces and cover the spokeholes that way ... then protected the whole thing with one full circle of Kerbl silotape ... looks a bit weird:

Tubeless Tuesday.-schnipsel.jpg

Sealed completely shut on first try, though, with the Snowshoe XLs I got on ... which sit real tight in the rims. Added some 60 ml of Bontrager TLR sealant and not even a molecule seemed to leak anywhere .. thing is just rocksolid atm. I hope it stays that way It's been keeping its air pressure since a week, tho.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Just a FYI, Tyvek Tape on 65mm rims, 1 pass, weighs 6g. I use two passes for my 90mm rims, so that would be 12g.Tubeless Tuesday.-16832389_10101056016346968_816478383181178031_n.jpg

Jammin' Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Just a FYI, Tyvek Tape on 65mm rims, 1 pass, weighs 6g. I use two passes for my 90mm rims, so that would be 12g.
    Are they tubeless ready rims? If so, then that's all I do as well.

Doesn't look like they have cutouts - that can make a big difference with the longevity/integrity of tape solutions over time. But for some, longevity of the setup is important, for others that change tires frequently, maybe not so much.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    Are they tubeless ready rims? If so, then that's all I do as well.

Doesn't look like they have cutouts - that can make a big difference with the longevity/integrity of tape solutions over time. But for some, longevity of the setup is important, for others that change tires frequently, maybe not so much.
    They are light bicycle, and I find them and the nexties are about as "tubeless" as you can get, save for the ridiculous no-nipple-hole rims. Some people report issues with certain tires on other rims that on these, are just like a match made in heaven.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Going to try the stretch wrap on my darryls. My tape jobs keep failing maybe cause I have 1.5" holes in my rims and it moves the tape too much.

The rear is still holding though even though i set it up without the overnight method orange seal.

Update Stretch wrap is the bees knees!! not sure If i even needed sealant even with with both non-tubeless components!!! Well maybe around the valve stem.
    Last edited by Nick Bain; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:08 AM. Reason: UPDATE

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Found some new tape at Lowe's, chanced upon it in the mobile home repair section. It's designed for wrapping pipes, it's heat and cold resistant, water proof, slightly atretchy, 10mm thick, very tough, and only $5 a roll.

I unrolled 80", cut it down the middle with scissors. I used it to replace some crappy leaking 25mm Stans tape on my son's 29er. Tubelees went up easy, no leaks, no fuss, could be a winner if it lasts. A 100' roll will do fourteen fat rims or twenty eight skinny rims.

Tubeless Tuesday.-2017-03-11-12.12.34.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit21 View Post
    I guess no amount of typing and posting about what actually works will help some people.
    I guess being a dick for no reason has not gone out of style.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I guess being a dick for no reason has not gone out of style.
    Looks like someone is sore because they realized a negative rep point can be returned in kind. Careful - you'll be in the red before you know it.

Next time just take the time to read the info that we took the time to type - to help you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Looks like someone is sore because they realized a negative rep point can be returned in kind. Careful - you'll be in the red before you know it.

Next time just take the time to read the info that we took the time to type - to help you.
    YOUR comments were of no help.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    That's where reading the thread comes in handy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Update on the Christy's pipe wrap tape:

Holding strong, no loss of pressure, too bad they don't make it in different widths, but 2" is a good all around width.

The price is really good, $5 for 100'.

I'll never buy Stan's again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Has anyone ever tried painting a rim with plasticoat? Obviously this would be unlikely to work on rims with cutouts...

EDIT: HEY YOU TWO, KNOCK OFF THE ********, TAKE IT OFFLINE, YOU'RE FING UP A THREAD THAT HAS PERSISTED FOR A LONG TIME WITHOUT THIS SORT OF ASSHAT BEHAVIOR.
    Last edited by Nurse Ben; 1 Week Ago at 07:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    That's where reading the thread comes in handy.
    get a life

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    get a life
    Tubeless Tuesday.-2z2ceed.jpg

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920