Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Which trigger shifter for the Puglsey?

908 views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Jayem 
#1 ·
I'm pretty happy with the Microshift for the front derailleur and the possibility it gives to fine tune depending upon the chain line.

But for the rear derailleur, I'm not liking the Microshifts half as much. I understand they're supposed to work better during winter time when riding with gloves, but I intend to mostly ride with pogies when the temperature's low.

Which leads me into trigger shifters. The question however is which ones are compatible with the Deore RD-M591.

Anyone here caring to share the knowledge? :)

#4 ·
What is it that you don't like about the micro's? Is it the function of them or the style? It's hard to go wrong with a set of Paul's Thumbies and Shimano bar-end shifters if it's a matter of function. SRAM also make Rocket grip shifts for 9 speed- they work really well and a durable.

#5 ·
I just got the SunRace thumb shifters. I loved my old 9 speed attack grip-shift - but the spring finally broke. I hate triggers!!

#6 ·
Thanks for the answers!

What I don't like about the shifter for the rear is the total amplitude of the movement, between "Gear 1" and "Gear 9". It's just too large and means I have to adjust my right hand position depending upon which gear I'm in.

#11 ·
I've never had any problems with shimano rapid fire shifters, in fact, today my sram X7 rear shifter (3 mo old) died. It's jammed in 1st gear and can't shift up, even with the cable out. I also find that it's easy to inadvertently shift to a harder gear with the SRAM triggers, as the "push" function is very sensitive, like a hair trigger. Gloves will be a problem for sure.

I used dual controls for a while on my 29er hardtail with LX brakes and those worked great. No complaints and I'd think they'd be great on a fat-bike. I'm not sure why people didn't like them, I think the perception was that you would be giving up braking control, but it just isn't really the case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.