mtbr member
    Mar 2013

tubeless and drilled rims

now then i am ready to go tubeless but also want drilled rims question is does the gorilla tape method work with drilled rims (is gorilla tape airtight or not )or should i just go with the split tube method so i can change the rim tape whenever i feel like it without cleaning all residue from gorilla tape,
    i have watched many video and read loadsa forums about drilling and to be honest a bit scared to drill my new £1000 bike i am pretty handy with tools etc its just thinking about it ,i have a week of work and might as well do drill and tubless in one go any help,recommendations,notes , will be appreciated especailly people who have done it but had second thought (scared lol)
    thanks very much

bike on one fatty

Laramie, Wyoming
    When I've done gorilla tape, I like to put one layer of something like the clear duck packing tape on the inside. I was at a race just last weekend when a guy came up to me and told me he recognized my bike from on here from my tubeless setup. Pretty cool.

Just clear tape looks like this.

Or you can choose your color.

And then it will look like this.

mtbr member
    yup use a color of some kind otherwise it's pretty much meh.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Re: tubeless and drilled rims

thanks ot looks good. toidays the day i think my drill comes,, colour tape not arrived, might come today

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

update

update on drilling done one so for i was crapping it when starting but everything went smoothly rims are easy to drill no messing question is though could i drill the valve hole and then redrill a little presta hole in rim joint i cant see it weakening if its a small hole, what do you think will it be ok thanks update later

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tubeless and drilled rims-uploadfromtaptalk1365082595018.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    Or you can choose your color.
    I can have page after page of awesome bike stuff open on the laptop and the GF doesn't notice. I had this image open for about 15 seconds and she comes over from across the room and starts asking where you get tape like that and if we can bling up her Pugsley wheels!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Laramie, Wyoming
    vikb, hopefully you said something like, "Sure, which color would you like?".

stesteste, I have both a presta and a schrader valve hole in my rims on opposite sides of the rim. In my opinion, if you are converting to tubeless, you ought to use a schrader valve. It's very sturdy, it's easier to work with, and it's easier to check and adjust tire pressure.

mtbr member
    No. I've already swapped her onto her second rim strip setup on the Pugs - not to mention I painted her rims in the last month.

She knows if she goes out and gets something new I will help her get it installed. If the tires have to come off anyways I'll probably take care of it, but if it's gratuitous rim strip change I'll just walk her through it and she'll turn the wrenches.

Same with her MTB - I'll help her with anything she asks for help with, but I expect her to handle tasks within her abilities [with guidance] and to be responsible for her own bikes.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    update all went well pheew :P

tools used 3mm pilot bit
    6mm bit
    32mm hole saw excellent went through like butter £5.49 from ebay
    Hole Saw Holesaw Drill Tooth Kit HSS Steel Bit Cutter Tool For Metal Wood Alloy | eBay
    and a 19mm hole saw
    cutting fliud
    deburring tool
    my orange and white tape hasnt arrived yet the one in the rims is what was allready in the rim , overall about four hours and happy with result i was a bit scared when starting but after first hole i thought this is easy peezy ;D
    heres some pics

all marked up

20130404_114537 by stephen fz45, on Flickr

pilot holes

20130404_121004 by stephen fz45, on Flickr

did the 32mm holes first measuered and checked twice drill once

20130404_123406 by stephen fz45, on Flickr

ooops forgot to take pic of 19mm hole oooh well same process

one wheel done looks nice

20130404_142431 by stephen fz45, on Flickr

as i say this is original rim tape waiting for some orange for big holes and white for small ;D

20130404_170930 by stephen fz45, on Flickr

its a but overcast pic not very bright bring on the brighter tape

20130404_170915 by stephen fz45, on Flickr

thanks all for the help and recommendations

ps friday or saturday im gunna try the tubeless method

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

stesteste, I have both a presta and a schrader valve hole in my rims on opposite sides of the rim. In my opinion, if you are converting to tubeless, you ought to use a schrader valve. It's very sturdy, it's easier to work with, and it's easier to check and adjust tire pressure.
    thanks i have just bought presta ones now but i have an old inner tube with shrader if it doesnt work out
    question do you have drilled rims as well and which method did you you for tubeless (split tube or the foam packing with gorilla tape) did it seat in bead straight away did you use air compressor or track pump cheers all help welcome

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

coiuld be bothered waiting for my tape to arrive.. i had an old florescent work coat never used the outer lining is very light so started cutting up orange for large hole florescent white for small holes 1 rap of clear tapre then fabric another tape round rim. and woow i love it. what do you think
    with the left over coat theres 2 large pockets think a bit of stitching i make myself a detachable frame bag

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tubeless and drilled rims-uploadfromtaptalk1365264663036.jpg  

tubeless and drilled rims-uploadfromtaptalk1365264742481.jpg  

tubeless and drilled rims-uploadfromtaptalk1365264794151.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I just started doing my On-one rims, 30mm holes all round except opposite the presta hole where the rim is joined (so I don't create a weak point for the join). Using a step drill and so far so good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hi, I've just drilled my LM rims. I used a 32mm hole saw no problems except the edges are pain to file. My only issue is how far the rim tape protrudes from rim about 10mm is this normal? I'm using a 24 inch DH tube as rim tape with duct tape inside. Tubeless setup with on one tyres. If someone has done this with LM rims did you ave to re tension spokes.
    Cheers

Elitest thrill junkie
    Sounds a little excessive, I've seen a few with that much protrusion. I'd imagine it depends on a few things. Even with 20psi mine don't protrude anywhere near that, but I used 2 layers of clear cellophane tape over my glow-in-the-dark patches, then two passings of 1.75" gorilla tape (overlaping in the middle over the holes). This makes it fairly hard to "bulge" excessively, but there is some give too. Then I ditched the heavy on-one rim strips, no reason to keep those.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.