Thread: Trails? Fah.

This place needs an enema

Trails? Fah.

Who needs 'em?

Of late, not us.

It seems those whom would have every local trail filled with riders from near and far every waking moment of every day may soon get their wish.

What they don't seem to realize that they are also signing up for is congestion, bad feelings from said congestion, altercations (necessary or not) brought on by Stravassh0les doing what they do, trail widening and braiding, sanitization and re-sanitization, and other sundry results from cramming too many people out there at any given moment.

What will it take to get them to understand the big picture, the error of their ways?

Clearly we have no idea, because they haven't listened to us.

Last week Greg and I both hit the eject button and left the trails entirely. Lots of washes to be ridden, none of them currently occupied.

Silence was noted and appreciated by all, er, both of us.

Aesthetically pleasing slabs and layers were present, um, everywhere.

We carried boats with us on one of these microadventures, but ended up not needing them. Small failure there -- next time we'll go one or two washes further up and hopefully end at moving water.

The beauty of any off-piste adventure is the simple fact that you don't know exactly how things will turn out. Is the wash even rideable? Do pourovers exist? Can they be hiked around, can bikes be passed down, or will we be forced to retreat?

All good questions. The answers can't be googled, and they sure aren't on Strava.

Perhaps someday the idea that a trail has value even it isn't flooded with humanity will catch on.

Locally, that idea seems doubtful but not unpossible.

Until such an eventuality comes to pass, you can have 'em -- we'll be in the washes.

~MC
    Handbuilt wheels: www.LaceMine29.com

mtbr member
    Excellent. That's the whole point of owning a fatbike for me.

I find a length of rope is useful too. Sometimes when you scramble up a bit it's too dicey to carry the bike, so a bit of rope lets you hoist/drag it up after.

I'll have to try this carrying a boat one day.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57Ί36' Highlands, Scotland

The White Jeff W
    Alas 'round these parts the space between the trails is full of trees, weeds and shrubbery.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    I envy you all out west. Hard to find such places out east. It can be done, but typically takes some doing.

mtbr member
    Yep. Seems like every town with good riding is trying to turn themselves into a mountain bike mecca. It's an all out push to make everything more crowded and more like disneyland, with every intersection marked with maps and not a single climb that might discourage a beginner.

Be careful what you wish for...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    This notion is especially important this time of year, while here in the Upper Midwest we wait for trails to dry out and open for the year. There are plenty of places to explore via fatbike without touching a trail. Monster truck over sticks, get muddy, get lost, have fun. You might just find a new path or route you might enjoy more than your local trail. Just be sure to keep Strava off so no one else finds it.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Mikesee just added the term Jeep to his vocabulary...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Alas 'round these parts the space between the trails is full of trees, weeds and shrubbery.
    ^^^This. Not possible where I live either. My choices are designated trails, logging roads or gravel roads.

Trying to ride anywhere else would be futile effort.

Jammin' Econo
    Bikes are fer 'splorin. It's what got me into bikes as a kid, and it hasn't changed in decades of riding bikes since. The fat/plus phenom only rekindled my prime motivation for riding bikes in the first place.

I fully support the development of 'destinations.' It means most people will concentrate there, and there will be less people in the places I prefer to go.

Thanks as always for the pics and inspiration, MC.
    “I dream of a day when my children will live in a world without the shackles of cause and effect.” - S. Colbert

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
    ^^^This. Not possible where I live either. My choices are designated trails, logging roads or gravel roads.

Trying to ride anywhere else would be futile effort.
    Yep. even the deer paths dive into innumerable thickets that are next to impossible to even walk through.

Some seasonal streams can be rideable, but not this time of year. THIS is when they're usually flowing. Late summer/fall is when those tend to dry up enough. But you've gotta hope they're not choked up with logs, and most usually are in several places.

Nah, the urban trails may not be empty, but there are plenty of places I know where you can disappear and not see a soul.

Still, mikesee always does a great job of telling a story with a few words and beautiful pictures.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Venture off the trail where I live and all you get is a thorny face full of multiflora rosa and autumn olive for anyone who knows what that stuff is. Whatever isn't that is endless fallen trees blown over by Hurricane Sandy.

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    The upshot is shade, glorious SPF-1000 shade.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    The upshot is shade, glorious SPF-1000 shade.
    Plus I work nights so I get to do morning rides while everyone else is at work before the heat & humidity get crankin'
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I did a bunch of this last weekend, exploring my future stomping ground, up and down some raw areas, a bit brushy, got thrown a few times. Perfect for fatter tires.

mtbr member
    No offense, but why do you need a fat bike for the desert
    (question mark, damn key board).

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankyone View Post
    You have never thrown a leg over one, have you? Sand, snow, and loose rock all exhibit characteristics that fatter tires excel at handling.

I live a 45 minute drive from 11,000'. 30' of snow per year, rideable from November to May.

And I live *in* the desert, where washes, arroyos, and rideable canyons abound, year-round.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I live a 45 minute drive from 11,000'. 30' of snow per year, rideable from November to May.

And I live *in* the desert, where washes, arroyos, and rideable canyons abound, year-round.
    That's like the description of fat bike heaven!! I don't live at the right place...

As always, thank for sharing and inspiring with your great pics and fat bike adventure tales!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

What did you ride in that area before fat bikes were a thing?

Jammin' Econo
    Said no one who's ridden sand and loose desert rock, ever.
    “I dream of a day when my children will live in a world without the shackles of cause and effect.” - S. Colbert

mtbr member

I was just curious if it was your "go to" bike for everything or the weapon of choice from your quiver and why. I love riding in the desert and your photo presentation was terrific.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    Said no one who's ridden sand and loose desert rock, ever.
    Well so much for the fat bike forum being less testy and snarky than some of the other threads! I stumbled in by mistake and won't make the mistake again.

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Mike, we do have it good! Bike parks, desert, snowmobile trails and more. All in short distance from the front door. Doesn't get better than that!

Crankyone, ya want snarky here's snarky headquarters Observed Trials Bike Forum
    Rather tame here by comparison, just sayin.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

I was just curious if it was your "go to" bike for everything or the weapon of choice from your quiver and why. I love riding in the desert and your photo presentation was terrific.

I have a summer fatbike and one for winter. Winter one has taller/fatter tires, and is a hardtail. Summer one has 3.5" tires and 6" of f/r travel. Either would have worked fine for this trip. Opted for the hardtail, because it has a bigger framebag, and I had a boat stuffed in there.

"Summer" fatbike is typically my go-to ~80% of the year.

Jammin' Econo
    Well so much for the fat bike forum being less testy and snarky than some of the other threads! I stumbled in by mistake and won't make the mistake again.
    Hey - apologies if it came across as "testy." It wasn't meant that way at all. A little snarky? Maybe a little, but lighthearted snark, I assure you. I recognize your question was a sincere and valid one.