mtbr member

Tire Changing and Tubeless FAST

I've got Mulefut rims with Barbegazzis for summer and studded Dillinger 5's for winter. I've changed tires four times now.

The first time I had to break the Barbi's off the mulefuts which sucked, then installed the Fattystrippers and D5s. It was tedious and took some time.

The second time I pulled the D5's for the summer. I was able to reuse the Fattystrippers but I had to be pretty careful. It was tedious and took some time.

The third time I put the D5s on for winter and decided to use the Sunringle tape. Took some time to make sure the tape was done right.

The weather in MN looks to be above freezing for two weeks and I don't like the rolling resistance of the D5s if I don't need them for ice. Love the Barbis.

Uggh. Do I go through the hassle of swapping tires and swapping back again in two weeks?

So I said screw it, with the practice I've had I'm going to bang this out.

I was able to:

-Swap tires
    -Reuse the Stan's (syringe)
    -Clean the chain and cassette
    -Clean the Stan's out of the D5's for storing

In less than 40 minutes. I was super stoked because it seemed like such a huge project the last three times.

Experience was helpful but the tape was definitely key as I didn't have to worry about installing or reusing the Fattystripper.

"At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

turtles make me hot
    Nice. I recently built new Other Brother Darryls for my bike and wanted to put Big Fat Larrys on my Clownshoes for beach use. The Clownshoes are set up split tubeless. I changed Bud and 4.8 Knard to BL, split tube today.
    I cannot believe how difficult it was to pull this all apart today. I could have ridden these tires in snow at 1 psi and they would have stayed on the rims.
    I taped the Other Brother Darryls up with Whiskey tape and am planning to swap Lou with a 4.8 Knard as conditions change. The Clownshoes are going to stay the same from now on.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I just bought a few sets of the Borealis wheels to avoid having to change them. At $300/set, it was worth it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

mtbr member
    Seems like a great deal to me. I wish they'd offer a 100mm option.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    good job, Im finding a good tape job is key after a second failure, and its easy to put the expensive sealant into a bowl and put a lid on it. I just happened to have a flexible plastic bowl and a huge mixed nuts plastic lid that fit snug over it. The flex in the bowl when you squeeze it makes a good enough pouring spout.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I pulled off some Bulldozers a few weeks ago and noticed that the SR tape on my Mulefut had bunched up at one section. I don't think it happened during the removal of the tire. I'm amazed it was holding air. I had to thoroughly clean the rim and retape, which was not that big a deal but kind of annoying.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ak-rider View Post
    Seems like a great deal to me. I wish they'd offer a 100mm option.
    They did when I ordered them. I got 2 sets and they're very good.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

mtbr member
    40 minutes? That's incredible. Make a video for youtube next time. I have the same rims and the first time I did a tire swap took a 3 hours just to break the bead of the first tire! It required so much force I was really concerned I was going the break something. The second tire was quite a bit faster but I learned one thing: I'm never fixing a flat out in the field. I think if I needed to swap tires right now I'd give myself a couple of hours. If I decide to get a set of studded tires I'm just going to buy another wheelset.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverborama View Post
    40 minutes? That's incredible. Make a video for youtube next time. I have the same rims and the first time I did a tire swap took a 3 hours just to break the bead of the first tire! It required so much force I was really concerned I was going the break something. The second tire was quite a bit faster but I learned one thing: I'm never fixing a flat out in the field. I think if I needed to swap tires right now I'd give myself a couple of hours. If I decide to get a set of studded tires I'm just going to buy another wheelset.
    I'm with you. I'm not sure how long it took me to swap the Barbi's out the first time but "forever" would be close.

After spending $500 on the D5's I don't have a spare wheelset in the budget....which is why I was thrilled to do the swap so quick!
    "At least I'm enjoying the ride"

16' Trek 8.4 DS
    16' Farley 7
    and I'm OK admitting..
    16' Sturgis

Minneapolis MN

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Glad to see you switched to tape. Why people use Fattystrippers on tubeless ready rims continues to befuddle me. They have their place on non tubeless rims, but even then taking the time and making a vacuum bag liner will give you a more durable, reusuable option.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    One awesome benefits of carbon rims is how easy it is to swap tires. Only takes as long as a normal tubed tire