Trek Fat bike

Printable View

• 10-23-2013
    hardly_stuntworthy
    They didn't even consider bringing them in Australia, I had to privately import one from the US, and I plan to stick it to the Trek guys at the Mont 24hr race in Canberra when I ride it there too 8) (in a nice way of course)
  • 10-24-2013
    smithrider
    Is there any updates on if the Nate will fit in the rear with the front derailleur?
  • 10-25-2013
    Northernbreed
    Quote:

Originally Posted by smithrider View Post
    Is there any updates on if the Nate will fit in the rear with the front derailleur?

+1 - I'd love to find this out too.
  • 10-25-2013
    heyyall
    I'm just a noob when it comes to fatbikes and Nates vs. Knards, but I rode last night for the first time on the Knards and they were great for mixed use. Very steep grass hills going up or down? No problem. Paved MUT? Moved briskly along. Spin out at 20+ mph? Not an issue. I'm getting them on dirt tomorrow to see what happens. Given the limited tread I run on my 29er currently, the Knards seem like they will be a dream on dirt. Time will tell, particularly when the white stuff starts falling here.

So what I'm getting at is why would a person trade the much lighter Knard for a Nate? That seems like a downgrade to me. I'm learning, but I just don't see the hang up.
  • 10-25-2013
    smithrider
    Quote:

Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    I'm just a noob when it comes to fatbikes and Nates vs. Knards, but I rode last night for the first time on the Knards and they were great for mixed use. Very steep grass hills going up or down? No problem. Paved MUT? Moved briskly along. Spin out at 20+ mph? Not an issue. I'm getting them on dirt tomorrow to see what happens. Given the limited tread I run on my 29er currently, the Knards seem like they will be a dream on dirt. Time will tell, particularly when the white stuff starts falling here.

So what I'm getting at is why would a person trade the much lighter Knard for a Nate? That seems like a downgrade to me. I'm learning, but I just don't see the hang up.

I bet the Knards are better than the nates on the hardpack dirt, loose over hardpack dirt and rocks. Without a doubt. That said, the Nates should do a lot better in the white stuff due to the increased spacing and depth of the nobs. Knards good spring, summer, early fall, Nates good in late fall and winter. I could be wrong though.
  • 10-25-2013
    heyyall
    Guess it depends on the type of snow. I'm thinking my pairing my Knards with studded Dillingers for when it gets icy in late winter. I'll just need to find $400 for a set of Dillingers :eek:
  • 10-25-2013
    Ant-Eater
    Quote:

Originally Posted by heyyall View Post

The Nates have *awesome* traction. Seriously. In snow I think they're only surpassed by the Lou for rear tire bite. The down side is that they may have the highest rolling resistance I've ever experienced - you'll need to do some work to spin them out at 20mph on anything but a downhill. I think smithrider had it right - Nates for snow and Knards for everything more firm. I can't comment on how either would work in sand.
  • 10-25-2013
    Northernbreed
    Quote:

Originally Posted by smithrider View Post
    I bet the Knards are better than the nates on the hardpack dirt, loose over hardpack dirt and rocks. Without a doubt. That said, the Nates should do a lot better in the white stuff due to the increased spacing and depth of the nobs. Knards good spring, summer, early fall, Nates good in late fall and winter. I could be wrong though.

I think you are right on the money.
  • 10-26-2013
    josh8
    The Nate will fit in the frame and with a ft derail as well.
  • 10-26-2013
    Northernbreed
    Quote:

Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
    The Nate will fit in the frame and with a ft derail as well.

Wondering ... if you've seen a Nate mounted on a RD rim, inflated to maybe 20-25 lbs or so, and what the approx. clearances were at the SS, CS, and the front derailleur body. Thanks...
  • 10-26-2013
    heyyall
    Trek Fat bike
    To help you guys get over tire phobia.

• 10-29-2013
    ITFITSQUITHATIN
    IT FITS. QUIT SPECULATING FOLKS.
  • 12-25-2013
    Way2ManyBikes
    Trek Fat bike
    I'm running Dillinger 4.0 studded tired on mine no problem.

• 01-01-2014
    BlackMamba2012
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Way2ManyBikes View Post
    I'm running Dillinger 4.0 studded tired on mine no problem.

:thumbsup: Thats a good looking bike. You like it so far?
  • 01-01-2014
    Way2ManyBikes
    Trek Fat bike
    I am having a ball !!!
  • 01-01-2014
    heyyall
    Me too

• 01-02-2014
    BlackMamba2012
    :lol: Ok i want one now. I went put a down payment on one Trek gonna start building more in February they said to put a down payment to get in line.:D
  • 01-03-2014
    Way2ManyBikes
    Trek Fat bike
    They still have a couple frames available. You could start building one right now
  • 01-03-2014
    gravitylover
    Or you could come to NYC and pick one up at my shop...
  • 01-03-2014
    heyyall
    Trek Fat bike
    There are bikes left in MN too.
  • 01-03-2014
    Way2ManyBikes
    Trek Fat bike
    Do you know the name of the shop
  • 01-03-2014
    heyyall
    Quote:

Do you know the name of the shop

MN or NYC?

If MN, check the cities. Penn Cycles was doing several builds. These are advertised at a crazy good price.
    Trek Farley - Sram X7 Custom Build #3 Basic - Penn Cycle for Bikes. Trek Bicycles, Cervelo, Haro, Electra, Pivot and BH Bikes

In Rochester, MN, Rochester Cycling had a medium left (I think)
    Rochester Cycling
  • 01-03-2014
    BlackMamba2012
    Quote:

They still have a couple frames available. You could start building one right now

Trust me i asked but no XL frames left :thumbsup: be nice to build it up.
  • 01-08-2014
    Way2ManyBikes
    Quote:

Originally Posted by shoo View Post
    Yes: 490MM

Shoo - how did you find this measurement ?
  • 01-08-2014
    shoo
    Originally I got it from Trek.

Quote:

Shoo - how did you find this measurement ?

• 01-09-2014
    Way2ManyBikes
    So where exactly do I measure ?

Is the measurement taken from exactly where the race sits to the axle center ??

Edit - The Measurements are in fact 490mm with a 46mm offset
  • 01-10-2014
    BlackMamba2012
    Hey can someone tell me if the front derailleur mounts on the frame with one bolt or 2 kinda hard to tell in the pics frame has 2 mounting bolt holes. Just need to know what type Shimano SLX derailleur i need to get.
    Im thinking it takes this one
    Shimano M676-D Front Derailleur > Components > Drivetrain > Front Derailleurs | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
  • 01-10-2014
    crazybeach
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackMamba2012 View Post
    Hey can someone tell me if the front derailleur mounts on the frame with one bolt or 2 kinda hard to tell in the pics frame has 2 mounting bolt holes. Just need to know what type Shimano SLX derailleur i need to get.
    Shimano M676-D Front Derailleur > Components > Drivetrain > Front Derailleurs | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Two bolts get the low direct mount version
  • 01-11-2014
    shoo
    As crazybeach said it is two bolts. The technical term is E2 type. You can use a standard E type but you will need to remove the BB plate. The derailleur you referenced is a direct mount.

Steven

Quote:

• 01-11-2014
    gravitylover
    Quote:

Trust me i asked but no XL frames left :thumbsup: be nice to build it up.

XL complete could have your name on it. pm me...
  • 01-14-2014
    Hubbs
    Hello, Can anyone tell me if it's possible to put 'custom' 29er wheels in the Farley?
    Maybe it's not possible with the extra bar in the fork, and with the narrow space in the back (front derailleur)?
  • 01-14-2014
    Way2ManyBikes
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hubbs View Post
    Hello, Can anyone tell me if it's possible to put 'custom' 29er wheels in the Farley?
    Maybe it's not possible with the extra bar in the fork, and with the narrow space in the back (front derailleur)?

Since mine is apart I will test fit it tonight
  • 01-14-2014
    Hubbs
    Ok. Thx!
  • 01-14-2014
    Way2ManyBikes
    On a side note, I should have the Salsa Bear Paw fork this week.
  • 01-15-2014
    Way2ManyBikes
    Trek Fat bike
    Plenty of room for 29'r wheels

• 01-21-2014
    BlackMamba2012
    Do the Avid brakes do well on these bikes just curious i had avid brakes on my rumblefish and they lacked the stopping power and faded bad. Should i upgrade them to Slx. What size are the rotors? Thanks
  • 01-22-2014
    Way2ManyBikes
    Quote:

Do the Avid brakes do well on these bikes just curious i had avid brakes on my rumblefish and they lacked the stopping power and faded bad. Should i upgrade them to Slx. What size are the rotors? Thanks

So far no problems. However I will need to bleed the rear brake as I can tell there is an air bubble in it.

More importantly I doubt your going to see brake fade with these as you really never get going fast enough in the snow to have to worry about that.
  • 01-22-2014
    Way2ManyBikes
    Trek Fat bike
    Couple new parts have arrived

• 01-22-2014
    BlackMamba2012
    What size chain rings u putting on it ? Nice Salsa Carbon fork u got. Just found out today that my bike shop had got the bike in there trek order coming next month so its been built. :p Those C-Chain guides work great i got 2 of them on 2 of my bikes.
  • 01-22-2014
    Way2ManyBikes
    Trek Fat bike
    The plan is to put a 30 on the front and the the one up components 42 for the rear when they become available.

And kudos on the new bike coming in

• 01-22-2014
    shoo
    Not too bad. Thanks!

Quote:

The plan is to put a 30 on the front and the the one up components 42 for the rear when they become available.

And kudos on the new bike coming in

• 01-22-2014
    heyyall
    Trek Fat bike
    Looking good :thumbsup:
  • 01-22-2014
    BlackMamba2012
    So your going 1x10 on it?
    Dang that fork is light.
    Just bought Slx Brakes with ice tech rotors for 200bucks :D
  • 01-23-2014
    Way2ManyBikes
    Trek Fat bike
    The plan is to try a 30th tooth up front and see if my legs can handle it over the winter. Come early spring it will be a true 1 x 10 set.

and here are the new wheels

• 01-23-2014
    BlackMamba2012
    Holy Shizz thoes are bad ass carbon wheels how much the run ya?
  • 01-24-2014
    gravitylover
    Blingy hoops ya got there. I have the same question ^^
  • 01-24-2014
    BlackMamba2012
    :arf:Trek shipped mine yesterday i get it Thursday next week.
  • 01-24-2014
    Way2ManyBikes
    Trek Fat bike
    That's awesome. Your going to love this bike !
  • 01-27-2014
    BlackMamba2012
    :rolleyes:Gezzz three more days of waiting til bike gets here.
  • 01-28-2014
    BlackMamba2012
    Anyone know about the Carver Transfat; fork is it Air spring or coil spring for the dampening.
  • 01-28-2014
    shiggy
    Trek Fat bike
    Quote:

Anyone know about the Carver Transfat; fork is it Air spring or coil spring for the dampening.

the spring type is not the damping, or make it wet.
  • 01-28-2014
    BlackMamba2012
    Is it a Air Fork of Spring fork is what i mean?
  • 01-28-2014
    Way2ManyBikes
    Trek Fat bike
    I have been watching one on eBay here are the details

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • 01-28-2014
    Way2ManyBikes
    Trek Fat bike
    I forgot to mention there are going to be a few new light weight suspension forks by summer

• 01-28-2014
    BlackMamba2012
    Its Air searched a few threads here.

Also found this interesting one for half the price-good if u had full suspension fatty bit big for the Farley
    Trixxxy Fat Air 4" fork, Risse Racing Technology Online Store

Guess i ll wait and see how many more companies come out with new forks since fat bikes are alot more popular now :D
  • 01-29-2014
    Way2ManyBikes
    Make sure you find a fork that allows you to convert your existing salsa 3 hubs
  • 01-29-2014
    BlackMamba2012
    Quote:

Make sure you find a fork that allows you to convert your existing salsa 3 hubs

Curious what size axle is on the front that come on it from trek?
  • 01-29-2014
    Way2ManyBikes
    Trek Fat bike
    9mm x 135
  • 01-29-2014
    shiggy
    Trek Fat bike
    Quote:

9mm x 135

I think you mean 10x135
  • 02-15-2014
    BlackMamba2012
    Way2manybikes so how u liking that new fork notice any big differences like handling improve on the bike?
  • 02-15-2014
    Way2ManyBikes
    Trek Fat bike
    The fork has made a huge difference. My hands no longer go numb and I don't feel like the bike is beating my upper body up.

It's also less twitchy on the trail which is welcome. I think it's one of the best upgraded I've done less the wheels.
  • 02-19-2014
    Way2ManyBikes
    Quote:

Way2manybikes so how u liking that new fork notice any big differences like handling improve on the bike?

I swapped the seat out for Sunday's ride (same as my other bikes) and wow what a difference. It also dropped a 1/2 pound off the bike. However that was not the goal, the goal was to find a seat that was really comfortable and it was much better.
  • 02-19-2014
    BlackMamba2012
    Yah my seat sucks after 4 hours of riding on it. I got a WTB speed v saddle coming see how it works out.
  • 02-24-2014
    Way2ManyBikes
    Trek Fat bike
    Stopped by Eddy's bike shop in North Olmsted, Ohio today and they had 3 Farley's.

He said he had 3 more in the warehouse
  • 02-24-2014
    2FewDaysOnTrail
    Trek Fat bike

I've been riding my Trek Farely for several weeks now and I love it. I'm glad I went with more of a racing geometry. It was the right choice for me since I'll probably ride it on Single Track the majority of the time, especially when conditions won't allow a regular mountain bike. I don't see me putting racks and bags on it and going on a journey anytime soon. 3.8" tires seem so massive right now that I can't imagine bigger.

The first 5 rides were on snow and I loved it. Yesterday was my first ride on Frozen Single Track and I had a blast. The trail I rode has several tough, rocky, rooty climbs that I usually cannot clean without dabbing my foot. The Farely cleaned all of those sections with almost no effort. The traction of the 3.8 Knards was incredible. Especially on fast off camber downhill turns. I was riding with others on hard tail 29ers and had no trouble keeping up. They would pull away on flat sections but I would catch up on technical climbs and descents.

I agree that the aluminum fork might be kind of harsh. However I found that the tire dampened it. I ride a rigid Niner Air Carbon a lot so the rigid Farely wasn't bad at all with that big ol tire. If I was going to upgrade the fork it would be for weight reduction not harshness. I upgraded the bars and seat post to some Niner RDO carbons which further took the shock out of the ride. As far as the seat goes, I thought it was comfy. However I ride a Tioga Spider solid plastic seat on a couple of my bikes with no problems.

In all, I probably should have been more patient and built up a Farely Frame with components of my choice but I'm happy with my purchase so far and since I didn't know much about fatbikes, this will give me one to experiment with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • 02-24-2014
    Way2ManyBikes
    Trek Fat bike
    Wow stunning picture

• 02-24-2014
    BlackMamba2012
    Good to hear another happy Farley owner :) i have been ridding mine alot ;definitely took a little getting used too.
  • 06-17-2014
    Robg68
    Trek Fat bike
    2015 Trek Farley. Talked to the owner of my LBS today and he showed me that Trek is going to have 2 different Farley models this year, a 6 and an 8. The 8 comes with the Bluto suspension fork and the 6 with a ridged fork. The 8 also has some better components. The 6 is around $1700 and the 8 $3000.

My current bike--2014 Trek Fuel EX 8 29er.
  • 06-17-2014
    Way2ManyBikes
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robg68 View Post
    2015 Trek Farley. Talked to the owner of my LBS today and he showed me that Trek is going to have 2 different Farley models this year, a 6 and an 8. The 8 comes with the Bluto suspension fork and the 6 with a ridged fork. The 8 also has some better components. The 6 is around $1700 and the 8 $3000.

Buy the "8" with the Bluto, the Bluto is awesome !!
  • 06-17-2014
    Robg68
    Trek Fat bike
    I'm going with the 6. My Fuel is my main bike, the fat bike is just for screwing around. Plus the 6 is $1300 cheaper. If I decide at a later time to put the Bluto on I can do it myself a lot cheaper.

• 08-22-2014
    beavermintz
    29+ on Trek Farley?
    Will the Farley fit 29+ wheels e.g rabbit hole with 3.0 knards? Thanks
  • 08-22-2014
    Way2ManyBikes
    There is a Picture of me stuffing a set of 29" wheels in the Farley and they did fit but honestly I have been riding mine with the 4" tires and they work perfectly.