Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I ended up putting a 12-50 SunRace cassette on my 5 and it was a straight bolt on job,no mods needed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerNut View Post
    I ended up putting a 12-50 SunRace cassette on my 5 and it was a straight bolt on job,no mods needed.
    A 12-50? Is that a 11 speed casette? Did not know you could install a 11 speed casette on a 10 speed set up...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    My mistake, I checked the box and it is an 11-46t cassette. For whatever reason 12-50 was in my head.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerNut View Post
    My mistake, I checked the box and it is an 11-46t cassette. For whatever reason 12-50 was in my head.
    Good to know the 11-46 fit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    11 speed fits fine on the farley 5 just put my xt build on it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Well looks like I missed the chance to pick up a 2018 Farley, seem to be sold out everywhere even remotely close to me in my size...

Seeing as I have to wait anyway, what are the odds that the Farley is going to get a refresh for 2019?

mtbr member
    I was at the Winter Expo and Trek and few others had their demo fleets. I didn't look closely but Trek had a bunch of 9.8's and that's it. Seemed odd. Maybe there is some sort of inventory blow out and something new coming?
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Feb 2016

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Anyone got a hint on when the 3.8 gnarwhals in 27.5 will be out

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesaboy View Post
    Anyone got a hint on when the 3.8 gnarwhals in 27.5 will be out

Jan 11th
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    I have a 2017 9.8 and I have a 34 up front. I believe the 2018 is the same frame. That's the biggest that fits and it must be flipped for it to fit.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Which configuration of chainring did you flip? Iím looking to replace my 30 on an Eagle drivetrain. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Rideon View Post
    Which configuration of chainring did you flip? Iím looking to replace my 30 on an Eagle drivetrain. Thanks

It was raceface cinch 34t regular (not oval) on a cinch turbine crank with 11 speed Shimano drivetrain.

mtbr member
    is the down tube bumper for mastodon stick on? or its bolted to the frame?
    17 Lynskey Fatskey
    07 Kona Stab
    14 Specialized Fatboy
    04 Santa Cruz V10

My Parts for sale link

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by akacoke View Post
    is the down tube bumper for mastodon stick on? or its bolted to the frame?
    Double sided tape.

mtbr member
    I may sell my 2018 Farley 5 MEDIUM. Swapped to 1x11 sram nx and converted to tubeless.

CAChapman27@gmail.com
    "Never mistake motion for action."

"If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Hi all, I recently purchased two Trek Farley 5 2018 (one for me, one for my son).
    After about a month of use, I broke a spoke on the rear wheel. Riding almost daily for 10-15km on snow packed trails. No roots, no rocks and no jumping. Went to the bike shop, got it fixed and they told me it was unusual for a spoke to break so early. They said it could be a bad wheel and if other spokes were breaking, theyíd ask for a replacement wheel from Trek.
    Six days later, another spoke broke. Replaced it. Six days later, a third spoke broke. Replaced it and they ordered a new wheel. The three spokes broke exactly at the same place (where the thread of the spoke is meeting the thread of the nipple). A week later, just before bringing my bike for the wheel replacement, I broke another spoke, but on the front wheel! Same as the others, broke in the nipple at the junction of the threadsÖ
    Here I am. Is this a common issue or am I just unlucky? My sonís bike didnít have any issues yet, but heís riding way less than me (once per week, so about 5-6 rides in total so far, compared to my 30 rides) and he weight about 100 pounds (Iím 175lbs).
    Iím afraid to use my sonís bike while the other one is at the shop as I may end up breaking all his spokes. Iím also not very confident about how much the new wheel will stand the test of timeÖ I know wheels have a two-year warranty, but I canít keep losing the bike for a few days or paying to have spokes replaced, or wait for yet another replacement wheel to be shipped. These wheels should be built to withstand the usual ride for many seasons (will only use in the winter, I have a full-suspension bike for the other seasons). I have been mountain biking for 25 years and I only broke a handful of spokes in all this time, mostly because the wheels were getting old and the spokes would snap in the ďJĒ bend.
    I am now thinking of paying to get both wheels rebuilt by a professional with quality spokes, but Iíd like to know if others are experiencing similar issues or if it was a fluke. Thanks,

mtbr member
    I'm on my second Farley and haven't broken a single spoke....and I weigh 215.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6 with Lauf
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Despite the wheel issues, still like the Farley. I just hope I'll be able to trust it soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek Farley 2018 Models - post your news here!-bd3f0bc1-0d2c-4c22-baee-57064804d1c0.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Got my first ever fat bike ride in yesterday. Demoed a 2018 Trek Farley 9.8. What a machine! Everything else I tried felt like what I assumed fatbiking was going to feel like - slow, boring, chore. But the Farley really rips!
    The only negative I could find was the head angle, anyone know if you can slack it out?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DevinciSean View Post
    Got my first ever fat bike ride in yesterday. Demoed a 2018 Trek Farley 9.8. What a machine! Everything else I tried felt like what I assumed fatbiking was going to feel like - slow, boring, chore. But the Farley really rips!
    The only negative I could find was the head angle, anyone know if you can slack it out?
    Mastodon with 120mm travel.

mtbr member

9.6 with next bars and seatpost, gnarwhals studded front and back.

Hola this thing rips now! It was fast with the barbs but was afraid to push it on the singletrack. Now i can turn hard, climb and more with out spinning out or washing out. Thought the gnarwhals with the weight and chunk would be slow but at 5f6r it was flying last night.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post

9.6 with next bars and seatpost, gnarwhals studded front and back.

Hola this thing rips now! It was fast with the barbs but was afraid to push it on the singletrack. Now i can turn hard, climb and more with out spinning out or washing out. Thought the gnarwhals with the weight and chunk would be slow but at 5f6r it was flying last night.
    Sweet!

I like the Barbi's but agree they aren't the most confidence inspiring, especially on the front.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6 with Lauf
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I love the Barbi's on groomed singletrack. However I went to Spirit Mountain in Duluth, MN last weekend to do their groomed downhill trails and envied the gnarwhals or similar grippy tire...I was washing out everywhere.
    Twin Cities

Errywhere: 2018 Trek Farley 9.6
    Road: 2007 Raleigh Cadent 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MNRider008 View Post
    I love the Barbi's on groomed singletrack. However I went to Spirit Mountain in Duluth, MN last weekend to do their groomed downhill trails and envied the gnarwhals or similar grippy tire...I was washing out everywhere.
    I feel like the hodags dont wash out as easy as the barbs. Little more spaced larger knobs and less float to dig in. I had high hopes for the barbs but wash outs and spinning out up hill was rediculous. Going from a farley 6 to my 9.6 i was not able to push the new bike nearly as hard.

mtbr member
    Is this a common issue or am I just unlucky?

I work in a Trek shop and have not seen this issue. Think you may have gotten a bad wheel or even 2 bad wheels. Bad run of rims? Bad run of spokes? Bad build? To short of spoke? Could be anything. You should maybe run your sons bike a bit to see if the same thing happens. I don't think it will but who knows. If his has the same problem you should get it resolved now instead of later on the trail.

Been running my 26 mulefuts for 1.25 years on and off with no issues. Been some pretty hard miles on it to. I weigh in at 175.

BTW I went to 27.5 X 3.8 for the dry. The bike rips with that config! Still run the 26x 4.7 in the snow.
    2013 Cannondale F29 1 Alloy
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by fishboy316 View Post
    Is this a common issue or am I just unlucky?

Bad run of spokes? Bad build? To short of spoke? Could be anything. You should maybe run your sons bike a bit to see if the same thing happens.
    Did that, broke a spoke on his rear wheel. Called Trek and bike shop, got a solution. Trek already had sent a new rear wheel for my bike, so we'll consider it ok (as it should be). The bike shop will mount new spokes on the remaining three wheels (and will also do the same on the new rear wheel if it ever breaks a spoke in the future). Actually, got the two wheels from my son's bike already mounted last Saturday. Awesome job, larger gauge spokes, it should now last forever. My front wheel will be mounted next Saturday and hopefully this will solve all issues. I sure would have hoped for all wheels to be re-mounted (so I don't have to live with the trust/reliability issue for the remaining wheel), but Trek and the bike shop will support me if it breaks. Seems like a good way to solve my problem. I'll know more at the end of the season.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MNRider008 View Post
    Saw some video of that and not sure if it looked fun or not. What did you think?
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_G View Post
    Saw some video of that and not sure if it looked fun or not. What did you think?
    Honestly it was really cool. I've never mountain biked there in the summer so nothing to compare it to, however I'll definitely be going back.
    Twin Cities

Errywhere: 2018 Trek Farley 9.6
    Road: 2007 Raleigh Cadent 2

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Anyone go back to the 26inch on there 2018s?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by christiancaron View Post
    Did that, broke a spoke on his rear wheel. Called Trek and bike shop, got a solution. Trek already had sent a new rear wheel for my bike, so we'll consider it ok (as it should be). The bike shop will mount new spokes on the remaining three wheels (and will also do the same on the new rear wheel if it ever breaks a spoke in the future). Actually, got the two wheels from my son's bike already mounted last Saturday. Awesome job, larger gauge spokes, it should now last forever. My front wheel will be mounted next Saturday and hopefully this will solve all issues. I sure would have hoped for all wheels to be re-mounted (so I don't have to live with the trust/reliability issue for the remaining wheel), but Trek and the bike shop will support me if it breaks. Seems like a good way to solve my problem. I'll know more at the end of the season.
    Trek does an amazing job taking care of warranty claims. They have covered some things they should not have covered in my experience. Glad there was a resolution to your problem. I still don't get why the spokes were breaking like that.
    2013 Cannondale F29 1 Alloy
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    2018 Farley 9.6
    Has anyone installed 180mm brake rotors, front or rear?
    2018 Farley 9.6 - Eagle X01, XT Brakes
    2017 Salsa PR GX1 - X01, I9/carbon 27.5+
    2017 Surly KM (black) 1x11, 27.5+

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Is the 2018 Farley 7 Mastodon fork interchangeable with the 2018 Farley 5 carbon fork?

I recently bought a Farley 5 and see a new Farley 7 Mastodon take off for a good price. I'll pick it up if it's a direct replacement.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 14EVOHT View Post
    2018 Farley 9.6
    Has anyone installed 180mm brake rotors, front or rear?
    Threw on Shimano XTR brakes and upped the fronts to 180mm with an adaptor.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I updated my old trusted F5(2016) to the new Farley 9.6. Oh my gosh - it's all about stiffness, lightness and fun! I have also the Nextie Black Eagle II carbon (65mm) wheel set. Makes handling so much better.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    ^Video of the DH section...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Iíd like s 7 but only 5 here in UK... gutted

mtbr member

Trek Farley 2018 Models - post your news here!

2019 9.6? I like the color better than my 2018 but nx? Bla...

Also that cassette looks larger than a 42, maybe the made a 11-46 nx cassette?!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post

2019 9.6? I like the color better than my 2018 but nx? Bla...

Also that cassette looks larger than a 42, maybe the made a 11-46 nx cassette?!
    Probably the new Eagle NX, 11-50
    I do like the color, but I prefer the XD driver hubs
    2018 Farley 9.6 - Eagle X01, XT Brakes
    2017 Salsa PR GX1 - X01, I9/carbon 27.5+
    2017 Surly KM (black) 1x11, 27.5+

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 14EVOHT View Post
    Probably the new Eagle NX, 11-50
    I do like the color, but I prefer the XD driver hubs
    I cant imagine how much this weighs. My apex/nx 11-42 on my tcx is heavy. Shifts so well tho... tried to replace it with a sunrace but it was a pos.

XSEAL
    Feb 2018
    I like the haze grey of the '18, though don't mind the new color. Mine with a Mastodon and other mods. New to forum.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek Farley 2018 Models - post your news here!-img_1361.jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12