mtbr member

Tubeless Converts....Where are you buying your tape???

Hey all--
    My Night Train should be here soon enough and putting my idle hands to good work. I have another set of wheels built up that I am converting to tubeless (SunRingle MuleFut 80mm rims).

I want to have the wheels ready when the NT comes in.

Can you give a recommendation on a tape you've had success with and a link to where you are purchasing (if online).

Thanks.
    Tom

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Wide gorilla tape. Gorilla tape is a bit heavier than other options perhaps but it's the tried and true go to option for most people.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkzhao View Post
    Wide gorilla tape. Gorilla tape is a bit heavier than other options perhaps but it's the tried and true go to option for most people.
    Thanks for the info. Good to hear gorilla tape is still getting some love.

On another thread (can't remember which one) some folks were kinda down on GT and had other recommendations.

I am more concerned with dependability than weight savings.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    So, with gorilla tape, do you just tape alone the cut outs? Wouldn't the expoed adhesive trap dirt and other debris from the outside of the wheel through the cut outs? Please explain how the tape is installed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    This website has some good step by step instructions.

Tubeless Fatbike Conversion Update | Cycles In Life

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I just converted my Rolling Daryl's, on with Scotch tough duct tape purchased locally and the other with glad wrap over foam with no tape. Both ways worked easily but the glad wrap was especially slick.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by OnThaCouch View Post
    On another thread (can't remember which one) some folks were kinda down on GT and had other recommendations.
    I think really the main concern with gorilla tape is weight. I have gorilla tape on clown shoes and it's been plenty reliable.

Orange Seal has a 45mm tape if you want to go with a less "ghetto" tape.

Quote Originally Posted by hartzpad View Post
    So, with gorilla tape, do you just tape alone the cut outs? Wouldn't the expoed adhesive trap dirt and other debris from the outside of the wheel through the cut outs? Please explain how the tape is installed.
    look at one of the many tubless conversion threads or blogs out there if you want the details on how to do it. In short, no you're not exposing the sticky side through the rim. You're taping over a rim strip of some sort.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    There are threads where 3M 8898 or 8896 is said to be what one or more of the "real" tubeless tapes are.
    you can get a 72mm wide x 55m long roll here:
    R.S. Hughes

Disclaimer:
    I haven't tried it yet myself but I have a 24mm roll on the way for my 30mm rims. (no fatty yet)
    Last edited by taiter; 1 Day Ago at 12:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by taiter View Post
    There is another thread where 3M 8898 or 8896 is said to be what one or more of the "real" tubeless tapes is.
    you can get a 72mm wide x 55m long roll here:
    R.S. Hughes

Disclaimer:
    I haven't tried it yet myself but I have a 24mm roll on the way for my 30mm rims. (no fatty yet)
    Thanks. Mike C. from lacemine29.com recommended this but I was having a tough time tracking down single rolls. I'll pick up a roll and give it a shot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Orange Seal 45mm tape is too narrow for Mulefuts unless you use overlapping wraps, and then you don't have enough tape for two wheels.

Gorilla tape and Orange Seal sub-zero sealant has worked great for my Mulefuts. I didn't pre-line the rim with ribbon or a rim-strip and the exposed adhesive at the rim-cut-outs has largely worn off after several wet and muddy rides, so no issues with dirt sticking to the tape.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Tubeless Converts....Where are you buying your tape???

This is what I'm going to use on my Mulefat's,15 bucks.
    3M Construction Seaming Tape 8087 Red, 72 mm x 50M, 2 13/16 in x 55 yd (Pack of 1)

Pedaling

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by hartzpad View Post
    No, the first layer is reversed, meaning you can use any color duck tape. Then go back and tape a second layer over the top of that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    it's the tried and true go to option for most people.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I was in a hurry on one wheel and didn't even bother with the reversed tape to cover the cut-outs. The Gorilla Tape adhesive wears out quickly at the cut-outs and isn't a problem, but it doesn't look very spiffy.

Off the back...
    I don't have cutouts, so I just put squares of gorilla tape over the spoke holes to seal it. Still holding air two weeks later. Duct tape works pretty well, but I find the generic stuff isn't as sticky as the 3M and GT.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I just left the rim strip in place and taped over it. Been working just fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by OnThaCouch View Post
    I am more concerned with dependability than weight savings.
    Then why do you want to go Tubeless? Tubes are far more dependable. Tubeless is mainly to save weight. It will also add a couple tenths of an inch to the width of the tire.

mtbr member

Re: Tubeless Converts....Where are you buying your tape???

Quote Originally Posted by neons97 View Post
    Then why do you want to go Tubeless? Tubes are far more dependable. Tubeless is mainly to save weight. It will also add a couple tenths of an inch to the width of the tire.
    On my 29er rigid I've been tubeless for a couple of years without issues. Running tubes before that there were too many flats for my comfort level. There are a lot of goatheads and thorny bushes where I ride.

I like the ride of tubeless much better as well. Would not go back to tubes if i don't have to.

Anchorage, AK
    Quote Originally Posted by neons97 View Post
    Tubeless doesn't save if any weight compared to lightweight tubes and rim strips. Here is what I usually see in this forum for tubeless on rims with cutouts:

Retain existing rim strip: 80 to 100 grams
    Add three strips of gorilla tap (left, right, center): 120 grams
    Add a valve stem: 15 grams
    Add 4-8 ounces of Stans: 110-220 grams
    Total weight: at least 325 grams--

Here is what is easily possible with a light weight tube and a light weight rim strip:

Tube: 185-240 grams (Schwalbe SV15F or Q tube 2.7 lightweight tube)
    One strip of decorative duck tape with saran wrap on the sticky side: 20 grams

weight: 205 to 260 grams
    --Peace