mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Tires, Tires,Tires

So I am building up my new 907 slider frame with a carbon O'Beast fork. I am running Rolling Darryl's. I can fit any tire with the exception being a Lou in the back. I tried it today and it's just too close. I can get it in there but everything has to be perfect for frame and chain line clearence (mwod crank). It fits but I like a little wiggle room. So my thoughts are what to do now? I am looking for an all around set up for summer/winter. I was thinking Nate/Bud or bfl/Bud. Also considering bfl/bfl, husker du's or some other combination of the above. Also I am a big Clydesdale type so that may be factor. Price is not important. Please give me some suggestions and let me know any experiences you may have had. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I'm thinking the Husker Du front, Escalator rear combo might be a good one.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    don't forget the devist8er however it's only a 4.0 so perhaps not.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    be nice if you could get huskers in 4.8 = PLease !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    I still think that HuDus are the bext all-round tyre. More grip than a Larry, less rolling resistance than anything else. The Nate has ultimate grip but seems to have a thinner carcass and is "pinged" offline more than a HuDu.

The 26" Knard and the On One Crawler might be candidates in future,

Smash Mode: ON
    I think you need to cough up some more info to get a good answer. What type and pace of riding do you typically do? What type of conditions??
    Whatever floats your bike, dude

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustin Mustangs View Post
    I think you need to cough up some more info to get a good answer. What type and pace of riding do you typically do? What type of conditions??
    To be honest I am just getting back into riding. I would say most of my riding would be light to moderate trail riding. Nothing too extreme. I live in Winnipeg Canada so it's relatively flat and we get extreme temperature changes from 100*F in summer to -40* or worse in winter.

Witty McWitterson
    For regular old dirt riding, with snow thrown in cause of the bikes, I think the best all around tire combo you're going to find is a Knard rear, HuDu front. I'm running HuDu rear, Nate front, and I've NEVER lacked for traction from either end. I do notice some drag from the Nate though. That's its only pitfall. Knard, Larry/BFL could be a good combo too. Especially for winter use.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Right now I'm leaning towards Nate rear and Bud front. I think Bud is the way to go up front. I like the size and I think it will roll quite well with that tread pattern. The Nate is about the most traction I can get from the rear but does not roll as well as others. Maybe a Knard (don't know if I can find one locally) or HD rear? Hmmmm

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I like the outright "kung fu" traction of Nate front and rear, despite the rolling resistance. Nate front, Larry rear left me wanting for more traction. This is on hardpack, loose over hard and sandstone rubble, no snow experience here yet.
    Fixing bikes for a living in Montana

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by druidh View Post
    I still think that HuDus are the bext all-round tyre.
    +1 they are good mix of fast rolling and grip, they are not to shabby on the scales either. The ultralights weighed in at a respectable 1230g
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    The knardes have almost as much traction as the nates as long as their isn't a bunch of pine straw but are fast almost to the point of slick tires!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    It`s really hard to get one set of tires to work great summer and winter.
    I`m running BFL`s summer and this winter it will be Lou front and Nate rear on my Mukluk.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Nate's seem to be real popular here year round by a lot of the hardcore fat bikers. Most seem to favour grip and not washing out over reduced rolling resistance. I guess there has to be a tipping point as to how much rolling resistance increases for a given traction gain. If not we would all be riding slicks. I guess I'm trying to figure out is the extra grip of Nate's worth the increased rolling resistance/weight of Husker Du's.

mtbr member
    bud front, nate rear. trust me Ian, the Nate is totally worth the rolling resistance. fat bikes need traction, all mtbs do for the terrain we ride. the husker or either of the larrys will be faster rolling, but lose the traction battle. the choice is yours Ian
    your 29er may float over roots and rocks, but my superlight 26 just plain floats

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by lamard View Post
    bud front, nate rear. trust me Ian, the Nate is totally worth the rolling resistance. fat bikes need traction, all mtbs do for the terrain we ride. the husker or either of the larrys will be faster rolling, but lose the traction battle. the choice is yours Ian
    Thanks Liam. Pick me out your lightest Nate/Bud and I will pick them up right away.

mtbr member
    will do tmo chief, i'm in the shop til 9
    your 29er may float over roots and rocks, but my superlight 26 just plain floats

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Whilst my experience is for a fat front setup - I have tried NTe and Hudu this winter ( my trails are woodsy muddy technical single track ) for me the Hudu wins it's 310g lighter rolls significantly faster and most importantly - it has just as much grip as my Nate. The Hudu for me is the ultimate. No, let's have a Big Fat Hudu please !!!!

Fat & Single
    Been swappin back and forward between my wheel sets, one has Trialtech/HuDu's and the other MargeLite/Bud's. Theres no doubt that for traction the Buds win hands down, if you need traction go for Nates,Buds or Louie.

Now somewhere that theres not a big difference is cornering grip and to be honest the HuDu's feel better probably because they are lighter, roll faster and are a more agile feeling tyre.... also remember the bud is just over 30" high, the HuDus are only 28 3/4 so theres a big difference in handling of the bike with the bigger tyres fitted. My HuDus are well down on the tread too.... not bald but the rear isn't looking sh1t hot

Its good to experience your fatbike in light'n'fast mode. They can certainly move and im no different on it as i was on my FS29er, once the bigger fatter grippier tyres are fitted theres a noticable resistance.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have the Nates on my 9zero7 and raced it yesterday on a muddy course. They didn't shed the mud too well. A butty's 45nrth Escalators worked pretty well

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mavicrider View Post
    I have the Nates on my 9zero7 and raced it yesterday on a muddy course. They didn't shed the mud too well. A butty's 45nrth Escalators worked pretty well
    Raced the same course yesterday(also on nates), no fat tire was shedding mud well in that mayhem.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GTR2ebike View Post
    Raced the same course yesterday(also on nates), no fat tire was shedding mud well in that mayhem.
    Good to know! Won't be rushing out to change tires. I do like the Nates a lot.

Looking forward to riding again...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm riding snow with Bud on Clown front, Nate on Darryl rear. It's good.

Enthusiast
    Jun 2009
    On Bud/Lou (changing to Nate because of rub) and the grip is phenomenal. Weight is significant and rolling resistance is quite high. Bombing loose sketchy stuff is noticeably better than HuDu. Going on the winter wheelset. For dry trail the HuDu has almost as much traction and way better rolling resistance, agile by comparison. Adding Dillinger/Escalator to the second wheelset for icy days!