mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Trip to the moon on the Moonlander

I traded my Pug which I rode for 2-3 years for a Moonlander a month ago and then had to leave town so today was the first chance to ride the monster. It is the XXL frame which fits me fine (I am 6'4") and with tubeless Bud and Lou fitted it is really tall. I set out on a climb to the top of Mount Baldy, which, as the name implies, is above tree line on the top and is just a jumble of rocks. I figured it was as close to being on the moon as I could get. Unfortunately, the gravity up there was the same as on earth.

On the way up it is a steep climb with sections that are almost impossible to walk due to the grade. I was absolutely amazed by the ML's traction. I was running high pressures (8-8.5 psi) and yet my legs gave out before the rear tyre would slip on those vertical climbs. I have never ridden a bike like this. took a while to wrap my bain around the fact that I was not going to spin out even on tree roots. Once getting to the top, I rode like a crazy person all over those loose rocks which are about the size of my head and smaller. It is a good thing there was no one up there because I was racing around bouncing over rocks and laughing. I have never had so much fun riding rocks! Even with all those rocks, I had only one pedal strike because the BB is so high. My FS Turner would have been a disaster up there between traction issues and pedal strikes on the rocks if I could even have gotten it up there.

Coming back down the mountain, the trail is steep and covered with loose gravel/rocks and once again, the ML was steady and sure. I only twice skidded the back tire whilst braking.

So, if you are considering a ML, I can only say, go for it. It is absolutely amazing. I can hardly wait to ride again but I have to go to work.

Thank you Surly for expanding my Mountain Biking World!!!

Adam

mtbr member
    Sounds like fun but doesn't everyone run around 8-8.5psi on trail and isn't the BB on the moonlander lower than on a pug?

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by OFFcourse View Post
    Sounds like fun but doesn't everyone run around 8-8.5psi on trail and isn't the BB on the moonlander lower than on a pug?
    0.2" more BB drop on the Moonie, but with the taller tyres, the BB would end up a little higher than the Pug.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Fat & Single
    Old Buddy & Louie are best at about 7psi on the dirt.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member

All depends on your weight, eh? If I had another 3 inches of stature I think an extra PSI would be in order. Glad to hear you are enjoying, and honestly a bit surprised you had such a revelation with it after riding a pugs already. More power to ya.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Well, 8.5 psi seems pretty high since I am used to riding with about half that or less in the winter. Yes, Stevob is right, the BB does end up higher. I can measure it when I get home today.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Re: Trip to the moon on the Moonlander

Great little write up. I've been lusting for a fat bike for years, and being in San Diego I always want to hear how they do in rocky dry conditions.
    Take a couple snap shots next time! I want to see that moon scape!

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Where is the icon for.....

THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I apologize for no photos but I don't have enough posts to enable me to include pics but that is changing rapidly.

I think the ML on the rocks is much different from the Pug on the rock because of the volume of Bud and Lou. I was not tubeless on the Pug either so maybe I was worried about pinches.

Here in Alaska, it seems fatbikes are seen as winter bikes but I have always loved my fat bikes in the dirt too. They are perfect all purpose bikes - simple and very capable. I want to go try some river crossings, I suspect the bike will float all by itself with those tyres - no pack raft needed! Of course, it will float upside down but....

I will take some pics next time I am up on the moon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have moonbike envy. Sounds like a blast

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

I picked up a Moonlander in March, an have a blast with mine. I run a bit lower PSI though, probably about 6-7 PSI on single track.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roverini View Post
    I traded my Pug which I rode for 2-3 years for a Moonlander a month ago and then had to leave town so today was the first chance to ride the monster. It is the XXL frame which fits me fine (I am 6'4") and with tubeless Bud and Lou fitted it is really tall. I set out on a climb to the top of Mount Baldy, which, as the name implies, is above tree line on the top and is just a jumble of rocks. I figured it was as close to being on the moon as I could get. Unfortunately, the gravity up there was the same as on earth.

On the way up it is a steep climb with sections that are almost impossible to walk due to the grade. I was absolutely amazed by the ML's traction. I was running high pressures (8-8.5 psi) and yet my legs gave out before the rear tyre would slip on those vertical climbs. I have never ridden a bike like this. took a while to wrap my bain around the fact that I was not going to spin out even on tree roots. Once getting to the top, I rode like a crazy person all over those loose rocks which are about the size of my head and smaller. It is a good thing there was no one up there because I was racing around bouncing over rocks and laughing. I have never had so much fun riding rocks! Even with all those rocks, I had only one pedal strike because the BB is so high. My FS Turner would have been a disaster up there between traction issues and pedal strikes on the rocks if I could even have gotten it up there.

Coming back down the mountain, the trail is steep and covered with loose gravel/rocks and once again, the ML was steady and sure. I only twice skidded the back tire whilst braking.

So, if you are considering a ML, I can only say, go for it. It is absolutely amazing. I can hardly wait to ride again but I have to go to work.

Thank you Surly for expanding my Mountain Biking World!!!

Adam
    I share your exact feeling about this bike. Had mine for a little over a month now.

mtbr member
    How are you all getting accurate psi readings at that low?

mtbr member
    Most seem to use a low pressure gauge with max pressure reading of 30psi. I just got a Accu-Gage RS30X.

mtbr member
    I have been using this pump for a year now. It's the bomb for fatties. A little expensive but worth it. The gauge is on top so you can actually read it and you can go down to 1 psi if you want. Digital so it's deadly accurate. You can even use presets on it. It does eat a few batteries in a year but I don't care.
    Airace Hercules DG Floor Pump
    Name:  AirAce Hercules.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  5.2 KB

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Mt. Baldy at Philmont? Wow, I can imagine riding up the approach, but that scree at the top would freak me out, especially on the descent!

Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    How are you all getting accurate psi readings at that low?
    Available anywhere for about $6... or $4 at WallyWorld

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I am in the same category here... I just bought a moonlander a few weeks ago and it has exceeded expectations in every way. I have owned a Pug for a few years and it was hard to convince myself to buy not only another steel framed fatbike, but one that looks much heavier. The bike simply performs. I want to take it everywhere.