mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Tire pressure in sand: Too low or too high?

When I ride in the sand it feels bouncy which I would like to limit if possible. does that mean I need to fill the tire or let some air out. Which tire would affect that bouncy feeling more, front or back? Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I find bounce comes from the back when pressure is low. I'm 175 lbs and run 5 psi rear and 4 psi front.

mighty sailin' man
    Good thing you asked in the forum first.
    Would have been awful to make the wrong choice
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    wheelies, beyond being the best way over any sort of obstacle, both above or below, are are the steedliest expresstion of joy

Fat & Single
    As we all know the beach is not a consistent surface so you are always either to hard or too soft. You will also find that if your pedalling technique and your gear selection will be a big factor in the pedal bounce , pedal a bigger gear and don't stab the pedals, rather a complete revolution for reduced bounce.

When you hit a nice stretch of hardpacked sand you could be running 12psi no worries, 3 strokes later there's underlying seaweed and you'll sink.

Ive found riding on the beach is all about a happy medium that you can put up with, you will soon get fed up deflating and inflating tyres 3-4 times every ride. I even ride the 3km road home with 4-5psi in my tyres after a beachy.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    generally i am riding when the sand is at low tight so it is more of a hard pack and bouncy. Does that mean then that I would want to inflate a little or is it just bouncy because it is sand?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    i mean "low tide"

Fat & Single
    If you are riding on hardpacked sand, definitely try increasing pressure to find your happy place.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Ive found riding on the beach is all about a happy medium that you can put up with, you will soon get fed up deflating and inflating tyres 3-4 times every ride. I even ride the 3km road home with 4-5psi in my tyres after a beachy.
    +1 - you will go crazy if you try to optimize your tire pressure for all conditions. I can adjust pressure a couple times a day if I really think it will be beneficial, but on my trips to Baja I just set it and forget it for weeks at a time.

For sure the ride on rocks and pavement is not ideal and in really deep loose sand it's harder than it could be, but I can usually vary the sand firmness to match my tire pressure by choosing which part of the beach I ride on. It's way firm by the water [especially if the tide is going out] and really fluffy up high on the beach.

It's sort of the beach equivalent of finding the right line on a techy dirt trail.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com