mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Truing Stand for fattire - alternative to Park TS-4

Is there an alternative to the Parks TS-4 for 197mm hubs?
    My understanding is the older TS 2.2 is for up to 175mm hubs only.

I kind of don't like truing on the bike or other hacks, but would prefer a less costly stand. just want to true and perhaps built occasional wheels.
    2018 Motobecane Sturgis NX
    2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1

mtbr member
    i own a truing stand for my road wheels. When i built my fat wheels i used my frame and fork with a steel ruler clamped across. it worked just fine to gauge roundness and horizontal true. i found fat rims to true pretty easily.

A Google search will point you back to numerous threads with options. Most non-hack/home fabrication options will require some $$$.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
    Is there an alternative to the Parks TS-4 for 197mm hubs?
    My understanding is the older TS 2.2 is for up to 175mm hubs only.

I kind of don't like truing on the bike or other hacks, but would prefer a less costly stand. just want to true and perhaps built occasional wheels.
    Park tool makes an adapter for the 2.2 for fat tire wheels.

https://www.parktool.com/product/upr...tors-ts-2ext-2

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    i own a truing stand for my road wheels. When i built my fat wheels i used my frame and fork with a steel ruler clamped across. it worked just fine to gauge roundness and horizontal true. i found fat rims to true pretty easily.
    Good point, I see how the fat rims flex much less sideways, so they are naturally more true.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff_L View Post
    Park tool makes an adapter for the 2.2 for fat tire wheels.

https://www.parktool.com/product/upr...tors-ts-2ext-2
    thanks, a bit more fiddling, but overall cheaper.

I once started to built a makeshift truing mechanism that i could mount on the bike (a 12" threaded rod with wellnuts and attached to frame with velcro), but that only works with the tire off. i see Parks has the TS-25. i see how that clamp-on thing on the rigth side coudl be attached to seat or chainstay to be a gauge for the rim. Wish I could find something cheaper. I bought a dial indicator for truing, but still need to find a way to attach to the frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I've had mixed results using the upright extensions. Of course, I have a very early TS2, so it could be the age of my stand. On one set of wheels I built I had 3-4mm of clearance at best from the edge of a rolling darryl to the truing stand arm. This was on a perfectly dished wheel too. It made the build a little slow and tedious, but it worked in the end.

The TS-4 is a good idea, but it really is best at fat hub widths. Otherwise the arms start to bend in too far for older "standard" wheels and doesn't get a good purchase on say 100mm hubs. And if you are gonna true up a 20/16" wheel (I know, I know) you really gotta get the arms way up there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rides Bikes View Post
    I've had mixed results using the upright extensions. Of course, I have a very early TS2, so it could be the age of my stand. On one set of wheels I built I had 3-4mm of clearance at best from the edge of a rolling darryl to the truing stand arm. This was on a perfectly dished wheel too. It made the build a little slow and tedious, but it worked in the end.

The TS-4 is a good idea, but it really is best at fat hub widths. Otherwise the arms start to bend in too far for older "standard" wheels and doesn't get a good purchase on say 100mm hubs. And if you are gonna true up a 20/16" wheel (I know, I know) you really gotta get the arms way up there.
    yeah that is my concern with most stands, they are not very sturdy in all positions. that's why I came up with my idea to attach something to the frame, which is much more stable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have the feedback sports pro truing stand for all my 197 mm wheel builds. It has worked fine for me. However, it requires that you continually flip the wheel in the stand to work on truing each side.

turtles make me hot
    I have a Park 2.2 and the extensions. I've built a ton of wheels in it. They all came out mint. The only shortcoming of that setup is 4.8" tires don't fit in the stand but I only had to tweak a wheel once so I did it in my frame.
    I'm gonna get a TS-4 just because it looks awesome. And I can do a minor adjustment with a tire mounted.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have a Park Home stand. I drilled a third hole between the bolts that attach the arms to the base. This allows me to move the arms farther apart when building 190 wheels. It's cheap and effective solution.

https://www.parktool.com/product/hom...ing-stand-ts-8

mtbr member
    using Feedback Sports here, its one side expand mount and requires to flip the wheel from time to time to check dish but otherwise works OK and I guess is compatible with any hub length. its also seems to be the cheapest option.

the only problem I had was with super-light Newmen rear hub which have cuts around axle inside and thats where "expand" mount cannot engage when fully inserted - need to actually insert it by like a half and remember position when flipping.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BobShort View Post
    I have a Park Home stand. I drilled a third hole between the bolts that attach the arms to the base. This allows me to move the arms farther apart when building 190 wheels. It's cheap and effective solution.

https://www.parktool.com/product/hom...ing-stand-ts-8
    Bob, is there any way you could post a picture of what you have done? Thanks...!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    i made my own. main thing is to a reference point and a way to measure the dish. i can do a 197mm rear hub and then pop in a 150mm front hub with a spacer. total cost is about $5. already had the clamp or it would have been $10
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Truing Stand for fattire - alternative to Park TS-4-truing-stand.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefflinde View Post
    i made my own. main thing is to a reference point and a way to measure the dish. i can do a 197mm rear hub and then pop in a 150mm front hub with a spacer. total cost is about $5. already had the clamp or it would have been $10
    It looks like you have to flip the wheel for dish, correct? And how do you deal with thinner (normal bike) hubs?

I kind of tend to get a separate stand instead of doing stuff on the bike. Reason is I can take the stand inside and take my time (while watching my daughter, or movies or do other stuff in heated/air conditioned room). if i sit in my garage i feel too much pressured to hurry.

I also like the dishing function of the TS 2.2 or TS-4 (by that i mean the feelers being centered and touching rim from both sides). Having to flip over and correct with dishing tool etc. likely gets old quickly. the Park manual and video says to not rely on the dish (due to axle and hub incorrectness etc.) and to verify with a dishing tool, but i think using the 2-side truing gets me closer to center right away.

Anyone who has the TS 2.2 or TS-4, do you have the TSB-4 base and do you think it is useful? It looks like without the base the stand would tip over, or can it just "stand" with a wheel in it? The Parks video shows the stand itself bolted to the work bench. As I plan to use it in my living room, or office etc., I can't just clamp it to a work bench.

TS-4 seems to be a solid tool, but darn is it expensive, but it seems they are the only ones with a wide enough stand and can command high prices.

edit: and I like the feature to be able to true laterally with the tires on. If i had to take the tires off, I would just not true outside of normal tire change times.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I need to have my wheels centered on the hub so i just use the park dish tool and then check the wheel in the stand. no need to flip it. the two side gauge is nice but if your wheel moves away from one side it just moves towards the other so you don't have any better info than a one sided gauge. i have a spacer for smaller hubs. In the end i just need to know how far the rim is from the edge of the hub. you don't need a fancy stand to figure that out.

I have built up 4 sets of wheels with this thing and they are all working great. Next step will be to make it taller so i can get wheels with tires on them in it for checking and adjustments through the life of the wheel. dont want to have to break my tubeless set up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I need to have my wheels centered on the hub so i just use the park dish tool and then check the wheel in the stand. no need to flip it. the two side gauge is nice but if your wheel moves away from one side it just moves towards the other so you don't have any better info than a one sided gauge. i have a spacer for smaller hubs. In the end i just need to know how far the rim is from the edge of the hub. you don't need a fancy stand to figure that out.

I have built up 4 sets of wheels with this thing and they are all working great. Next step will be to make it taller so i can get wheels with tires on them in it for checking and adjustments through the life of the wheel. dont want to have to break my tubeless set up.
    so do you have a separate axle? For the fat wheels I see you would use the axle of the bike. But for thinner wheels where you add the spacers, what axle are you using?

What you built is pretty good and I could do something similar. As you said higher would be good and if it has a larger board as a base, it doesn't need the clamp and can stand freely (no need to clamp on) so i can move it in my living room etc.

I'm just not 100% clear how your axle works with the different widths. Maybe you have a picture without wheel or cna tell what you use? I understand the spacer idea. i assume for a normal QR (e.g. 135mm) you leave the normal QR axle in the wheel, but i don't understand how that "levitates".

Can you hold the dishing tool to the wheel while it is in the stand? It would make life easier if one could verify dish without having to take out the wheel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    I have the feedback sports pro truing stand for all my 197 mm wheel builds. It has worked fine for me. However, it requires that you continually flip the wheel in the stand to work on truing each side.
    Does it hold the weight of the wheel with tires? i could see how the heavy wheel bends it? And instead of flipping, could you use a dishing tool while the wheel is in the stand?

some people also use motorbike stands, but I'm not sure how QR wheels would work in those.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I use an extra rear axle. so it will work with 12mm rear hubs and 15mm front hubs. you could use some threaded rod if you didn't have an axle. the dish tool just sits on top of the stand and it will work on both sides. i made a little piece to gauge the side to side run out and i can move it below to check roundness. so far it works great.

I only have fat bike hubs but i would just make a new spacer if i needed to do anything narrower.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Truing Stand for fattire - alternative to Park TS-4-thumb_img_1136_1024.jpg  

Truing Stand for fattire - alternative to Park TS-4-thumb_img_1137_1024.jpg  

Truing Stand for fattire - alternative to Park TS-4-thumb_img_1139_1024.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I use an extra rear axle. so it will work with 12mm rear hubs and 15mm front hubs. you could use some threaded rod if you didn't have an axle. the dish tool just sits on top of the stand and it will work on both sides. i made a little piece to gauge the side to side run out and i can move it below to check roundness. so far it works great.

I only have fat bike hubs but i would just make a new spacer if i needed to do anything narrower.
    i see how this will work with narrower TA hubs. but can you do quick release wheels?
    what you built kind of looks like the motorcycle truing stands. but same problem with those in that they only work with a TA.

BTW, the dishing tool fitting there is pretty good. I researched a bit more and came to the conclusion those 2-side turers don't replace a dishing tool.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Yeah I can't do QR hubs but I don't have bikes that run them. I only built this because the options for fat bikes at the the time were like $800 custom rigs with dial micrometers. Way more than I needed. Now that the new park tool one is out I still like mine better. I was able to build these wheels for less than the park stand costs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Well, I just swallowed the pill and ordered the TS-4. To make it even more expensive I also ordered the adjustable TSB-4 base.

some time i also buy the WAG-4 dishing tool since that also seems to work with tires on (due to the movable rubber stands).

now I'll have to open my wheel building business to pay for that...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mohrgan View Post
    Bob, is there any way you could post a picture of what you have done? Thanks...!
    I drilled an extra hole in between the bolts on the right arm:

Truing Stand for fattire - alternative to Park TS-4-15206941232921683660952.jpg

Then you can move the arm wider:

Truing Stand for fattire - alternative to Park TS-4-1520694002853699550298.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15206941232921683660952.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	1186844

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1520694002853699550298.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	1186843
    Are you able to fit in a fat wheel with tire on?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Awesome! I had been thinking about doing this for a while and am glad someone already has! Thank you!

This place needs an enema
    now I'll have to open my wheel building business to pay for that...

Better get a nice tensiometer while you're at it...

I use the DT truing stand day-in and day-out for all of my builds, from 100mm QR to 217mm thru-axle. Super solid, crazy expensive (I think -- can't remember as it was a ~decade ago when I ponied up), easy to check dish on the wheel without flipping the wheel, and uber precise with dial gauges for every plane.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Are you able to fit in a fat wheel with tire on?
    Front Bud on 135 hub / Mulefut rim fits with 10mm clearance below but only about 3mm on the left (non moveable) side. Rear Ground Control on Mulefut fits with plenty of room all around.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Better get a nice tensiometer while you're at it...

I use the DT truing stand day-in and day-out for all of my builds, from 100mm QR to 217mm thru-axle. Super solid, crazy expensive (I think -- can't remember as it was a ~decade ago when I ponied up), easy to check dish on the wheel without flipping the wheel, and uber precise with dial gauges for every plane.
    I got the Park tension meter a while ago. i googled for the DT swiss stands, man yes they look great. But 1,200 euros before you add the gages... Yes when you built wheels for a living, definitely get one that dishes properly while you true. not only does it save you time, it also is frustrating to work with less efficient tools when there is a better tool.

Front Bud on 135 hub / Mulefut rim fits with 10mm clearance below but only about 3mm on the left (non moveable) side. Rear Ground Control on Mulefut fits with plenty of room all around.
    Since you say 135mm front, can I assume your rear is 170mm and the 197mm would be too wide?
    After your picture post for your mod I kind of panicked and attempted to cancel my TS-4 order because I thought your idea is pretty good and I could do the same. But too late , TS-4 had already shipped and will be here Monday. Well, there are worse things than getting a TS-4 :-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    So I trued 4 old wheels (Walmart Huffy steel rim und rusted galvanized sopes of which some where wrinkled - worst case scenario here). Worked well and fast and I got to within 1 mm of every spec. Dish of the 2 feelers also was spot on (I also had ordered the WAG-4).

I had to give up on truing any further after I noticed the rim itself changes width (sometimes both feelers scraped at the same location). I'm sure I got all out of those wheels that anyone could and they are better now than when they rolled out of Walmart.

I'm glad I got the adjustable base. Made sitting on the couch much better. Definitely recommend this stand. Yes paying the $ sucked, but it only sucked once and I now can true wheels easily. Yes being able to true wheels inside gives me more time and patience to do a good job, that alone makes it worthwhile.

Thanks to anyone for weighing in.