mtbr member
    Nov 2014

Tires - F/R combos....?

This could be a good thread to post good (or bad) F/R combos (mixed sets) people have tried..or are curious about.

So anybody tried Specialized GC 4.6 in back, Surly Bud 4.8 in Front?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Bud with anything on back depending on terrain.

I have done:
    Bud n Lou for deep unconsolidated snow, slow rollers, aka pedal downhill
    Bud n Minion DHR for unconsolidated snow up to packed/groomed snow. Will roll slower on groomed, but save you when you go off trail.
    Bud n Bud on dirt and first snowfall. Rear Bud can spin on wet roots. Rolls ok, but heavy
    Bud n Barbegazzi on dirt and a few inches of snow. Rear hooked up great, rolled great too.

I haven't found a better alternative to Bud up front, waiting to try 2XL's

mtbr member
    Funny, I just put a GC 4.6 in the back of my wife's old blue Muk. Bud in front. Both on Clown Shoes. We haven't ridden yet.

I also just mounted a GC 4.6 on a Marge. I was surprised it fit on the rear of my Waltworks. Will likely couple with a Bud up front. Haven't decided yet.

For the real nasty stuff I prefer a Lou up front with a Nate in back. Best combo I've found for deep wet snow.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack'sDad View Post
    Bud with anything on back depending on terrain.

I have done:
    Bud n Lou for deep unconsolidated snow, slow rollers, aka pedal downhill
    Bud n Minion DHR for unconsolidated snow up to packed/groomed snow. Will roll slower on groomed, but save you when you go off trail.
    Bud n Bud on dirt and first snowfall. Rear Bud can spin on wet roots. Rolls ok, but heavy
    Bud n Barbegazzi on dirt and a few inches of snow. Rear hooked up great, rolled great too.

I haven't found a better alternative to Bud up front, waiting to try 2XL's
    Have you had a chance to run the 2XL's ?

Wondering what a Bud in the rear would be like in 6-8 inches of snow ?
    I have trouble keeping the bike moving with a Lou in back - anything uphill kills the momentum.
    Have a Barbegazzi to try but the tread pattern doesn't look like it would be great for more than 4 inches of snow. Thinking of trying a 4.6 Maxxis FBF on the rear - hoping to get better lateral traction than Surly Lou, if that's possible (?)
    Last edited by Sir Surly; 12-20-2016 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Missed syntax

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I have GC4.6 back in summer setup with JJ4.8 in front. Winter mode is D5 front and a GC4.6 in back (spikes). I think it's a decent rear tire. Tire pressure affects the compromise between rolling and traction a lot with GC.

Lähetetty minun SM-T325 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by solisti View Post
    I have GC4.6 back in summer setup with JJ4.8 in front. Winter mode is D5 front and a GC4.6 in back (spikes). I think it's a decent rear tire. Tire pressure affects the compromise between rolling and traction a lot with GC.

Lähetetty minun SM-T325 laitteesta Tapatalkilla
    The Ground Control in back is spiked ? What type of spikes do you use ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Minion 4.8 front and rear, fun tires, no complaints, very supportive at low pressures, nice and carvy at speed, mmmm minions

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Surly View Post
    The Ground Control in back is spiked ? What type of spikes do you use ?
    Schwalbe replacement spikes for Ice Spikers. I drilled the holes by myself. Just about 100 spikes (I used the small individual knobs on the sides) to help with lateral grip on icy surfaces. Works nicely.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Oh yes, and if the local forum word is to be believed, GC is not good with smooth rock surfaces. Can't really say, my other bikes Knard works better in those kind of surfaces, but in my area rocky areas are scarce.

mtbr member
    Nate f/r has been my favorite setup so far. Worked well on everthing except deep snow. Just not enough float.

Barbegazi f/r great fast rolling tire. Floats well over soft stuff, but lacks lateral traction. It's difficult to corner or ride slow in snow. Fast on sand.

Vee Missions f/r don't ever buy these. They weren't good at anything.

I plan to pickup a Bud and Lou to run during winter and keep the Barbegazis for dirt.

Music & Bikes
    I've tried Bud F and Nate R

I love Nates , good traction but @ 4'' , there is better flotation around.
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    FBF w/kold kutters; FBR w/lath screws(both in 4.8). I run this combo because I believe it the best in the market for all out cornering traction on ice & hardpack, due primarily to the stout tread blocks.

In dry loose snow, the FBR is mildly superior to a Lou, in all situations(ice is no contest, of course), while the Snowshoe 2x is noticeably better in tracking/washout vs the FBF.

Studded Minions destroy factory studded Snowshoe XL in every discernable category.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I'm now running Bud/Lou - as everybody knows it's a great combo in snow (which is where I almost exclusively ride my fatty). But it's improvement over the Spec GC wasn't as great as I expected. Bud up front is a bigger improvement than Lou in back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    For a bike that will only take a 4" tire in back, I recommend a Vanhelga for a rear tire. I am using that on an early Mukluk with a Dillinger 5 on the front.Combo works well on fairly deep snow. I am sure Bud & Lou float better but they won't fit, at least not on the rear.

#THELEGEND
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    Minion 4.8 front and rear, fun tires, no complaints, very supportive at low pressures, nice and carvy at speed, mmmm minions
    100% agree. My bike came with Minion 4.8's (EXO,TR) front and rear, love them and have yet to find a fault. Pedal easily, gripppppppp, durable, corner amazing and easy peasy tubeless setup.
    #THELEGEND
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail (Alu)

sluice box
    Quote Originally Posted by CObikeman View Post
    This could be a good thread to post good (or bad) F/R combos (mixed sets) people have tried..or are curious about.

So anybody tried Specialized GC 4.6 in back, Surly Bud 4.8 in Front?
    Yup. Only to clear the rear of my 170mm Fatback. Now they are on a xs Specialized Helga and now I'm running Wazia 4.6 front and 45nrth D5 rear.
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Im running a gnarwhal front and hodag rear.

Front gives me good steering, and keeps the front from going out on ice.

Rear is speedy but gives me good traction.

I ride mainly packed singletrack so not alot of need for pow tires.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

turtles make me hot
    I run Bud on the front and usually, a 4.8 Knard on the rear. Lou when there's snow and a 29+ Chupacabra on a 45mm rim when I want to go a little faster.
    I like turtles

aka bOb
    For snow I prefer the Flowbeist/Dunderbeist over Bud and Lou.

Flow/GC would be a good combo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Bud up front, it is slow but my favorite. Cornering grip for days. I like Nate out back, it's faster than Lou and I feel like more grip than Dillinger. Haven't tried Flow/Dunder, but have heard great things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like a FirePlug
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    I concur. At a race a couple of weeks ago, frozen golf course, lots of off camber turns on frozen mud @ 6psi, the Minions held their own quite well.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Keep the Rubber Side Down

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'd like to try Minions. For now I have Bud/GC on my Fatboy and Bud/Lou (trimmed) on my Boris.

Tires are a dilemma for sure. None are perfect for everything. Ideally I'd have a set of 2XLs for deep snow, a set of studded tires for icy conditions, and a set of light super fast rolling tires for nicely groomed conditions. But that is a PITA if tubeless, and I can't afford three wheel sets...

Fred