Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Tubeless 45NRTH Escalator

Went with a ghetto tubeless setup on my Marge Lite with Escalator...Blew off twice and had a ***** of a time getting the hop out of it when inflated...I have done this method with many other tires and the process was cake...Anyone else try tubeless on the Escalator yet?

mtbr member
    pic
    Attached Images Attached Images  

How much does it weigh?
    If a tire ever blows off the rim during setup, it's probably a good sign to not try again unless you increase the bead area on the rim.

mtbr member
    The sidewall is so supple as well...180 TPI...and they added material or something...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NOBBY605 View Post
    Went with a ghetto tubeless setup on my Marge Lite with Escalator...Blew off twice and had a ***** of a time getting the hop out of it when inflated...I have done this method with many other tires and the process was cake...Anyone else try tubeless on the Escalator yet?
    How has the tubeless Escalator been working out for you? I've been thinking about a similar setup.

Laramie, Wyoming
    What methods did you use to do the tubeless setup? Just curious.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Mine's been great.

Running it on Uma 70 and 90, "standard" tubeless set up, IE: Speedway's "Stans" wide yellow rim tape....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Works great on uma 90 Ghetto style three strips gorilla tape. Having a compessor is a big help!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    What methods did you use to do the tubeless setup? Just curious.
    This was just posted by Dirt Rag, it's probably what I'm going to try:

How to set up a fat bike tubeless | Dirt Rag Magazine
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

Laramie, Wyoming
    If you need a compressor then you need to change the setup.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Ok. What is the best setup ?
    1 - "conventional" with Stan's yellow tape overlapped
    2 - "Getto" with a split 24" tube
    3 - Multiple wraps of "gorilla" duct tape

Anybody wish they did their's differently?

Quote Originally Posted by tjdog800 View Post

Anybody wish they did their's differently?
    Best is relative.

Current Uma's have a bead socket they paid for the rights to use, from Stans. As such, yellow tape works just great.

All other rims are not "BST" rims, and benefit from some level of bead socket volume reduction to prevent burping, slippage, promote easier seating, sealing etc. Gorilla tape is thicker than "yellow tape", and a few layers builds that up. The split tube not only performs a nice job of sealing the rim/tire bead interface, but also bulks up the bead socket.

I prefer the split tube method, but folks seem to use both with good results, so do whatever speaks to you....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NOBBY605 View Post
    pic
    Hey Nobby!

Nice setup.

I've been considering a Lefty myself and wanted to know where you got your fork brackets as the offset is greater for the fat tires.

Did you fab it yourself, get it from Project 321, or somewhere else.

Oh, Sorry... I don't mean to hijack the thread.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Best is relative.

Current Uma's have a bead socket they paid for the rights to use, from Stans. As such, yellow tape works just great.

All other rims are not "BST" rims, and benefit from some level of bead socket volume reduction to prevent burping, slippage, promote easier seating, sealing etc. Gorilla tape is thicker than "yellow tape", and a few layers builds that up. The split tube not only performs a nice job of sealing the rim/tire bead interface, but also bulks up the bead socket.

I prefer the split tube method, but folks seem to use both with good results, so do whatever speaks to you....
    Thanks MCS... The "split tube" method is speaking to me at the moment.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Best isn't relative at all. Multiple wraps of gorilla tape makes it sound like one has to put a roll of tape on the rim. One wrap of tape covering the entire rim is all that is needed. As far as the "bead socket", just run the tape up and to the outside of the rim and call it a day. With tape, it is easier to remove the tire and change tires.

Best isn't relative at all.
    You're welcome to your opinions, but it is indeed relative as pertaining to the question asked. Running an Uma? Why the heck would you use Gorilla tape?

Hence my statement about it being relative....

I've had a few guys running Gorilla tape that have had irritating leak issues, and have burped more than once so it's far from perfect too.

I don't care, do whatever makes you happy, split tube though? Hasn't been a huge hassle to change tires, let's face it, changing tires when they are full of goop is a hassle, any way you stack it, fat, skinny, they all slop around and get your hands wet....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post

I've had a few guys running Gorilla tape that have had irritating leak issues, and have burped more than once so it's far from perfect too.

let's face it, changing tires when they are full of goop is a hassle, any way you stack it, fat, skinny, they all slop around and get your hands wet....
    I run my tires as low as 1.5 psi and do some crazy climbing. No issues whatsoever. If someone has problems with burping, they have set them up poorly.

Remove the tires carefully, leaving the sealant in the tire is easy enough without making a mess.

mighty sailin' man
    I run my tires as low as 1.5 psi
    I see that all over the forum, from you alone. I wish you would get another gauge to compare to. Personally I find it hard to believe
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniTrail View Post
    I see that all over the forum, from you alone. I wish you would get another gauge to compare to. Personally I find it hard to believe
    minitrail, I don't believe I'm the only one because I've heard it a lot from those who do extreme snow riding.

It was only a few days ago that a respected rider on here who is now in Alaska asked the following: "For those of you running tubeless on wider (80mm or so) rims, how low can you go on rear tire pressure before you're burping air and spewing sealant?

Another, more specific way to ask this is: When riding super soft, deep snow, can you run crazy low (think 2 or 3psi) all day long, or do they burp and spew?"

So clearly I'm not the only one. I don't like 1.5 psi. It is too squishy. About 2.25 psi is generally my low threshold. It makes a difference. Watch the video below. At the end of the video you will see the difference air pressure makes. The first guy I pass I think is a far better technical rider than me (kills me because I sold him his first mtn bike more than twenty years ago) but he has been slow to come around to tubeless and extremely low pressures. The second guy I passed now has tubeless tires and runs them just as low.

3 Crazy Guys on Snow Bikes - YouTube

mighty sailin' man
    I don't like 1.5 psi
    that's all I needed to hear.

I'll try to watch the video later
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    what is the actual tire width mounted to Uma 70 rims?

mtbr member
    What tube would anyone recommend for ghetto tubeless on a 100mm Clown shoe with a BFL?
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    Moonlander

mtbr member
    I've been considering a Lefty myself and wanted to know where you got your fork brackets as the offset is greater for the fat tires.
    While there are examples of people making the brackets themselves, most of the fat lefties you see here use the brackets that Mendon Cycle Smith's sells.

Tim

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Explosion method, its way more fun than any other method. Ether and a lighter is all you need to mount a fat tire

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Quote Originally Posted by thecanoe View Post
    What tube would anyone recommend for ghetto tubeless on a 100mm Clown shoe with a BFL?
    I used Q-tubes 24"x2.4-2.7 I believe it was with my Clown Shoes and Bud and Lou tires.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast