Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    Vagician
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Loosing the weight is is very nice side-effect but the whole concept of tubeless is puncture and pinch flat elimination and also ride quality.
    Agreed.

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by DubzOxford View Post
    Does this method work for folding bead tires or only wire bead?
    Both sets i used are folding beads.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Mustangs View Post
    So if I read that right you didn't put any tape under the foam, just over it? And the 'contact patch' between the rim and tape is more or less just the bead shelf??
    The Marge lites have a small line of tape on either side holding the clear sparkly polythene rimstrip in place but in short the answer is yes, both wheels have the gorilla tape stretch fitted the full width and its only contacting the bead shelf
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by easterntide View Post
    What is the reason needed for the center foam?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruitr1 View Post
    What is the purpose of the filler, center foam or any foam at all?? Seems like you could just use the existing rim strip or no rim strip and just run 3 strips of gorilla tape around rim carefully covering up to bead edge on rim as pictured in this thread and be done?
    I did this way because it worked successfully on other members here, theres plenty of other threads already posted that i copied to do these. It made sense and i could see exactly what advantage it would give but i am still shocked at the ease they inflated, 1-2 pumps and the tyre bead was touching the rim bead

The main reason is fat tyres are super "baggy" and actually fall off the rim, no tyre levers needed with these getting the tyre bead up on or near the rim bead to start building pressure is the harderst part and the foam does this for you.

Filling the "valley" with foam stops the bead falling into the valley and forces a tighter fit so once you start inflating, the bead has already got a semi-seal on the built up foam and the slighest bit of pressure and its moving towards the bead ready to seal. Trying to inflate them without this foam is a painful job, the tyres can be easily changed out and inflated again tubeless with a track pump.

Non of the fat tyres are meant to be inflated tubeless and the QC on them doesnt seem flash, also apart from UMA rims i dont think there is any that are meant to be used for tubeless either.

There loads of different ways of doing this and doing it without foam might be as easy for you with you tyre/rim combo. I have tried a few times with the Trialtech/HuDu and also on my GFS/larry-endos without success, now this time the foam has made all the difference.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    May 2012
    What did you use as valve if no split tube? Thanks

middle ring single track
    I did this way because it worked successfully on other members here, theres plenty of other threads already posted that i copied to do these. It made sense and i could see exactly what advantage it would give but i am still shocked at the ease they inflated, 1-2 pumps and the tyre bead was touching the rim bead

The main reason is fat tyres are super "baggy" and actually fall off the rim, no tyre levers needed with these getting the tyre bead up on or near the rim bead to start building pressure is the harderst part and the foam does this for you.

Filling the "valley" with foam stops the bead falling into the valley and forces a tighter fit so once you start inflating, the bead has already got a semi-seal on the built up foam and the slighest bit of pressure and its moving towards the bead ready to seal. Trying to inflate them without this foam is a painful job, the tyres can be easily changed out and inflated again tubeless with a track pump.

Non of the fat tyres are meant to be inflated tubeless and the QC on them doesnt seem flash, also apart from UMA rims i dont think there is any that are meant to be used for tubeless either.

There loads of different ways of doing this and doing it without foam might be as easy for you with you tyre/rim combo. I have tried a few times with the Trialtech/HuDu and also on my GFS/larry-endos without success, now this time the foam has made all the difference.
    Great thread on your technique; well executed---I'd try it but I seem to be getting by OK ghetto-style w/o the foam. It might be worth mentioning that when using this method to be sure to use "closed-cell" foam; there are "open-cell" weather-stripping tapes and they'd act just like a sponge if the wheel was immersed---talk about heavy!
    The views and opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent any policy of the CA Dept. of Parks & Rec.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks Ozzy for posting your efforts.

Well explained and must say the lighting really shows off your handy work; (by design?...or luck?)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by boogman View Post
    What did you use as valve if no split tube? Thanks
    I don't think he is using a valve as that's not accounted for in the weight

Fat & Single
    No way, 10g valves are too heavy

For the two sets of wheels i used 3 proper tubeless valves and 1 made from a tube.

If you have old tubes with valves that have removable cores just cut round the valve and leave a 10mm circle all around, its just as good bought valves and in a lot of cases cheaper too as the valves are about $10 each .
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by Sand Rat View Post
    the lighting really shows off your handy work; (by design?...or luck?)
    It was stinking hot outside, just lucky lighting as i did all the taping inside in aircon'd comfort.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Nice work!

So now, just to play devils advocate for a moment, why Gorilla tape as opposed to split tube?

I love G tape (the most badass duct tape ever made!), but it is heavy as far as duct tape goes, nice and dense, but heavy. Yeah, not *that* heavy, okay, relax out there...

The reason I like the split tube is the extra room it takes up and the bead socket, as well as the extra sealing around the bead. Also makes you not have to go around and seal all the tiny drain holes in the rim.

Sure, the sealant takes care of the sealing, but if it has help, it'd seem to be a good thing.

Think bead socket room reduction ala Stan's rims with their BST, mixed with the butyl wrapped beads on the current crop of "tubeless ready" tires, and you can see what my thrust here is.

I also have a theory working off of Mikesee's issues with thinking the beads are slipping under heavy load/low pressures, that the butyl wrap on the bead will help hold it more tightly than just the aluminum rim.

All good, just discussing relative merits and potential downfalls/benefits of both concepts.

Happy Saturday!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Fat & Single
    Ive always been tubeless with tape and valves, and the foam in the middle make its easy to inflate with a floor pump. Tyres are easily changed and on the off chance of a puncture that doesnt seal up its as simple as removing the valve and put a tube in.
    The main reason to tape it up is holding the foam in place, if i was running a split tube i would still have to have some kind of tape for the foam, it might as well be gorilla tape and forget the tube.

No tube hanging out the side of the tyre would make it a neater looking job too i would think.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    My Surly Cycling cap is off to those of you that were able to make your Holy Rolling Darryl’s tubeless. I thought about going tubeless since day one when I got my Neco. I scanned the pages of the fat bike forum looking for suggestions and final decided to make the plunge this morning. I grabbed a roll of Gorilla tape, a set of Stans tubeless valves, some foam to fill the valley, and started off on my unknown venture. Everything went just as planned, I put the final strip of tape across the rim, put my valve in, mounted my 120tpi Knard and to the compressor I went. I attempted to fill the tire with absolutely no luck. No matter what I did I could not get the tire to fill with air. In frustration and lack of time, I removed all the items that created my useless Tubeless system. The ball of tape, foam and valve that I had in my hand felt rather heavy. For grins I took out my scale and weighed the mess. 200 grams on the noise. With the 265 gram tubes in which I was going to replace, I decided to hold off on another attempt to go tubeless.
    Until I can figure out my mistake, I will live with the 130 gram combined difference.
    Disclaimer: I own a bike shop

Dubz bikes and boards
    Oxford, Michigan
    248-969-5986

www.dubzbikesandboards.com

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Ive always been tubeless with tape and valves, and the foam in the middle make its easy to inflate with a floor pump. Tyres are easily changed and on the off chance of a puncture that doesnt seal up its as simple as removing the valve and put a tube in.
    The main reason to tape it up is holding the foam in place, if i was running a split tube i would still have to have some kind of tape for the foam, it might as well be gorilla tape and forget the tube.

No tube hanging out the side of the tyre would make it a neater looking job too i would think.
    Both systems work, all good there.

Just fyi, no need for taping the foam with split tube though. Rim strip, foam, split tube, roll it.

Nice sharp razor, and I get a nice clean cut, right next to the tire. Can't even tell it's there.

Regardless, I do love tubeless.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    I'm waiting to hear back from Eclipse about whether they can make a fat tube.

As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    I'm waiting to hear back from Eclipse about whether they can make a fat tube.
    $100 tube ha

mighty sailin' man
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike View Post
    $100 tube ha
    people have said that about tires. Now, to us, a $100 tire is cheap
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    people have said that about tires. Now, to us, a $100 tire is cheap
    Slightly different, let me know when you find a $10-15 fat bike tire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike View Post
    $100 tube ha
    I'll be lugging my bike up and down a mountain for 24 hours in January. Come the 23rd hour, I'd happily pay more than that to lose well over 1 lb from my bike.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Ozzy, followed your method for setting up my Marge Lites tubeless today. (27tpi Larry front, 27tpi Endo rear). Worked well from what I can tell. Haven't had a chance to ride it yet though.

I am glad the previous owner of my house left a roll of laminate flooring foam. Finally found a use for it

Thanks a ton!!!

Decorative duct tape for a "rim strip" on my setup...figured why not.

Last edited by sickmtbnutcase; 12-08-2012 at 05:24 PM.

Fat & Single
    Nice one !!! Well that's made the write up worthwhile already. So it's worked on wire bead tyres too then
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Fat & Single
    After spiking one tyre with a stick and when i went to put a tube in it i seen that the pressure has collapsed my foam i decided to try something different.

Gorilla tape weighs a bit and its very messy leaving glue stuck everywhere.

So i got 2 x 55m rolls of 3M Tensalized packing tape, basically wide stans tape.

Also got some non-memory foam so it would not compact under pressure.

To make it worthwhile and make sure it wasnt making the combo heavier i weighed each stage.

Wheel as is with only gorilla rim tape and clear plastic was 1820g

Rim tape removed, 1745g meaning my rim tape was 75g.... which was a bit surprising.

New Vinyl rim tape installed and 1 wrap of 3M tape was 1795g, meaning my new vinyl tape is 50g per wheel.

Blue 3M tape covers the vinyl 100% so its airtight.

New non-memory foam fitted, 1845g.

Taped right up and over the sides.

Trimmed back tight to the bead with a sharp knife and excess removed.

View of finish taping job, im excited as its turned out as i expected
    When the tyre pops on the bead the tape will be locked behind it similar to ghetto tubeless meaning the sealant or air cant escape down beside the tape.

Total weight of 3 wraps of tape was 10g, bringing the total weight to 1855g meaning that the TOTAL tubeless conversion including the heavy vinyl rimstrip was 110g. The rimstrip could be done with the 3M blue tape for under 10g if you like blue as a colour.... so a 70g conversion is possible.
    Q-tube SL still weighs 220g, my new tubeless is 110g with this light tape.

Conversion was easy, the longest time taken was cleaning the residual gorilla tape off... took about 1 hour of hard labour

End result, 2 pumps with the track pump and the tyre was at the bead, at approx 13psi the first bead popped and around 15psi the other went on.

Hopefully this is it dialled now.

Happy Toobless.

Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Nice work Ozzy. Where would I buy some of that 3M tape... and what do I ask for?
    Cheers
    FatMuz

Fat & Single
    Muzz, i searched all over for it, the US has it in loads of sizes including 72mm but the postage from RS Hughes in the US was $120 for 2 rolls of tape

Element14 here in Oz does the 48mm and thats the only place i could find it here. They do free shipping on orders over $45 so i got 2 rolls and stuck 4 x $1.75 tape measures (can never find one in my house) on just to bump it over the freebie postage price.

cheers.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

29er
    Apr 2010
    Look forward to hearing how this new tape holds up over time

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Maybe I missed it but how much Stan's are you using?

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast