mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Trail fatty post Eurobike?

I'm in the process of picking a fat bike for trail riding. Where I live we do get some snow in the winter, but to be realistic I will probably use it more for just normal trail riding without the snow.

What do you think will be most trail oriented, after seeing the bikes at Eurobike?

The On-One Fatty seems like one of the better alternatives, with a high BB height and pretty slack HA. Is there anything else available, or do you think their'll be anything coming close in "bang for buck" even post Eurobike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Someone must have opinions? The spesh and charge cooker maxi looks pretty good but both have steeper head angle than the on one fatty...

Am I too fixated on the angle? Bike will primarily be used for trail rather then snow riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ubergn0men View Post
    ...Am I too fixated on the angle? Bike will primarily be used for trail rather then snow riding.
    Yes.

Take a closer look at the Pugsley - it is grossly under-rated IMO. Simply because it's been around for a while it doesn't mean it's old hat. You can always ring the changes in HA by using other forks. Use your budget to get a really good set of wheels - that and tyre choice makes the biggest difference in a fatbike.

Slack headangles are needed on bikes with front suspension. When you have the suspension fork in its working range, you'll find that the real HA is somewhere around the HA used on the the likes of the Pugsley. There's a reason for that.

If you're not going to fit front suspension, go for a bike with a steeper HA.

(Of course, all this depends how you ride. If you're doing jumps and being "fast" all the time, you may need a different setup. I don't aim to ride fast, but I can cover a satisfactory distance over 24 hours.)
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    Yes.

Take a closer look at the Pugsley - it is grossly under-rated IMO. Simply because it's been around for a while it doesn't mean it's old hat. You can always ring the changes in HA by using other forks. Use your budget to get a really good set of wheels - that and tyre choice makes the biggest difference in a fatbike.

Slack headangles are needed on bikes with front suspension. When you have the suspension fork in its working range, you'll find that the real HA is somewhere around the HA used on the the likes of the Pugsley. There's a reason for that.

If you're not going to fit front suspension, go for a bike with a steeper HA.

(Of course, all this depends how you ride. If you're doing jumps and being "fast" all the time, you may need a different setup. I don't aim to ride fast, but I can cover a satisfactory distance over 24 hours.)
    Okay, that made it clearer! Thanks. I read somewhere the pugs only has like 3.8 tire clearance. I was hoping to atleast be able to run 4.5.

Say the Genesis Caribou which seems like a good value at 1500, but looks to have a pretty long BB-drop. Probably too much for a trail oriented bike (

Trail fatty post Eurobike?-1943-0-full-735142_497199103677932_911074023_n-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Spesh or Fatty you don't need opinions to obscue the facts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Spesh looks great but it won't be available until late 2013. I was going to get the fatty but realized there were too many things I wanted upgraded. Building one from a rolling chassis seems like a hassle, and really not very cost effective.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Re: Trail fatty post Eurobike?

having had the on one fatty for 8 months now the best upgrade i made on the bike was a wolftooth 30t front cog which has gained me about 2 extra climbing gears ,i haven't needed to upgrade anything else its a great bike and worth every penny

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Okay, that made it clearer! Thanks. I read somewhere the pugs only has like 3.8 tire clearance. I was hoping to atleast be able to run 4.5.

Say the Genesis Caribou which seems like a good value at 1500, but looks to have a pretty long BB-drop. Probably too much for a trail oriented bike (

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1943-0-full-735142_497199103677932_911074023_n-2.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	828556
    I can get BFLs into my Pug no problem. Going fatter than 4" is probably unnecessary for trail riding. Certainly I've never lacked for grip or traction on the trail with the Pug especially with Nates on it.

The Moonlander is the even fatter version of the Pug, so if getting the fattest tyre is important, look at the bike they were designed for.

I can't comment on the Genesis - I haven't ridden it, and I don't know any other fatbike rider who has. I didn't think it was available just yet.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member

Big Fat Larrys [narrow for a 4.7" tire] on 82mm rims fit both ends of a Pugs no problem.

The new Special Ed tires are supposed to be 4.6" based on the spec sheet so they should fit as well.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Re: Trail fatty post Eurobike?

Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post

Big Fat Larrys [narrow for a 4.7" tire] on 82mm rims fit both ends of a Pugs no problem.

The new Special Ed tires are supposed to be 4.6" based on the spec sheet so they should fit as well.
    have you got a link for special ed tyres plz i cant find them

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    My advice would be to buy an On One Fatty, swop the inner tubes to lighter ones, and get on wih enjoying fat biking. If you want a custom spec just buy the rolling chassis kit, spend less in total and get the bits you want.

My son has one, and he is really enjoying it. We did a back to back test with my Moonlander and the Fatty out performed the Moonie on BFL's. The Fatty had loads more grip on loose shingle than my BFL's. He took pity on me and bought me a Bud and Lou, which makes the Moonie miles better on loose steep angled shingle on my local beach.

The Fatty is a really good bike and people should stop worrying just because it does not cost twice as much. Carbon forks for it are less than two months away as well.

Brian

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by stesteste View Post
    have you got a link for special ed tyres plz i cant find them

Specialized refer to them as the "Ground Control" tires.. and they won't be available for a while ...
    If you are new to Fatbikes, there is alot of waiting, if you miss a batch of tires they may not be available again for 6 months or more, just the way it goes.