mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Trek Farley 9.9 or Specialized Fatboy s-works

Looking to upgrade my current Fatboy Comp Carbon to either the Trek Farley 9.9 or the Fatboy s-works. Anyone spent considerable time on the Farley 9.9?

The only compelling reason for me to go down the Trek path is the option of the 27.5 wheels, but I keep seeing posts about folks falling back to 26x5 shortly after going to the 9.9 at least for snow which makes sense. I do like the idea of 27.5 for summer riding and I suspect if I go that route my 29er may never see the trail again...:-)

My biggest worry about the Farley 9.9 is the stronghold dropouts...I just can't image how that does not become a problem over time. Either from slight alignment issue after adjustment to movement from heavy torque. I rode a 9.6 at a LBS and heard a ton of creaking from the backend when hammering it. Yes it could be anything in the backend or just a slight adjustment, but it confirmed my fears...thus this request to investigate.

PS - my current Fatboy will hit the classifieds soon after my decision :-)

mtbr member
    There is another post that compares the Farley to the Fatboy. The Farley is a much snappier feeling bike and likes to be tossed around on the trail. It's more of a trail bike so you will enjoy riding it year round where the fatboy seems to feel slow in the single track from what I've read.

Btw I own two 14 Farley's and I am building a 17 9.6 with 27.5 fat wheels to see if I like the way they ride.

One of my Farley's is set up 27.5+ with WTB Scrappers and 3.5 fat b Nimble tires and it will stay that was as it's stupid fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B
    14 FarleyBlue,Bluto,i9-Hed,4.JumboJims
    14 FarleyBlack,Jackalope
    17 Farley 9.6 Under Construction

mtbr member

This is the thread

Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B
    14 FarleyBlack,Jackalope

mtbr member
    Farley 7 vs Fatboy

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...0&share_type=t

Marty
    12 JamisDakar650B
    14 FarleyBlack,Jackalope

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Anyone have extended experience with stronghold dropouts on the farley? Really concerned about alignment and noise issues coming from it.

mtbr member
    Isn't the Fatboy comp Carbon the same frame as the S-Works? Why not just upgrade the components and wheels

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rgwatson View Post
    The only compelling reason for me to go down the Trek path is the option of the 27.5 wheels, but I keep seeing posts about folks falling back to 26x5 shortly after going to the 9.9 at least for snow which makes sense. I do like the idea of 27.5 for summer riding and I suspect if I go that route my 29er may never see the trail again...:-)
    I'm not sure how 27.5 fat is compelling, its been out for almost two years now and only has 4 tires available, three of which are from Trek. For a less than 1/2" gain in ride height, you get "exclusivity" with the gotta have its, a 4.5" tire that doesn't fit in a Bluto, a greater likelyhood of rim strikes at low psi, and very limited tire options.

If you like the way your current Fatboy handles, go with the Fatboy Carbon. If you think, "Man this Fatboy is way too stable" and want to trade stability for quicker steering go with the Farley.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert
    '15 Crossrip Ltd