Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    MaverickMotoMedia.com

Tubeless: Marge lite rims + Clownshoe rim strips. does it work?

Has anyone had good results trying this?
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Works great for me.
    I learned about it from someone else on mtbr.
    I have a Marge Lite with 27 tpi Husker Du.
    I made sure the Clown Shoe rim strip was tucked under the rim bead on both sides (fits perfectly), installed the tire, set the beads with a tube, broke one side free, removed the tube, added Stan's valve with core removed, laid wheel with loose bead side down on a bucket and hit it with a blast of air from a pancake nailer compressor. Popped right on. Then I added Stan's through the valve, re-installed the valve core, re-inflated and did the Stan's shake/rotate procedure. It has held air perfectly. The Clown Shoe rim strip bulged out quite a bit through the rim cutouts so I went back in and added the Marge Lite rim strip over the top to reinforce it. I think using some ribbon first, then the Clown Shoe rim strip would possibly be a bit lighter alternative.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Tubeless: Marge lite rims + Clownshoe rim strips. does it work?

Wouldn't a Rolling Darryl strip be better for this application?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ultraspontane View Post
    Wouldn't a Rolling Darryl strip be better for this application?
    since the RD's are 82mm it seems so but never tried it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I've use this method and it's been great. Have 120 Nate and Knard running at 6 - 8 psi with no problems. Went down to 3 psi for a snow ride with the Knard in rear and had some burping so went back to 5 psi and it's been fine.

WNC Native
    Interesting, would this be any lighter than a split tube setup (without foam)?
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkorn View Post
    I've use this method and it's been great. Have 120 Nate and Knard running at 6 - 8 psi with no problems. Went down to 3 psi for a snow ride with the Knard in rear and had some burping so went back to 5 psi and it's been fine.
    bobkorn, did put a second strip in as well, or are you running just the clown shoe rim strip? I like the simplicity of this over the split tube or Gorilla tape versions...
    do it right, or do it twice....

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by masta_panda View Post
    bobkorn, did put a second strip in as well, or are you running just the clown shoe rim strip? I like the simplicity of this over the split tube or Gorilla tape versions...
    I have both a Marge Lite and Clownshoe strip. Did it right off because when I first read about this method, the bulging was an issue and didn't want to re-do it. Can't recommend this method enough. It's a simple, easy and clean way to go tubeless.

WNC Native
    Awesome, time to order some CS rim strips then. This also should be way better than split tube for swapping tires out too!
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Works great so far! 120 TPI Hudu. Only the clownshoe rim strip. Set it up on the rear a couple weeks ago and haven't lost any air yet. 5-10 psi on a variety of snow/dirt. Bulges quite a bit, but it doesn't seem to be an issue. We'll see how well it holds up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cansado View Post
    I made sure the Clown Shoe rim strip was tucked under the rim bead on both sides
    anyone got a pic of the clown rim strip installed on a margelite?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by wadedro View Post
    anyone got a pic of the clown rim strip installed on a margelite?
    I can take one when I get into the shop today for your viewing pleasure. The strip basically runs the full width of the inside, including the rim shoulder, and the tire sits ON the strip.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    ok, I got it. rim shoulder = bead seat, which the tire sits on. clear as day, no need for a pic. Thanks MP

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Sure thing wade, let us know how it works out for you!

mtbr member
    The Clown Shoe rim strip bulged out quite a bit through the rim cutouts so I went back in and added the Marge Lite rim strip over the top to reinforce it. I think using some ribbon first, then the Clown Shoe rim strip would possibly be a bit lighter alternative.
    Just to clarify, because I'm a total newb: The clownshoe rim strip was still visible through the cutouts and the Marge Lite strips were on the inside? or is it the other way around?
    That creep can roll, man.

mtbr member
    Works great for me.
    The Clown Shoe rim strip bulged out quite a bit through the rim cutouts so I went back in and added the Marge Lite rim strip over the top to reinforce it. I think using some ribbon first, then the Clown Shoe rim strip would possibly be a bit lighter alternative.
    Not only lighter but if one wanted to add some color with the ribbon that would be perfect.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ecwashere7 View Post
    Just to clarify, because I'm a total newb: The clownshoe rim strip was still visible through the cutouts and the Marge Lite strips were on the inside? or is it the other way around?
    I went with ML strip first, CS over that. Don't think it matters though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkorn View Post
    I went with ML strip first, CS over that. Don't think it matters though.
    I think it would matter, that way it keeps the Marge lite strip from potentially moving around so that one first, and the CS strip over it. I know it's going to bulge no matter what, but at least only one strip has sealant on it that way too.... my 2 cents though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    my prayers have been answered. sounds so simple. CS strips are getting ordered up

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have a couple hundred kms on my tubeless setup: marge lites, just clownshoe rim strips, stans valves and sealant with Vee Snowshoes.

Zero problems to date.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by masta_panda View Post
    I think it would matter, that way it keeps the Marge lite strip from potentially moving around so that one first, and the CS strip over it. I know it's going to bulge no matter what, but at least only one strip has sealant on it that way too.... my 2 cents though.
    Makes a lot more than "2 cents". I never thought about it when I did it because the ML strip was already in place so I just left it as it was.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Going to give this method a shot. I am thinking if I just do the CS rim strip and one layer of regular duct tape over, should work also. I would imagine 1 layer of duct tape is lighter than a ML rim strip, and cheaper. (This to prevent the strip from bulging too much).

Just picked up some 120 tpi Knards to replace my 27's, so I removed all the gunked up gorilla tape and the red duct tape "rim strip". Should be a significant weight savings on the wheels as this is my SS Pugs that I'll use for Summer trail riding.

Thanks for the idea.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Installed the strip an I am amazed on how perfectly the strip fits into the rim. You'd swear it was made for it. One strip of regular duct tape, tube and 25-30 psi and it looked great, no over bulging out the holes. Going to leave it them around 20 psi until I do the conversion, but it seems pretty fool-proof so far. Looks like the way to go with Marge Lite rims.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Very interested in this setup. Also considering something similar for my Rolling Darryls. Please keep the feedback coming.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cactusjk View Post
    Very interested in this setup. Also considering something similar for my Rolling Darryls. Please keep the feedback coming.
    What else do you want to know? Tubeless on a Fat bike is an interesting conversation without a doubt, however, the reason for it changes from person to person. I weighed a set yesterday I did for a customer, the tubeless setup requirements for sealant are so high that it actually ADDS weight to the wheel set, by almost a full pound for the set. Kind of a bummer. ..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast