Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trek Fat bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Trek Fat bike

I was cruising the internet and found this. I don't think anyone has posted it yet. Unfortunately there weren't any specs for it.

Trek Fat bike-trek-fat-bike.jpg

I saw freewheel bike in MN posted that... they may have gotten it from somewhere else though. Fork looks carbon.

And so the tidal wave continues...
    ...Be careful what you're looking at because it might be looking back...

mtbr member
    Interesting, looks like a tight fit on a Knards. 170? I thought all the new bikes would be 190 and fit the big tires.

Levi Early
    Im all for seeing the big three getting involved in the fat bike market. Hopefully this will drive the price of some things down.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    me thinks these trek, specialized fat bikes are to the simply surly steels, what the surly steels are to the walgoose...

maybe it's just the paint job

All fat, all the time.
    They had the chance at putting out a fat fuel...but noooooo.....lol.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Where'd you find that pic? Any other goodies?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I found it on my LBS's facebook page. No other information or photos, just that one. I am surprised at the lack of clearance (maybe its just a bad camera angle). Also I was kinda hoping for some Bontrager tires and wheels.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Looks a lot like a Stache 8 with a different fork, but a fat rear would never fit in that frame, would it? Are those 26" wheels or 29+?

mtbr member
    That rear tire looks like it barely fits. Not even remotely interested.

Lord Thunderbottom
    looks like my sawyer fork

Who installed the tires on there? they are completely off the valve, obey the rules!
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

Human Test Subject
    Trek needs to stay in the back seat and stay quiet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    looks pretty useless with clearance like that - bet you wouldnt get a nate in there for winter

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Oh thank the lord!

Now everyone that calls me, asking which brands I carry that are ridden in the 'Tour, and wants a fatbike, will be ecstatic since I can tell them their wishes have been granted.

Everyone knows, unless your bike brand has bikes in the TDF, they are junk.

My guess, Cervelo will be next......
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    ...Bianchi...they've been in the winter racing thing for YEARS...they've sponsored Rocky Reifenstuhl in the ITI for quite a while, at least since the Dan Bull days...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have always wondered why people want a bunch of room around their tires in the fram. I don't care how much clearance there is between my stays and the tire, as long as the tire I want to use fits and doesn't rub. I have often run wider tires in my older MTB frames that barely clear, and never worried about how much mud clearance there was. I never felt like the close stays getting caked up with mud slowed me down anymore than ones with plenty of room. The mud/ or snow is going to build up to the point where it is sheared off anyways if it is thick and sticky enough to matter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Wow. Another rigid fatty. Nice to see the big guys really pushing the envelope.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by autodoctor911 View Post
    I have always wondered why people want a bunch of room around their tires in the fram. I don't care how much clearance there is between my stays and the tire, as long as the tire I want to use fits and doesn't rub. I have often run wider tires in my older MTB frames that barely clear, and never worried about how much mud clearance there was. I never felt like the close stays getting caked up with mud slowed me down anymore than ones with plenty of room. The mud/ or snow is going to build up to the point where it is sheared off anyways if it is thick and sticky enough to matter.
    I guess you've never ridden in mud sticky and thick enough to stop your wheels dead like hitting the brakes. I consider tire clearance very important, just as important as flotation. Stopping to scrape off your tires every 30 seconds sucks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I guess I haven't. Where do you find mud like that?

Most of the mud I see around here is black dirt, with a good bit of clay in it, but also a little sand, which might keep it from getting that sticky. It's probably not nearly as sticky as the red stuff. Usually the tire pushing through the mud gives me a lot more resistance than the mud/tire/frame interface.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Fat & Single
    The first one I see with a new tyre that doesn't say Surly or any of the other current offerings im going to get excited. Until then its really only a different named, different coloured version of sh1t we already have.... and by the look of the above, a step back to 135mm rear hubs or could be 170mm with a 73mm BB.

Saying that it probably wont be long till someone makes a tyre as the big names are making bikes.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    I guess I haven't. Where do you find mud like that?....
    The UK.

As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    I know everyone is all excited for things to get cheaper because a name bigger than Surly got involved.

Lest we forget, some of the biggest niche extortionists have some of the biggest names.

Does anyone really think that a small run of tires from one of these guys, will suddenly rain down upon us at $40 a pop, and be all that anyone wants them to be?

We have that, Origin8's. How many folks are running to them saying these are the best things since sliced bread? A few. When Specialized introduces their tire, it will be pegged at close to the same prices are Surly, mark my words, why would they want to charge less than the going rate?

The broader market has had high end tire prices for years anyway, ever price a Criterium Seta Extra? MSRP was over 2 bills, 20+ years ago. Quit yer whinin'.

These parts all cost money because the production runs are small.

A new manufacturer isn't going to suddenly make 30,000 tires at $20 MSRP just because they made a fat bike and they like you, and don't like Surly. And if they do, it'll be heavy, stiff, and ride like sh*t.

And, who sells more bikes that costs range into the nosebleed range? Yeah, the big guys. They love to make money, not pacify riders desire to save money.

So now we have three "big boys" making crap we already can buy, they haven't revolutionized anything, most complain about the Kona, and the other two, well, really?

They are simply following a trend so they don't get left out on a place at the feed trough. Anyone that can show me that they have your wallet staying fuller as their prime objective, and I'll eat my hat.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Specialized, Trek.... We do not need new frames.

We need new tires and rims to escape the SURLY/SALSA domination.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    I guess I haven't. Where do you find mud like that?

Rocky Gap State Park by bundokbiker, on Flickr
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Does anyone really think that a small run of tires from one of these guys, will suddenly rain down upon us at $40 a pop, and be all that anyone wants them to be?......

....These parts all cost money because the production runs are small. .....

A new manufacturer isn't going to suddenly make 30,000 tires at $20 MSRP just because they made a fat bike and they like you, and don't like Surly. And if they do, it'll be heavy, stiff, and ride like sh*t.
    I agree that having more, (be they bigger companies or smaller), in the fat bike tire market will not necessarily drive down prices. If fat bike tires quit selling like hot cakes and/or the market gets saturated, well then.....maybe.

To my mind, the bigger point to be made with companies like Specialized dropping in is that , IF their tires are better quality at a similar price than Surly's, (which wouldn't be a stretch to imagine), then I would hope this would force Surly to up their game a little and make a better tire as well in the future.

Competition in the marketplace of fat bike specific components has been somewhat lacking. (Really- Vee Rubber hasn't made a dent with the stuff they've brought to the table) So- IF Specialized does what they do with their other tires, and IF they sell the fat bike "Ground Control based" 4.8"er aftermarket at a competitive to Bud & Lou price, I feel that will be a good thing for fat bikers now and into the future.

But yeah.....I am totally with you on the economics of the bigger companies.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    I know everyone is all excited for things to get cheaper because a name bigger than Surly got involved.

Lest we forget, some of the biggest niche extortionists have some of the biggest names.

Does anyone really think that a small run of tires from one of these guys, will suddenly rain down upon us at $40 a pop, and be all that anyone wants them to be?
    Nope, I don't really care about the price... I'll let the manufacturers care about that if they are tyring to compete with others.

Considering I clad every bike I have in Racing Ralphs at $60+ a tyre I will hardly expect my CURRENTLY $200 buds to be $40 a pop.

It will just be exciting to have a big named manufacturer on board and letting QBP know that the niche game is over and they need to work a bit harder for customers, at the moment there is no competition for Surly/45NRTH tyres period.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Maybe it's not that easy to make a good performing, durable and lightweight fatbike tire, and the price accurately reflects the costs associated with production. Just a thought...

Fat & Single
    When a really good road tyre costs $80, a really good CX tyre costs $80, a really good MTB tyre costs $80, its not about the rubber used coz my missus's car has (rated for towing, speed and weight) 15kg tyres for $100, so the fact that a fatbike tyre that's good for 30psi max rather than a roadie tyre that's good for 150psi costs $200 is something that still raises an eyebrow.

I really don't give a sh1t as we here in Oz will pay through the nose anyway but it has to get somewhat better ?
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I think more companies making fat bikes will lead to more fat bike component options, not just frames, but rims, tires, cranks, and forks. The prices may not drop but at least there will be lots of choices. I have an 9zero7 thats been waiting patiently for a RockShox fat specific fork.

Levi Early
    I dont ever expect to see a $40 fat bike tire but I sure would like to see more options for under $100. The fact that replacing both tires on my muk ends up costing more than replacing 4 tires on my crv makes me raise an eyebrow.

back to talking about the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    Maybe it's not that easy to make a good performing, durable and lightweight fatbike tire, and the price accurately reflects the costs associated with production. Just a thought...
    +1 - it's so easy to talk about building stuff awesome and cheap....actually doing it is another thing.

Big tires are particularly tough. We want them light and fast rolling which is possible, but we also want them tough/long lasting and cheap which is possible. The trouble comes when we want them light, fast rolling, tough and cheap!

I am actually hopeful there is a technological breakthrough possible that can get us to light, fast rolling and tough from a puncture perspective. It will require advanced materials and construction techniques and it sure as heck won't be cheap.

My buddy put a small stick through his 27TPI Knards last tour. A very small stick. Running tires that easy to puncture doesn't make me happy, but I'm still sticking with 120TPI Knards because running slow/stiff/heavy tires is worse.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Dirt Huffer
    Wonder if they will they offer this bike in a WSD design? Or if it will have G2 Geometry?

Fat & Single
    Many other tyres have special sidewalls, triple compounds, puncture protection.... blah blah blah. Fatbike tyres are basically rubber bags with knobs attached, ive spiked a HuDu twice and a Bud once, the HuDus are the worst wearing tyres ive ever owned. Ive had 5 different fat tyres now and yet to see anything special apart from the price.

Is anyone really going to stick up for the $150-$200 price tag of these ???

Yeah were a bit off topic but at least its something constructive rather than 90% of the other repeated topics on here lately.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Is anyone really going to stick up for the $150-$200 price tag of these ???
    My first fat tire was the Endo at ~$100. It was the only choice.

I'm happy to see more fat tire options on the market and $150 doesn't blow me away for a niche tire.

I spend $80-$90 on every tire for my 26er MTB and those tires are selling 10-100 to every fatbike tire so they enjoy a massively larger economy of scale.

In terms of the puncture protection if you look at what a "big" MTB tire weighs say a 26 x 2.4" UST Conti Trail King you are at ~1200g which is what some of good the 4" fatbike tires are coming in at. Add in conventional puncture protection and we are back to heavy slow stiff fat bike tires that don't interest me. Which is why I think we need some new materials that can improve puncture protection without a big weight penalty.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    It's not just what Spesh and Trek/Bontrager bring to market. The fact that they are in the market at all will encourage WTB, Schwalbe etc to come out with more options too.

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Which is why I think we need some new materials that can improve puncture protection without a big weight penalty.
    100% agree, if im going to pay those prices I want more than a QBP rubber bag.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    100% agree, if im going to pay those prices I want more than a QBP rubber bag.
    If you want that next level of innovation plan to pay more than current prices....

or hope that fat bike sales are so amazing that we start to close in on the volume of skinny MTBs [unlikely].

Every company that makes a fat tire has to recoup its investment costs over the volume of tires it will sell. So the more they can sell the cheaper the tires will be.

If we divide up the volume of sales by lots more players I can't see anyone being able to sell cheap fat tires that are of a quality most people will be happy with.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Fat & Single
    When a 2.4 MTB tyre has "many technologies", a 23mm roadie has all that stuff too. What extra am I going to pay for ? Rubber ?

The technologies are there, all they need is the market and at the current time its us paying for the nicheness <<< Oh, I invented a new word

Yeah they are going to join the gouging bandwagon and charge the same prices or more initially as the fatbike popularity increases ..... but at least we can expect more than the current crap.</invented>
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    When a 2.4 MTB tyre has "many technologies", a 23mm roadie has all that stuff too. What extra am I going to pay for ? Rubber ?
    You are paying for low volume sales. Tire costs have little to do with rubber costs. That's why a knobby tire for my motorcycle costs $100 using a ton more rubber than any fat bike tire or MTB tire. They sell more of them than they do fat bike tires.

If you want cheap fat bike tires companies have to sell a lot more of them.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Fat & Single
    I don't want cheap tyres Vic, I pay quite good cash for good quality MTB and CX tyres. Im just hoping that sometime soon we get a manufacturer who makes a tyre worth the $150+ price tag that has some of the technologies that my regular bike tyres have.

I ride quite hard on rough terrain (no snow here) and more reliable, tougher and even possibly lighter tyres are hopefully not too far away.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Not considering the impact of low production/sales volumes compared to "normal" bike tires is the same thing as wanting cheap tires.

I feel your pain. I would love tires to be cheaper, but I don't think we are being gouged by Surly or anyone else.

If fat tires are marked up so terribly than there would be a huge incentive for new players to produce and sell them at a lower cost.

Schwalbe et al know exactly how many tires they need to sell at a specific cost to make a new tires worthwhile. If such an amazing opportunity existed in the fatbike niche they'd be all over it. They produce other niche tires such as for recumbents. So they aren't scared of trying something away from the mainstream.

I bet we'll see a few more tires come on the market from Special Ed for example, but they stay around the same price and won't be radically better in terms of the technology used.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Fat & Single
    Look how long it took the "bigger" companies to get on the 29er bandwagon, Specialized alone were 3 years late.

They have all jumped on 650b quick fast.... that might be why we are getting the "test the water" bikes but no innovation.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Look how long it took the "bigger" companies to get on the 29er bandwagon, Specialized alone were 3 years late.

They have all jumped on 650b quick fast.... that might be why we are getting the "test the water" bikes but no innovation.
    +1 - and if Special Ed/Trek/? sell fat bikes like gangbusters they'll invest more money in R&D for them.

If OTOH the small pie that is fatbikes is cut into too many pieces we'll see innovation stifled - possibly even with companies that have historically been willing to invest in fatties like QBP.

One other possibility is companies that want to spend $$ on new stuff despite the other new competitors may try going in a direction that's not compatible with what others are offering. Sort of like what Surly did with 29ers and the Krampus. If you can create a new fatbike standard that people want and that only works with your bikes you've got a leg up.

What will determine all of this is how many fatbikes get sold each year and much upgraditis occurs in the fatbike world for existing owners.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I am very excited for Trek and Specialized to enter our world and look forward to their products. My first mountain bike had the original ground control tires and I would love to have them on a fat bike. Whether or not new tires will be better or cheaper I am continually amazed that my fat bike tires ride so much lighter than they look like they should. I think the endomorph and then the tires to follow are almost the complete reason fat bikes became so popular and moved beyond long distance Alaska winter gear and into all sorts of other rides most of us do.
    laotzucycles.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    As I think back to when 2.3's on Snow Cat's (often w/ trimmed tread just to fit in the frame) were considered the highest floatation available and looked HUGE compared to everything else... I could only have dreamed of what's going on now. These are good times for high floatation cycling!

Now let's hope rumors of susp fork(s) ring true as well...

Cheers!

Dirt Huffer
    I wonder if Trek will eventually do a 69er version of the fat bike, where the front is a Rabbit Hole and the rear is a Marge Lite

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

name for Trek's fat bike

Trek has a name for their fat bike. The Farley.

Sneak Peek 2014 Trek Bikes | Rutland Cycling

I have no affiliation with Rutland Cycling. Just came across the site on a search.

mtbr member
    If I had a Farley the first thing I would do is put it in my van and go for a ride down by the river.
    laotzucycles.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast