Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Tube size - BFL with RD rims?

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  lawfarm 
#1 ·
I've found a couple of barely-used BFLs that I want to put on my Mukluk. Given the tubes I am using now are (I think) Surly 26x3"-4", will I need to go with a larger diameter tube, or will the tubes I have work in the BFLs? Rolling Darryl rims...

After this, of course, there is the likely issue of chain rub on the back BFL, but I'll worry about that later. I may just go with the Endo (or a Nate) on the rear until I get the extra spacing sorted.

Thanks!

#6 ·
Ya - I've got one pulled gear on the rear cassette already, and I'd have no issue with pulling another if I need the clearance.

I went ahead and put a Husker Du on the back - after about 15 miles on snow trails yesterday, I was really pleased with the with the BFL up front, HD in the rear. I don't think I could get the kind of climbing traction from a BFL on the rear wheel compared to the HD - maybe, but maybe not. It was nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.