mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Tubeless with SUNringlé Mulefüt rims and Barbegazi tires -please help!!!!

I've researched the spilt tube method, however it appears these methods were used for older tires and rims that aren't "tubeless ready", now trek says this set up is tubeless ready. I installed the stans valves, and that was it, tires held nicely, even worked fine for first winter ride, temps were in the 20's. Today I rode in -5 degree temps, and the stans immediately leaked from the cut outs in the rims, tires went flat in minutes. What is my best approach to setting these up for winter riding tubeless? No one I ride with runs tubeless, so I'm kinda on my own here. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I have searched the forums, but I'm specifically looking for a fix to my set-up. Thanks!

mtbr member
    This is well documented. You need to buy the rim tape from sun ringle (or other 78mm wide tape) and add that to the rim bed over the rim strip. Reinstall the tire and add sealant and you'll be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    -img_1670.jpg

This is what I have, I had the local LBS set this up, did they miss a step?

mtbr member
    Yes - they completely missed the most important and completely critical step, pretty much the one thing around which the entire tubeless system works. There needs to be a wrap of Mulefut specific tubeless tape applied OVER the rim strip, and before the valve core goes in. If your LBS charged you for a tubeless setup, then you are entitled to all your money back, including the cost of sealant and their labor. Read this thread and you'll see what I'm referring to.
    My tubeless conversion experience Mule FUT with Maxxis Mammoth

I'd find a different LBS - the guys you went to are completely ignorant as far as fat bike tubeless goes. I'm amazed you got in even one ride.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    BTW, these rims are very easy to set up tubeless and very reliable once they're set up.

There are several ways to do this. I used the OEM SR tape:
    Sun Ringle Tubeless Conversion Tape | Chain Reaction Cycles

You need the 10 meters of the 78MM as the previous poster said. That's enough to do 4 wheels.

I also recommend the Sun Ringle rim strips, which are thinner gauge than most stock rim strips and a bit narrower to give more rim for the tape to adhere to:
    https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=69721
    You need two of the 60mm wide strips.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    As others have posted follow the links:
    - SR rim strips (firmer and narrower than surly)
    - SR tape
    - optional, you can seat tape n setup tire with a tube overnight at 20psi.
    - hard to remove beads from rim channel, i left 1 or 2psi in n stepped on bead or you can use clamps to pop off bead. You won't be able to use only your hands.
    - remove tube n put in tubeless valves, ur choice. I have to run a spacer under nut cause threads don't pull tight enough, or use a square of old tube on inside between valve and tape.
    - put tire back on rim, will be a tight fit
    - inflate with compressor with loose bead down. Wait for bead to snap in place. I use soap to lube bead and channel to ease process.
    - remove core and put in 2 - 4oz of stans per tire.
    - air up overnight to 10-20psi, shake n then ride to spread stans. Should be no leakage anywhere.

Ride and enjoy a much better system than gorilla tape n darryls, except not being very field serviceable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    My LBS just used some good ol' Gorilla Tape. No need to expensive SR tape. You can also use different sorts of designed duct tapes.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by KantoBoy View Post
    My LBS just used some good ol' Gorilla Tape. No need to expensive SR tape. You can also use different sorts of designed duct tapes.
    Tell us about that good ol' gorilla tape in a season, when sealant has found a way through and you need to remove it and the residue the gorilla tape leaves behind.

Sun's tape works much better in the short and long term. 3M 8898 works great too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks everyone for the info. I am going to use this opportunity to do this and do it right! I'm also going to change the boring black rim strip to orange to match my bike color (2016 Farley 5) as soon as orange becomes available.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jdaigneault View Post
    Thanks everyone for the info. I am going to use this opportunity to do this and do it right! I'm also going to change the boring black rim strip to orange to match my bike color (2016 Farley 5) as soon as orange becomes available.
    Don't forget to fire your mechanic. What dolts.