try anything on a bike
    Sep 2008

Tires, tires, and more tires.

Ok bike is 2011 mukluk.
    Rims clownshoes
    Uses wet fall and spring, lots of leaves, snow (powder and wet), occasional dry hard pack, and pulling kids trailer on paved trail. So pretty much everything haha.
    Trying to find a set of tires I can set up tubeless and be done. Only really want one set for best all around use, obviously some sacrifices will be made but that's ok.
    Currently have Larry 3.8s with rear backwards
    Here's my thoughts so far.
    Nate rear, bud front. Best combo seems?
    Nate/nate. Most grip?
    Hudus good rolling and good grip
    Origin 8s. Heavy and appear between Larry and Nate grip wise. And cheap.

What do you guys recommend for me and why is it best and where do I sacrifice? Price no worries. It's only money.

Thanks for the input!!

And a pic for looking.

2012 Anthem X29 4 - mine
    2011 Mukluk - mine
    2013 Talon 0 29er womens - wife's.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Dillingers.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I am thinking two sets of tires. Nate type tires for winter. Hudu, knard type tire for summer. Larry and Knard may be the only ones that play nice on paved surfaces. None of them are tubeless ready by design.

try anything on a bike
    Sep 2008

Tires, tires, and more tires.

Quote Originally Posted by JAGI410 View Post
    Dillingers.
    Those look nice actually. How are they in mud and wet?

2012 Anthem X29 4 - mine
    2011 Mukluk - mine
    2013 Talon 0 29er womens - wife's.

mtbr member
    "None tubeless ready by design" but I've seen a lot of the local fat bikers running tubeless. Their biggest challenge is getting the tires to seat, but once they climbed that hurdle, they love it. I'd love to convert to tubeless but I simply haven't made the time & effort. Running Q-tubes Super Light 26x2.4 tubes and outside of the occasional pinch flat, I've been happy with weight and performance.
    Blue_Biker... you are looking for fat tire nirvana...I've not yet found it. So I run two different sets of tires... Nate/Bud in the Fall to Spring and Black Floyds in the Summer. I've considered the Knard as a year-rounder, but based on my experience with my Krampus, I am not sold. I plan on sticking with my two-sets until fat tire nirvana finally comes to fruition.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'd recommend Nate/Nate in the 120TPI or a pair of the studless Dillingers or HuDu's. You could always pick up a Bud for the front later and rotate it in if conditions warrant the beast up front. Bud front and Nate rear combo is my go to pairing in wet or deep snow

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    For those of you who recommend the Dillingers, how have you found their durability? I stop running HuDu's because they wore out so quickly.

Fat Biker
    I got 1500 tubeless trail miles on my Escalators before my rear snagged the sharp edge of a rock. Front is still in great shape. That rear was soon to be replaced with a new Dillenger anyway as I was sliding a lot on loose corners.

Sent from my mobile
    Don't be a Hater!
    SS Black Sheep Phat Speedster
    Borealis Yampa XX1

Rolling on 2 Fat Tires-Blog

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacons View Post
    ... Nate/Bud in the Fall to Spring and Black Floyds in the Summer. I've considered the Knard as a year-rounder, but based on my experience with my Krampus, I am not sold. I plan on sticking with my two-sets until fat tire nirvana finally comes to fruition.
    Black Floyds in the dirt? What are your trails like? I have a pair myself but never considered using them besides on road or gravel.

I'm happy with my HuDus but the knobs are getting low. I wanted to get another pair, but am curious about the upcoming Specialized fat tires. Anybody know when they're coming out?
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    Drevil... my trails tend to be dry, rooty, single-track (hard pack). However, the Floyds are terrible on anything but dry. I logged quite a few miles this past summer on them with no drama. Pump 'em up to 30psi for the tarmac, and they rolled nice and fast.

try anything on a bike
    Sep 2008
    ok, little more info i will consolidate for everyone here. I have spoken with LBS and they are going to let me try out a few different tires for a few rides each and i can go from there. So I will post my impressions as well, for whatever that may be worth (probably not much haha).

Vee Rubber Mission: $60
    60 TPI, 1860g. Heavy, seems like probably cheaper, harder rubber, so Ill pass.

Origin8 Devist8er: $65
    120 TPI, 1750g. Heavy also, and cheap, so worried about quality, Ill pass.

Surly Nate: $90/$150
    27/120 TPI, 1730/1350g. Serious grip, give up on rolling resistance, but the grip. Ill try em out in 120TPI.

Surly Knard: $90/$150
    27/120TPI, 1650/1250g. Sounds like a good compromise between Nate and Larry. Ill try out the 120TPI again.

45NRTH Husker Du: $110/$150
    27/120TPI, 1520/1240g. Sounds again like compromise between Nate and Larry with different tread patter, possible better RR due to more closely spaced center knobs. Going to try 120TPI but hear lots of complaints about wear, so I am cautious.

45NRTH Dillenger Studless: $165
    120TPI, 1250g. Sounds like they grip very well, will make a great snow tire, we will see how they do on the rest.

Keep in mind, I am running clownshoes, therefore the 3.8/4.0 tires will not be as rounded and as a result I will lose some cornering grip compared to someone running rolling daryls. The CS's will probably also affect my rolling resistance since the tire is flatter and more will be in contact with ground. I am not super concerned about RR on paved surfaces, I wont be racing/commuting on them, just bringing the kids to park and around town.

More reviews to come. Right now leaning towards the Knard.