mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Tire Combinations

I've been riding some of our local singletrack here in Eastern Iowa more lately since they have opened (been wet as heck) and am really impressed with the One One Floater front and Knard rear. The amount of grip you get going through corners is amazing. Running about 10-12 psi in each. I had on Larry's before this and it is night and day the amount of grip they have on dirt. I'm not sure I'll be riding much else since it so much friggin fun.

What is everyone else running on trail this Summer? I'm curious and enjoy trying the different tires out. I'd like to get one of the new Vee8's, I would imagine they are similar to the Knard?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    HuDu front and rear. Fast rolling tire.

ouch....
    Quote Originally Posted by 98srx6 View Post
    HuDu front and rear. Fast rolling tire.
    X2 only downside is the price.
    Riding.....

Did I do that?"
    May 2013
    Knards 26"

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Nate front, Knard rear

mtbr member
    On One Floaters. Great traction on single track. Not the fastest roller but can't beat the traction (though I haven't ridden Nates). HuDus in winter.
    Steel Fatback

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    X2 only downside is the price.
    And how fast they wear.

Very surprised how well Bud's put up with dirt, rock and mud. Rolling resistance is not as nice as some but 4.8's put a smile on my face that no other tyre comes close to. I hardly use my HuDu set these days.... once you go FAT (4.8's) it's hard to go back.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    May 2012

Hope

Raul,
    Just got Surly pals "Bud" & "Big Fat Larry" to ride with me in Nevada desert. I'll let ya know how this pair ride when compared to my old friends "Endo" & "Little Larry".
    Bud is tattooed with directional arrows regarding choice between cornering or propulsion. Anyone notice a major difference in Bud's attitude regarding cornering arrow or his

Looking forward to Global Fat Night Ride!!!! Making sure batteries are fresh!
    Last edited by Nevaditude; 06-20-2013 at 02:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raul34 View Post
    Knard rear. The amount of grip you get going through corners is amazing. Running about 10-12 psi in each.
    Take the knard down to 8 psi and see how much grip you can have, not to mention how much more plush it is. I hover around 240lbs and it's not too low even when being agressive over very rooty terrain. Like warm butter...

I am currently using a HuDu up front with it. I wanted something more aggressive than a larry. It works well but I haven't gotten it on really silty loose stuff yet which is what I wanted it for. Our trails have been damp for months with no chance to fully dry out. It self steers more than I would like when aired down. I originally considered a Knard up front as well but afraid of a bunch of self steer from it as well.
    http://twofattires.com - Fat Bike community, forums and resource.

mtbr member
    Traction on the Floater is pretty sweet but I'm taking it off the rear soon as winter is over, it feels like I'm dragging a log after having a hudu on there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mochunk View Post
    Take the knard down to 8 psi and see how much grip you can have, not to mention how much more plush it is. I hover around 240lbs and it's not too low even when being agressive over very rooty terrain. Like warm butter...

I am currently using a HuDu up front with it. I wanted something more aggressive than a larry. It works well but I haven't gotten it on really silty loose stuff yet which is what I wanted it for. Our trails have been damp for months with no chance to fully dry out. It self steers more than I would like when aired down. I originally considered a Knard up front as well but afraid of a bunch of self steer from it as well.
    I'll give that a try. I'm about 175 so I don't think I should have any problem lowering it a bit. There is a pretty fine line between too high, bouncy and too low.

ouch....
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    And how fast they wear.

Very surprised how well Bud's put up with dirt, rock and mud. Rolling resistance is not as nice as some but 4.8's put a smile on my face that no other tyre comes close to. I hardly use my HuDu set these days.... once you go FAT (4.8's) it's hard to go back.
    Yah, the thoughts of putting a 4.8 on the lefty keep popping in my head.....but then I fear I will want the same in the rear LOL oh that sounded bad.
    Riding.....

Bad cat!
    Another for Natenatenatenatenate forever up front, whatever in back--can't really tell the diff between hudu and knard, both seem effective as summer rear tires. I echo the Hudu quick wear observations. Haven't been able to find (or exceed anyway) Nate's traction limit in a loose corner...

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Yah, the thoughts of putting a 4.8 on the lefty keep popping in my head.....but then I fear I will want the same in the rear LOL oh that sounded bad.
    Yeah, I've got this combo - Lefty with 100mm/4.8 on the front 100mm/3.8 on the back

In the soft stuff, I can tell the difference when the rear tire goes thru what the front floated over. Definitely more work for me vs buddy with Moonie & 2 100/4.8's.

Oh, yeah - BFL front/skinnyLarry rear.

On my Moonie, it's BFL front, Lou rear. Much better less slip/spin in soft and more climbing traction with the knobby on back
    Fatbikes are much more fun than they should be allowed to be!

WSS/OSS: open source sealant

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wadester View Post
    On my Moonie, it's BFL front, Lou rear. Much better less slip/spin in soft and more climbing traction with the knobby on back
    +1 On my Moonie. BFL Front, Lou Rear.