mtbr member

Trek Farley 2016/2017 opinions/feedback on different wheel sizes

I've a stock 2016 Farley 5 with the HUGE 4.7 Barbs on it and have started to wear these down a bit so will be considering some new tyres soon. Just wondering on other Farley owners experience of going to 27.5 rims with 4"+ tyres and 29ers with 3"+ tyres. Where I live we rarely have snow although I do a little bit of beach riding. I also run a modified 2012 Giant Anthem with 120mm travel as my trail bike. The 29er option does intrigue me as I've never had one and considering a Giant Trance as my next trail bike. I'm also trying to lighten the Farley a bit as it's a bit of a beast. I'm still shocked though that I occasionally get PRs on it on trails that I normally ride the Anthem on. Opinions welcome. My dream upgrades would be a Lauf fork and carbon rims but that might be out of the picture for a while.

2006 Specialized Hardrock Disc
    2012 Giant Anthem X4
    2015 Giant Defy 0
    2016 Trek Farley 5

nOOb
    May 2008
    I also have a 2016 Farley 7 and a full squish 29er and a hardtail 29er. To me the whole point of a fat bike is large volume tires, and your Barbegazis are pretty much the same diameter as a 29" tire or close enough. I just put Jumbo Jim 4.0's on the Farley and while they roll faster and don't quite self-turn as much, a bit of the fun of those bigger volume tires is gone. I would probably put the biggest tires on that Farley I could tubeless and continue to have fun on it.

This place needs an enema
    Other than "a little bit of beach", where do you ride this bike?

29+ has big benefits, but not generally on beaches.

B Fat also has some great benefits, beaches being one of them. But the question remains: where/how do you ride this bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Other than "a little bit of beach", where do you ride this bike?

29+ has big benefits, but not generally on beaches.

B Fat also has some great benefits, beaches being one of them. But the question remains: where/how do you ride this bike?
    Well I take it up to the coast where we holiday. So basically wide open beaches with no-one about and also boggy areas and over disused railway lines. It's great on some of this stuff. I also regularly take it on XC loops and the local trail centres/parks. It's sometimes hard work on the climbs but has great traction and brilliant fun on the descents. I find though in aggressive riding I will burn through brake pads on a fat bike much quicker than an XC/Trail bike. IF I did change the wheels (currently Mulefut 80SL) I think would maybe look at something lighter/narrower).

What's B Fat? Haven't come across this term yet. Is it 3"+? I hear there's also a 26+ thing now! lol

2012 Giant Anthem X4
    2015 Giant Defy 0
    2016 Trek Farley 5

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    I also have a 2016 Farley 7 and a full squish 29er and a hardtail 29er. To me the whole point of a fat bike is large volume tires, and your Barbegazis are pretty much the same diameter as a 29" tire or close enough. I just put Jumbo Jim 4.0's on the Farley and while they roll faster and don't quite self-turn as much, a bit of the fun of those bigger volume tires is gone. I would probably put the biggest tires on that Farley I could tubeless and continue to have fun on it.
    cheers yeah I've been looking at new tyre options. Was thinking of getting the Bontrager Rougarou 26x3.8 but they're a touch expensive. I've tried setting up tubeless once and made a mess of it. Got all the stuff for it now but just haven't found the time to sort it. One thing I can confirm about 4.7" tyres is they are a total magnet for small thorns. I would puncture much more regularly on the fat bike than any other so need to get tubeless sorted ASAP.

2012 Giant Anthem X4
    2015 Giant Defy 0
    2016 Trek Farley 5

nOOb
    May 2008
    Tubeless is pretty easy to set up, if you have the right tools available. You almost absolutely need an air compressor, and the proper rim strips and tape and valves etc. I wouldn't feel bad about paying a shop to do it if they do it properly. I say properly because when I decided to change tires on my bike it was set up as ghetto tubeless, some sort of duck tape, no rim strip, and the presta valve cut out of an old inner tube.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by cr3anmachin3 View Post
    Well I take it up to the coast where we holiday. So basically wide open beaches with no-one about and also boggy areas and over disused railway lines. It's great on some of this stuff. I also regularly take it on XC loops and the local trail centres/parks. It's sometimes hard work on the climbs but has great traction and brilliant fun on the descents. I find though in aggressive riding I will burn through brake pads on a fat bike much quicker than an XC/Trail bike. IF I did change the wheels (currently Mulefut 80SL) I think would maybe look at something lighter/narrower).

What's B Fat? Haven't come across this term yet. Is it 3"+? I hear there's also a 26+ thing now! lol

B Fat is a 27.5" rim with a ~4" tire. Not to be confused with "fat", which assumes 26" rims as you have now.

B Fat might work well for you. Taller wheels with decreased angle of attack will still work well on beaches, but will be substantially more efficient on the climbs where your current wheels/tires feel slow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    B Fat is a 27.5" rim with a ~4" tire. Not to be confused with "fat", which assumes 26" rims as you have now.

B Fat might work well for you. Taller wheels with decreased angle of attack will still work well on beaches, but will be substantially more efficient on the climbs where your current wheels/tires feel slow.
    ah right ok. That's kind of what I was considering. 4.7" tyres are indeed fun but probably overkill for what I'm doing. Regardless once I wear the Barbs down a bit I may go to a 4"/3.8" tyre. It would be nice to get some 650b carbon rims but I'm sure those aren't gonna be cheap especially with fat bike hubs in them.

2012 Giant Anthem X4
    2015 Giant Defy 0
    2016 Trek Farley 5

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    Tubeless is pretty easy to set up, if you have the right tools available. You almost absolutely need an air compressor, and the proper rim strips and tape and valves etc. I wouldn't feel bad about paying a shop to do it if they do it properly. I say properly because when I decided to change tires on my bike it was set up as ghetto tubeless, some sort of duck tape, no rim strip, and the presta valve cut out of an old inner tube.
    yeah I've got all the right gear now paired with an Airshot (great tubeless inflator). First time round I used duct tape and it soaked up sealant/leaked and could never get them to hold pressure. Even with tubeless I wouldn't travel without a spare tube but carrying a spare fat bike tube is a 400g weight penalty I don't want again. Lots of +size tube options out there now that will probably get you out in a pinch. Any recommendations?

2012 Giant Anthem X4
    2015 Giant Defy 0
    2016 Trek Farley 5