Trek Fat bike

Printable View

• 08-12-2013
    GnarBrahWyo
    26 lb? I will believe it when I see it on a scale! I saw a guy riding with $10k titanium Blacksheep that weighed 25 lbs.
  • 08-12-2013
    Guitar Ted
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    26 lb? I will believe it when I see it on a scale! I saw a guy riding with $10k titanium Blacksheep that weighed 25 lbs.

I hear ya. The only images I've seen of this bike are of small frame sizes. Can't imagine an all aluminum bike with a 2 X 10 drivetrain weighing less than last year's Salsa Beargrease, but we'll see.
  • 08-13-2013
    Velobike
    Quote:

All of my expensive Ti bike frames are heavier than their much cheaper Aluminium equivalents, and I wouldn't be surprised to find that it is the same with fatbike frames.
  • 08-13-2013
    vikb
    Quote:

26 lb? I will believe it when I see it on a scale!

+1 - we are still at the vapour-data stage where the marketing/press folks can say anything without having to worry about reality biting them in the butt.
  • 08-13-2013
    SmooveP
    I spent big $ to get my fatbike down to 27 lbs. If it comes in at that weight/price, I will pout like a little girl.
  • 08-13-2013
    GnarBrahWyo
    I am not saying it's impossible to get an alloy bike at ~$2500 down to 26lbs, but it's really unprecedented. Would be great for cycling if it were true, but as it stands I am skeptical. Does anyone know where that rumor came from?
  • 08-13-2013
    Stopbreakindown
    Trek is making 800 complete Farleys and 200 frame sets, so a little bird tells me.
  • 08-13-2013
    Velobike
    Quote:

I am not saying it's impossible to get an alloy bike at ~$2500 down to 26lbs, but it's really unprecedented. Would be great for cycling if it were true, but as it stands I am skeptical. Does anyone know where that rumor came from?

Shouldn't be too hard - I've got nowhere near $2,500 in this one.

• 08-13-2013
    GnarBrahWyo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    Shouldn't be too hard - I've got nowhere near $2,500 in this one.

Looks like a single speed with smooth tread. Not very useful in Wyoming. It's definitely possible, but I am skeptical until I hear something official on weights/specs.
  • 08-14-2013
    Guitar Ted
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Stopbreakindown View Post
    Trek is making 800 complete Farleys and 200 frame sets, so a little bird tells me.

My boss is at Trek World, said only 500 would be made. I've read that from another Trek world attendee as well. Could be they upped the number on the spot due to demand, but I've never seen the "800 Farleys" number quoted anywhere else. (<==HA! Almost like a phone # 1-800-Farley!)

Velobike's example here isn't relative. The Farley will have a full drivetrain. The comparison to the Beargrease aluminum bike is a better one. That bike weighed 28+ lbs with a similar build.
  • 08-14-2013
    Guitar Ted
    Confirmed from Trek World: The Farley weighs 29lbs. No size given for that weight.
  • 08-14-2013
    GnarBrahWyo
    Haha I got a friend from my LBS there now. I might be able to get some details soon.
  • 08-14-2013
    CJones
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    Confirmed from Trek World: The Farley weighs 29lbs. No size given for that weight.

It's only 3 pounds, but 26 sounds sooo much better than 29...
  • 08-14-2013
    buckfiddious
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CJones View Post
    It's only 3 pounds, but 26 sounds sooo much better than 29...

Considering you can knock off a pound or so just swapping tubes, that's pretty nice.
  • 08-14-2013
    Gizzard75
    I cant see how a few pounds matters when it comes to fatties? But then I have only been riding one for a few days :D
  • 08-14-2013
    buckfiddious
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gizzard75 View Post
    I cant see how a few pounds matters when it comes to fatties? But then I have only been riding one for a few days :D

As far as I can tell, it really doesn't matter at all. But you gotta spend that money on something...
  • 08-14-2013
    damnitman
    29 pounds is nearly 12% more than 26...if your boss offered you a 12% raise would you say no? Or how 'bout if he/she said you were getting a 12% pay-cut, would you say "Ya sure, ya betcha!"?

It's a matter of perspective
  • 08-14-2013
    CJones
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gizzard75 View Post
    I cant see how a few pounds matters when it comes to fatties?

It does and it doesn't...

If you were in the market for a new fat bike and the Specialized FatBoy Expert and the Trek Farley were both spec'd with nice parts and were the same price BUT the Trek was almost 5 pounds lighter it might matter.

It looks like they'll be around the same weight and price anyway.
  • 08-14-2013
    Guitar Ted
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CJones View Post
    It does and it doesn't...

If you were in the market for a new fat bike and the Specialized FatBoy Expert and the Trek Farley were both spec'd with nice parts and were the same price BUT the Trek was almost 5 pounds lighter it might matter.

It looks like they'll be around the same weight and price anyway.

But weight isn't everything. The Specialized will be a 190mm rear and will be able to handle Buds and Lous. The Trek is spec'ed for 4" tires. Big difference there for some folks.

2015 will bring the Trek/Bontrager rims and tires. Then things might get a little more interesting.
  • 08-14-2013
    SmooveP
    Weight makes a difference. My 27 lb fatbike feels a lot different than my 38 lb Pugs. It climbs better, is easier to steer, bunnyhop and loft the front wheel. 26 lbs is getting close to the lower limit for a geared fatbike. It can get pretty expensive to go from 29 to 26 lbs, assuming you've already done the "easy" things like tires, rims and tubes. A 26 lb fatbike for $2500 would be a real achievement at this point.
  • 08-14-2013
    alias33
    $2700 price point is what I'm hearing on the streets
  • 08-15-2013
    Gizzard75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    Weight makes a difference. My 27 lb fatbike feels a lot different than my 38 lb Pugs. It climbs better, is easier to steer, bunnyhop and loft the front wheel. 26 lbs is getting close to the lower limit for a geared fatbike. It can get pretty expensive to go from 29 to 26 lbs, assuming you've already done the "easy" things like tires, rims and tubes. A 26 lb fatbike for $2500 would be a real achievement at this point.

I rode my moonlander to work today (26.2 mi)- I dont know how much the fattarse weighs but it took me 20 minutes longer than what my hardtail MTB did it in and 45 min longer than my rode bike-

I'll take that 12% weight reduction now!! And a new seat because the stock one sucks.
  • 08-15-2013
    GnarBrahWyo
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alias33 View Post
    $2700 price point is what I'm hearing on the streets

$2700? The FatBoy is cheaper, almost as light, and is able to run 5 inch tires. No reason to be interested in a Farley now...I think those of us who use fat bikes as a way to stay in shape in the winter, a heavier Surly might suffice just fine.
  • 08-15-2013
    ~gomez~
  • 08-15-2013
    duggus
    I like the the internal cable routing on the Farley. I think with the weight and build - this is a really good contender. I'm still curious to see if that 2700 price point is their top model and then they will have a lower base model. Price does seem very high.

Not everyone needs a fatter-fat bike. I bought my Moonlander because I don't have any dedicated single track where I live... so I am always riding my own path in fresh snow... and muddy ATV trails in summer. So the extra float is warranted. Now, when I go to the metro and ride the groomed/packed singletrack - there is NO need for a 4.8" tire... hell, some people ride their normal mountain bikes successfully on the trails. So I think this was a good call on Trek's part. And by the 170 rear I'm guessing you could still squeeze a BFL in there just like on a Mukluk.
  • 08-15-2013
    GnarBrahWyo
    I just wish Surly would make some alloy fat bikes. I don't see how the desirable riding characteristics of steel frames would come through on a fat bike.
  • 08-15-2013
    vikb
    Quote:

I just wish Surly would make some alloy fat bikes. I don't see how the desirable riding characteristics of steel frames would come through on a fat bike.

Surly's alloy bikes are available now - they have a Salsa label on them. ;)

Surly has never made an AL bike and are unlikely to start anytime soon. Despite the big tires these are rigid bikes and a rigid steel frame is a good thing. It's not hard to out ride whatever minimal suspension benefit a fatbike tire provides if your trails are rocky, rooty and chunky.
  • 08-15-2013
    bme107
    What is the idea behind that lower brace in the fork below the crown? Seems like a place for snow and mud to build up.
  • 08-15-2013
    vaultbrad
    I bet that that brace is a stiffener. The longer legs combined with how much grab these tires can produce could make for lots of flex in the fork blades. That brace can stiffen things up a bit.

Guesses.
  • 08-15-2013
    DukeNeverwinter
    Re: Trek Fat bike
    Should be just under 2500 msrp ;-)

I may just get a frame and make it a 29+
  • 08-15-2013
    GnarBrahWyo
    Suspension corrected frame means eventually there will probably be a fork option for this. Still more expensive and less versatile than the Specialized Fat Boy.
  • 08-16-2013
    bme107
    Quote:

Originally Posted by vaultbrad View Post
    I bet that that brace is a stiffener. The longer legs combined with how much grab these tires can produce could make for lots of flex in the fork blades. That brace can stiffen things up a bit.

Guesses.

I would think that you could just build the legs from different thickness/shape tubes to accomplish the same thing. Seems like an afterthought.
  • 08-16-2013
    Drevil
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    I would think that you could just build the legs from different thickness/shape tubes to accomplish the same thing. Seems like an afterthought.

They did the same thing on the Sawyer.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_YKvQu4SLUX...yer_angle_.jpg
  • 08-16-2013
    vikb
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bme107 View Post

They could have since all the other fat forks out there do just fine without a brace.

It looks like a stylistic flourish to make their bikes look unique along the lines of GT's triple triangle and Surly's TT brace.

Trek may not have thought that some folks would like to throw some 29+ Knard/Rabbit Holes in their fatbikes for the summer.
  • 08-17-2013
    buckfiddious
    Quote:

Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    They could have since all the other fat forks out there do just fine without a brace.

It looks like a stylistic flourish to make their bikes look unique along the lines of GT's triple triangle and Surly's TT brace.

Trek may not have thought that some folks would like to throw some 29+ Knard/Rabbit Holes in their fatbikes for the summer.

Honestly, the number of people who actually do that are probably pretty close to the number of people who actually need surly's ridiculous rear facing dropouts. I seriously doubt it's an issue.

Years ago when I was still riding motorcycles, I'd see people saying "Well, I was totally going to buy the (insert $20k european sportbike here) but then they switched to dunlop tires and that was it, I said no way and I bought the ($10k) Honda..."

In other words, if that's all that's keeping you from buying a bike, you were never going to buy that bike anyway.
  • 08-17-2013
    vikb
    Quote:

Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post
    In other words, if that's all that's keeping you from buying a bike, you were never going to buy that bike anyway.

+1 - if folks care about running bigger tires, 29er or 29+ wheels, mud clearance, etc... they'll just buy a different bike.

There will for sure be people that don't know about these factors or don't care. Thing is like Surly's dropouts having clearance in your fatbike frame for bigger wheels/rubber isn't always appreciated or on your mind when you buy the bike, but down the road you may be surprised to find yourself wanting to run a SS setup, IGH or larger rim and tire.

It seems like one of the most common type of questions in this forum start with "...Can I fit XXX in my XXX frame?"
  • 09-04-2013
    spaniardclimber
    Any more info? Trek wasn't at Eurobike so I couldn't ask. It seems that is has through axle rear but 9mm qr front? is that right?
  • 09-04-2013
    duggus
    Quote:

Originally Posted by spaniardclimber View Post
    Any more info? Trek wasn't at Eurobike so I couldn't ask. It seems that is has through axle rear but 9mm qr front? is that right?

This is the only article I have seen lately. Trek World Sneak Peeks: Trek Farley, Trek District Steel, Trek toys, and more
  • 09-15-2013
    crazybeach
    1 Attachment(s)
    Trek Farley
    These are the specs on the bike coming directly from trek. MSRP is $2629.99.

Attachment 832222
  • 09-15-2013
    spaniardclimber
    Pretty steep, it was supposed to be in the $1700 area..
  • 09-15-2013
    duggus
    Re: Trek Fat bike
    Yeah I think that must be an error. No way the complete is worth over 2k.
  • 09-15-2013
    crazybeach
    1 Attachment(s)
    Might not be worth that but that's what their charging.

Attachment 832258
  • 09-15-2013
    buckfiddious
    Quote:

Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Yeah I think that must be an error. No way the complete is worth over 2k.

Why not? in theory it weighs the same as a carbon Beargrease. Why not charge the same price?
  • 09-15-2013
    blum585
    Quote:

Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post
    Why not? in theory it weighs the same as a carbon Beargrease. Why not charge the same price?

Because it's not carbon, and if this thing had 2.0" tires they could not charge more than $1899, but because it's fat there is a $800 up charge - Why? Because they can apparently. Its stupid.
  • 09-15-2013
    RocktonRider
    They can charge anything they want, but they aren't going to sell many at that price with all the other options available. The general lack of interest on this board is pretty telling...
  • 09-15-2013
    rjedoaks
    It appears to be sold out
  • 09-15-2013
    crazybeach
    It just shows sild out because shops can't order until October, once October hits it will show as available.
  • 09-15-2013
    blunderbuss
    Quote:

Originally Posted by crazybeach View Post
    It just shows sild out because shops can't order until October, once October hits it will show as available.

Sold Out typically shows once all expected units are spoken for via b/o. The lack of the add to cart button makes that pretty clear. Although more may become available if any dealers pass, at this point, if a shop hasn't already put it on backorder, it's a longshot.
  • 09-15-2013
    crazybeach
    I've been watching since release of bike and they never had more than zero.
  • 09-15-2013
    blunderbuss
    They never show stock numbers until they are actually in the warehouses, and in this case, they likely will never show more than zero. They can be backordered at any time until they are sold out- it looks like your shop has 2 17.5s spoken for. The bikes are obviously still in the pipeline, and when they hit, they'll be shipped to the dealers who backordered them.