Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Trek Fat bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Trek Fat bike

I was cruising the internet and found this. I don't think anyone has posted it yet. Unfortunately there weren't any specs for it.

Trek Fat bike-trek-fat-bike.jpg

I saw freewheel bike in MN posted that... they may have gotten it from somewhere else though. Fork looks carbon.

And so the tidal wave continues...

mtbr member
    Interesting, looks like a tight fit on a Knards. 170? I thought all the new bikes would be 190 and fit the big tires.

Levi Early
    Im all for seeing the big three getting involved in the fat bike market. Hopefully this will drive the price of some things down.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    me thinks these trek, specialized fat bikes are to the simply surly steels, what the surly steels are to the walgoose...

maybe it's just the paint job

ouch....
    They had the chance at putting out a fat fuel...but noooooo.....lol.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Where'd you find that pic? Any other goodies?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I found it on my LBS's facebook page. No other information or photos, just that one. I am surprised at the lack of clearance (maybe its just a bad camera angle). Also I was kinda hoping for some Bontrager tires and wheels.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Looks a lot like a Stache 8 with a different fork, but a fat rear would never fit in that frame, would it? Are those 26" wheels or 29+?

mtbr member
    That rear tire looks like it barely fits. Not even remotely interested.

Lord Thunderbottom
    looks like my sawyer fork

Who installed the tires on there? they are completely off the valve, obey the rules!
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

Human Test Subject
    Trek needs to stay in the back seat and stay quiet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    looks pretty useless with clearance like that - bet you wouldnt get a nate in there for winter

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Oh thank the lord!

Now everyone that calls me, asking which brands I carry that are ridden in the 'Tour, and wants a fatbike, will be ecstatic since I can tell them their wishes have been granted.

Everyone knows, unless your bike brand has bikes in the TDF, they are junk.

My guess, Cervelo will be next......
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    ...Bianchi...they've been in the winter racing thing for YEARS...they've sponsored Rocky Reifenstuhl in the ITI for quite a while, at least since the Dan Bull days...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have always wondered why people want a bunch of room around their tires in the fram. I don't care how much clearance there is between my stays and the tire, as long as the tire I want to use fits and doesn't rub. I have often run wider tires in my older MTB frames that barely clear, and never worried about how much mud clearance there was. I never felt like the close stays getting caked up with mud slowed me down anymore than ones with plenty of room. The mud/ or snow is going to build up to the point where it is sheared off anyways if it is thick and sticky enough to matter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Wow. Another rigid fatty. Nice to see the big guys really pushing the envelope.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by autodoctor911 View Post
    I have always wondered why people want a bunch of room around their tires in the fram. I don't care how much clearance there is between my stays and the tire, as long as the tire I want to use fits and doesn't rub. I have often run wider tires in my older MTB frames that barely clear, and never worried about how much mud clearance there was. I never felt like the close stays getting caked up with mud slowed me down anymore than ones with plenty of room. The mud/ or snow is going to build up to the point where it is sheared off anyways if it is thick and sticky enough to matter.
    I guess you've never ridden in mud sticky and thick enough to stop your wheels dead like hitting the brakes. I consider tire clearance very important, just as important as flotation. Stopping to scrape off your tires every 30 seconds sucks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I guess I haven't. Where do you find mud like that?

Most of the mud I see around here is black dirt, with a good bit of clay in it, but also a little sand, which might keep it from getting that sticky. It's probably not nearly as sticky as the red stuff. Usually the tire pushing through the mud gives me a lot more resistance than the mud/tire/frame interface.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Fat & Single
    The first one I see with a new tyre that doesn't say Surly or any of the other current offerings im going to get excited. Until then its really only a different named, different coloured version of sh1t we already have.... and by the look of the above, a step back to 135mm rear hubs or could be 170mm with a 73mm BB.

Saying that it probably wont be long till someone makes a tyre as the big names are making bikes.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by autodoctor911 View Post
    I guess I haven't. Where do you find mud like that?....
    The UK.

As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I know everyone is all excited for things to get cheaper because a name bigger than Surly got involved.

Lest we forget, some of the biggest niche extortionists have some of the biggest names.

Does anyone really think that a small run of tires from one of these guys, will suddenly rain down upon us at $40 a pop, and be all that anyone wants them to be?

We have that, Origin8's. How many folks are running to them saying these are the best things since sliced bread? A few. When Specialized introduces their tire, it will be pegged at close to the same prices are Surly, mark my words, why would they want to charge less than the going rate?

The broader market has had high end tire prices for years anyway, ever price a Criterium Seta Extra? MSRP was over 2 bills, 20+ years ago. Quit yer whinin'.

These parts all cost money because the production runs are small.

A new manufacturer isn't going to suddenly make 30,000 tires at $20 MSRP just because they made a fat bike and they like you, and don't like Surly. And if they do, it'll be heavy, stiff, and ride like sh*t.

And, who sells more bikes that costs range into the nosebleed range? Yeah, the big guys. They love to make money, not pacify riders desire to save money.

So now we have three "big boys" making crap we already can buy, they haven't revolutionized anything, most complain about the Kona, and the other two, well, really?

They are simply following a trend so they don't get left out on a place at the feed trough. Anyone that can show me that they have your wallet staying fuller as their prime objective, and I'll eat my hat.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Specialized, Trek.... We do not need new frames.

We need new tires and rims to escape the SURLY/SALSA domination.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast