mtbr member

Tires, and speed, race times

So we had a Fatbike race at our local ski touring center, and had every type of tire represented. The question arose as to which tire was "fastest" on today's hard pack conditions. The winner was running a Surley Lou, second was on a Krumpus w/ a 29x3, and we also had a smattering of 45n and other tires. Today's race was 10k on hard packed groomed ski trails.

The top guys are the top guys and I don't think any tire slows them down, the winner did 10k in 20min.

What do you all think, do the bigger tires (5 in) help or hinder on hard packed snow vs. a smaller (4 in) or the 29x3?

Is bigger always better?

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    ...The winner was running a Surley Lou...
    Just one? Was he on a fat unicycle?
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Fat & Single

the winner did 10k in 20min.
    30kph !!!!

The elite field in a MTB race averages 20-22kph, i cant even come back from a flattish bike path blast on my CX and average 25kph usually.

This snow riding caper sounds easy
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Nuts
    We just had a 21 mile race and it was a mix of fast hard pack and with some that could hardly be rode with a little bit of hike a bike. Every tire combo was represented and winner was on a Larry Endo combo. Just saying some dudes are going to win no matter what they are riding.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    For speed I find it hard to beat a Larry Endo combo. They don't have the most float and don't do well on off camber or steep climbing but they are fast.

I'm how far behind?
    Fast guys will be fast regardless of tire selection, just as slow guys will be slow on the fastest of tires.
    Fatter than most.

mtbr member
    I just wondered that if like on the road where a 25c tire will roll better over rough pavement than a 23c, if the 5in rolls better than a 4in, if all other variables were the same.

Laramie, Wyoming
    The fast guys might always be fast but they will be much slower with bigger and heavier tires and wheels.

You won't see many Bud and Lou combinations on the fast courses. And you won't see many winners on steel bikes any longer either.

mtbr member
    Who won the race, was it Brad from Ericksen Cycles ? He's smok'in fast and runs BFL's front and back. He says, yeah there big and heavy but the bigger tires are faster and I would say especially the BFL's for obvious reasons.

So if the winner had Lou's maybe it wasn't Brad but I think he's right about the bigger tires. I've experienced it myself, even on a Bud/Lou combo. Handling skills come into the equation as well and of course, horsepower !

mtbr member
    Tire pressure is key to how well a fat bike rolls. Pump 'em up tight and they roll easy, hiss 'em down and they don't.

It's give and take, find the pressure that works for the situation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danaco View Post
    Who won the race, was it Brad from Ericksen Cycles ? He's smok'in fast and runs BFL's front and back. He says, yeah there big and heavy but the bigger tires are faster and I would say especially the BFL's for obvious reasons.

So if the winner had Lou's maybe it wasn't Brad but I think he's right about the bigger tires. I've experienced it myself, even on a Bud/Lou combo. Handling skills come into the equation as well and of course, horsepower !
    It was Brad, and I'm sure with his horsepower, would have won on anything. His Ti Eriksen was light, and I doubt any tire on that bike would slow it down.

mtbr member
    It was Brad, and I'm sure with his horsepower, would have won on anything. His Ti Eriksen was light, and I doubt any tire on that bike would slow it down.
    Yup, not surprising ! So was he running Lou's F&R or the combo ? I ask because I've been thinking a Lou would be good in the front, better than a Bud, so Lou F&R.

Because of the float those tires have on 100mm rims even on hard pack snow they do feel fast despite their weight.

BTW...are there any race results posted on the web that you know of ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danaco View Post
    Yup, not surprising ! So was he running Lou's F&R or the combo ? I ask because I've been thinking a Lou would be good in the front, better than a Bud, so Lou F&R.
    I've been hearing a bit about people running Lou on the front also, but I'm curious why it might be better than a Bud. With the way the tread is laid out on the Bud, it seems it would be the best design to prevent the tire from washing out. But maybe I'm wrong.
    - Mark Ehlers
    The Prodigal Cyclist

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by marathon marke View Post
    I've been hearing a bit about people running Lou on the front also, but I'm curious why it might be better than a Bud. With the way the tread is laid out on the Bud, it seems it would be the best design to prevent the tire from washing out. But maybe I'm wrong.
    I'm going to comment but keep in mind I have not tried a Lou up front yet. My thinking is the Bud actually works opposite to what it was intended to do, track a line, it does not feel like it does that well especially on side slopes, even slight ones in snow.

In theory, to me, with Lou's multi directional tread pattern I just see as a better directional tire for steering/side slopes and perhaps a little scary on hard braking. I love to hear feedback from anyone that's tried the Lou up front.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob View Post
    Just one? Was he on a fat unicycle?
    While you're at it, you might as well give him grief for spelling Surly wrong.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    So we had a Fatbike race at our local ski touring center, and had every type of tire represented. The question arose as to which tire was "fastest" on today's hard pack conditions. The winner was running a Surley Lou, second was on a Krumpus w/ a 29x3, and we also had a smattering of 45n and other tires. Today's race was 10k on hard packed groomed ski trails.

The top guys are the top guys and I don't think any tire slows them down, the winner did 10k in 20min.

What do you all think, do the bigger tires (5 in) help or hinder on hard packed snow vs. a smaller (4 in) or the 29x3?

Is bigger always better?
    How many guys showed up anyway? I'm out of town and nothing in the paper.

mtbr member
    We had 20 racers, but it was the first event and I only hear of it on Thursday. Two more races are on the schedule, February.22 at the touring center, and one in March at a local TBD.

I didn't check out Brads ride too close or quiz him on why he ran what he did. I try not to geek out about bike stuff to my friends that work everyday in the bike industry, it keep them friendly to not bring up their work when they are at play.

Sorry about the spelling, auto correct sometimes does wide things to what I type, and Really if grammar and punctuation count for you so much, you need to ride more and worry less about forums. Or keep your criticism to yourself, and post on topic, that for me is far worse forum behavior than my typos.

mtbr member
    Link to the series, we spoke to the promoter about longer courses, and rumor is that the February, 22 race may feature some snowshoe trails at the Steamboat Touring center.

XTERRA Snowshoe Series Steamboat Springs Colorado

mtbr member
    May 2012
    We had 20 racers, but it was the first event and I only hear of it on Thursday. Two more races are on the schedule, February.22 at the touring center, and one in March at a local TBD.

I didn't check out Brads ride too close or quiz him on why he ran what he did. I try not to geek out about bike stuff to my friends that work everyday in the bike industry, it keep them friendly to not bring up their work when they are at play.

Sorry about the spelling, auto correct sometimes does wide things to what I type, and Really if grammar and punctuation count for you so much, you need to ride more and worry less about forums. Or keep your criticism to yourself, and post on topic, that for me is far worse forum behavior than my typos.

Are you talking to me?
    I think you spel just fine.

nothing to see here
    Humour is lost on some people. I have a box of tissues and a hug for anyone who feels they need it after reading my comments. Lighten up peeps.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.