mtbr member

Topeak explorer 29er w/ disc rack on Mukluk Ti

Would the new 29er version of this rack be a fit a on Mukluk?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by HDTVdevil View Post
    Would the new 29er version of this rack be a fit a on Mukluk?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    Funny you should ask. I put a Topeak Explorer w/disc mounts on my 2012 Muk 3 today. I also had a non disc version on my '29er so tried that as well. Either will fit with just a touch of "persuasion". Very good tire clearance and side as well. Notes: 1. The disc mount version can use a bit of bending at the disc mount end, I used a vice and wood blocks to grip the mount while verrrrrry carefully bending it so it was parallel with the braze on when spread. This is a tubing rack so little tolerance for much bending. 2. The 10 inch stainless straps are more than adequate to reach the seat post for the forward brace. I used an old reflector clamp and put a 90 deg twist in the straps to go in the split and put a 5mm bolt thru and clamped it. Salsa makes a purpose built seat post diameter clamp if you want to spend the bucks. The distance from the rack to the seat stay mounts is very long and a set of longer straps would probably be needed. Would not be real strong either with the arc and distance. 3. The disc mount version is wider than the non disc; leading one to explore cutting the block to a thinner dimension. More difficult than it seems as the block is bored to 27/64ths to within a very short distance of the braze on face end, then drilled to 3/16ths to allow the standard 5mm x.8 mm bottle cage/fender/rack screws. A bushing arrangement would probably be needed; some intriguing possibilities with old brake hardware hemi cups, etc. The 27/64ths hole could also be drilled 1/64th over to 7/16 to take a hand built bushing...drilled to 3/16. As a total bonus most every thing I ride has the same 27.2 seat post so swapping the entire rack/seat setup between bikes is a 5 minute job at most! Another intriguing possibility is to use the same disc mount rack on the front only installed "backwards". The 90 deg tang on the "back" end of the rack could bolt directly to the fork. An adaptor would have to be acquired to raise the axle level mounts an inch or two to make the rack level.