Thread: Tubeless Envy

mtbr member

Tubeless Envy

All this tubeless talk makes me sad. I've been happily riding tubeless on my conventional mtb's for years but my 2 sets of fat-wheels have Uma-1's and Flattop 100's. These rims are too small to run tubeless. The tires fit so loosely that they're difficult to air up with tubes without blowing off the rims. I've tried building up the bed and using the 24" split tube without success. If anybody has any great ideas I'm all ears, otherwise I'll go on suffering with my tubes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    What is your goal with tubeless? If it's to save weight or run lower pressures, I haven't found that it gains either. If you have flatting issues, then you will have to keep at it. Building up the bead seat helped me more than building up the spoke bed. In the end, I went back to using lightweight tubes.

mtbr member

Tubeless Envy

I'm a tubeless advocate for sure, and urge anyone to give it a shot. Which you have. I don't have experience with your rims, but while no fatbike rim is designed to run tubeless, some really just won't work.

That said...is there any lip to the rim at all? You might try just tape (good stuff) up over the bead wall, or an ultralight toob, something to take up less void, less rounding of edges. If you can get a split tube to hold pretty well, you might think of gluing it, essentially you would have a tubular ish fat bike. I'm going to try that next time I set up, I think it will make changing tires easier....maybe.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I had a similar issue when setting up Marge Lites with all of the following tyres, On-One Floater, Surly Endo and Larry. What worked for me was a quality rim tape over the standard rim tape. Something that will keep the latex in the tyre and wont allow the latex to seep into the rim tape. Then I had to air up the tyres with a tube first to seat the tyre on one side. Then I removed the tube, fitted the tyre with Latex and then I used tie down straps around the tyre to hold the tyre in place as I aired it up. Once the tyre started to inflate on the wheel, I removed the tie down and then continued to air up the tyre. Having a compressor at home sure helped I have done this with all the above mentioned tyres using the tie down method and with nothing more for rim tapes than the standard Surly one and a layer of water resistant tape over that. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Can you describe more accurately how the 24" split tube didn't work?

My tires were loose as heck as well, I could practically throw them on the rims. (Clown Shoe rims, BFLs, Bud and Lou are my tires.)

When the tire blows off the rim, it must begin at one point where the bead crawls over the side. It can't happen simultaneously all around the wheel. To make it harder for the bead to even start coming off, build up the bead seat diameter of the wheel with tape and then use a split tube rim strip.

mighty sailin' man
    Quote Originally Posted by Schott View Post
    If you can get a split tube to hold pretty well, you might think of gluing it, essentially you would have a tubular ish fat bike. I'm going to try that next time I set up, I think it will make changing tires easier....maybe.
    anyone ever try anything more serious in this area? urethane? silicon?
    Silicon sounds like a good compromise. Seems you would be able to break that seal when need be to pick the sealant boogers out
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

mtbr member

Tubeless Envy

I am thinking I'll use Tubasti? Any thoughts as to why that wouldn't work or something that would work better, I'm all ears. Also, I plan on doing this to tires halfway through their life span, less boogie worries, and less chance of ME shortening the life of these pricey beasts.

mighty sailin' man
    My larrys will be experiment wear and age sometime this summer

I'm leaning toward urethane with a small section unglued for booger picking
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    My larry will be experiment wear and age sometime this summer
    the truth always comes out.

mighty sailin' man
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    the truth always comes out.
    zING

mtbr member

Tubeless Envy

Also, after you have a glued setup, you can get rid of all the tapes and foam buildups on the rims, just a light rim strip, yeah? I like it.