Thread: Tire Issues

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Tire Issues

New to fat bikes with my first ride on my own Pug last night. Loved it!

My professional work is in materials research and product development for tire industry so I was wondering what are the modes of failure for fat tires. The low pressure and the desire for low weight makes for a some different challenge than mountain or road bike tires. Fat tire market is not even a blip in my companies product view but at times I come into contact with bike tire product engineers and possibly we can leverage something to help develop a better offering. The high tpi casing is an obvious performance gain for compliance, fatigue and damage tolerance. I have some ideas on fat bike tire handling enhancement while maintaining compliance but need more riding time (research) to better develop them.

Some initial questions are:

Why do you replace fat tires? Knob wear, carcass failure? Any unique issues that wear out a fat tire vs other bike tires?

When you have flats is it more often a pin hole puncture or a cut puncture?

What performance improvement do you want and what part of the tire do you think needs to be improved to get it.

Thanks.......Montster

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    So far...

Zero fat tire failures.

I replace a tire when I want a different tread or size.

I have had one flat in 14 months. Likely a pinch flat. No tire damage.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I had to replace some Endomorphs after wearing out the sidewalls. They had about 4000km on them. The tread was nearly gone as well.
    I have several tires that I have not significantly worn that have been replaced by new sizes or styles of tire.
    I would like to see lighter tires, but I know that it would be difficult to achieve the same level of reliability and feel.

Fat & Single
    Tread wear, ive scrubbed a HuDu in 4 months of hard'ish singletrack use(rear). Still a little bit on it but im glad its now dry here or i would have to replace it.... they get faster as they loose their knobs
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX